Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Something I also hadnt realised, very glad that you have brought this up before I started adding them to Brent!

The down station building was adorned with posters, timetables etc and not enamel signs in the main.

post-13158-0-16117500-1396643307_thumb.jpg.d6c12914b36616e2996367088cea5097.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

Interesting work on the coaches, I have a stash of part finished examples too, but I'm using the excuse that I still have a lot of layout to build.

I'll be using Rule#1 about enamel signs too. Aston is so back of beyond, the Great Western forgot they had it! ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

It must have been tricky getting the trains through with those giant letters placed across the line?

I have heard that the GWR employed members of the Magic Circle especially for that purpose ! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, checkrail said:

So the signs in the photo below couldn't have co-existed with a copper-capped Aylburton Grange

Of course they could. We have the photographic evidence right there!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I got a lump in my throat reading that.

You have a bigger problem though.  Some of yours go ‘inside’ for other trains to pass and that requires the glass to be changed.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

You have a bigger problem though.  Some of yours go ‘inside’ for other trains to pass and that requires the glass to be changed.

Paul.

I'll need to make sure that only fully-fitted trains go into the Down Goods Loop then!

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Do you frequent the Western Thunder forum @checkrail as the guy doing the pow's for Kingswear has done this beauty that's right up our street. Decent removeable loads are available from Bachmann.

renwick.jpeg.403662bd5533a795e76b3471e4755f7e.jpeg

Must go and have a look, I came very close to buying that layout before I started on Brent.  They’ve done a fantastic job so far (and an O13 milk brake in background)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, checkrail said:

This time you can't see the roof purlins behind the footbridge!

Never noticed them, John, it's a great pic.

And then something did jump out at me - the size of the lettering, and the proportion of lettering size to perimeter, on the station signs.

Here's Windsor and Henley-in-Arden, the latter being an extract from a Warwickshirerailways page: there are different lettering sizes, but the lettering size and the sign perimeter size appear to be roughly in the same proportion.

windsor-small.jpg.3f39aa2ae56788fcad66304de545a74d.jpg

henley-in-arden-station-signs.jpg.0b84fa6f30fdacb0d78243b7d1b62a67.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

And then something did jump out at me - the size of the lettering, and the proportion of lettering size to perimeter, on the station signs.

Hmm, you had me leafing through the books again last night Miss P.!  I copied the signs directly from the laser-cut plywood ones that came with the Timber Tracks kit, as illustrated in the photo on the front of the kit box below.  (I set up and printed my own on the computer because I couldn't manage to paint the TT raised letters as neatly as I would have liked.)  

P1060827.JPG.7c333e704bd384713942269a167ab11a.JPG

For a while you had me wondering if I'd made the classic error of building a model of a model and perpetuating an inaccuracy.  But a perusal of the albums shows quite a few instances where the lettering fills the frame much more fully than the examples you cite (not least the 'platform' signs at Paddington and Snow Hill but also various others across the system).  My 1978 ed. of 'Great Western Way' (Appendix III: standard notice boards) gives the dimensions of ready made standard signs (mainly smaller ones) but notes that the cast metal letters were also provided individually in 12 different heights, ranging from 1" to 18".  Those on my 'Gentlemen' sign are a scale 9".  

So I'll leave them for now and maybe come back to it another year.

John C.  

Edited by checkrail
missed out word 'individually'
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, checkrail said:

But a perusal of the albums shows quite a few instances where the lettering fills the frame much more fully than the examples you cite

Thanks John. And I'm not surprised - Appendix III is sufficiently convoluted !

It's as convoluted as Pannier pictures...

• Agree 2