Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

Forgive me if I’ve asked before, how did you do the curtains on your H33.

I’ve just dug mine out in preparation of forming a new Plymouth - Paddington set to make use of the slip (that’s nearly built), but just realised it has no curtains (or door handles) so I will need to do a little more work to finish off the h33 once I finish with the brass…

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Lovely photos as usual John and all the talk about coaches has me thinking about next weeks Hornby announcement. A new restaurant car wouldn’t go amiss.

Yes a new Restaurant carriage would be good. Let’s hope it’s not one I am about to start building!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, that looks a really good solution, I think I currently have a H33, H26, A20, A22, a whole set of centenaries and probably something else as well all requiring curtains (did the sunshine stock have them?  that would add another two coaches...  So I am going to have quite a few of them to cut!

The H33 was converted years ago (predating the latest Hornby Colletts by a year or two), I did two D95 at the same time neither of which are finished after using the early version of the model which arrived on BR bogies, and being replaced by the new Hornby one by the time I finished.  Giving serious thought to using the more recent Collett coach as a basis and starting again...

• Informative/Useful 3

15 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Giving serious thought to using the more recent Collett coach as a basis and starting again...

If using the  newer Hornby Collett for conversions, I have found the non corridor stock more useful as they do not have roof tanks. Maybe it is me but I do not find removing roof tanks and having a smooth surface easy, but I can add end steps without much issue. I had a spare set of K38 and brake compo sides and some of the non corridor compos was being sold off cheap from Peter's Spares. Straight forward conversion with the better detailed underframe and coaches..... and no roof tanks to remove!

I am on with a toplight C32 using the non corridor. I have a picture of a C32 with replacement 7ft bogies. Worsley Works make the sides and ends...challenge accepted.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

If using the  newer Hornby Collett for conversions, I have found the non corridor stock more useful as they do not have roof tanks. Maybe it is me but I do not find removing roof tanks and having a smooth surface easy, but I can add end steps without much issue. I had a spare set of K38 and brake compo sides and some of the non corridor compos was being sold off cheap from Peter's Spares. Straight forward conversion with the better detailed underframe and coaches..... and no roof tanks to remove!

I am on with a toplight C32 using the non corridor. I have a picture of a C32 with replacement 7ft bogies. Worsley Works make the sides and ends...challenge accepted.

Mike Wiltshire

Interesting Mike thank you - I'm currently struggling to get water tanks off - Although my current project relies on the Bachmann collett as a donor.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Lovely as ever John, a 45xx always looks good.

(FWIW today I learnt that the Dapol O Gauge version is now in production so fingers crossed it may reach our shores by Easter this year !?! )

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bgman said:

(FWIW today I learnt that the Dapol O Gauge version is now in production so fingers crossed it may reach our shores by Easter this year !?! )

Didn't know Dapol were doing a 45xx in 0 gauge.  Will look forward to seeing that - could be very tempting!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, bgman said:

I do believe even our mutual good friend @2ManySpams and he of Southern persuasion has one on order for Pencarrow. ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Wouldn't the Hornby 42xx be an easier starting point?

Oops, that will teach me to read the preceding posts before commenting! Didn't realise we had slipped into 0 gauge mode!!

Edited by Tallpaul69
mistype!!
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, 2ManySpams said:

Yes, in 7mm to use as a door stop.

Very expensive but GOOD taste mon brave ! 

Will it be running across the carpet as well ?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, bgman said:

Very expensive but GOOD taste mon brave ! 

Will it be running across the carpet as well ?

Yes, and also tested in a paddling pool...

Fingers crossed it turns out to be a good un, Dapol can be a bit hit and miss. Obviously will become 4569.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, checkrail said:

Didn't know Dapol were doing a 45xx in 0 gauge.  Will look forward to seeing that - could be very tempting!

1 minute ago, 2ManySpams said:

Yes, and also tested in a paddling pool...

I must apologise on behalf of my friend John, he knows not what he is doing, one day all railway layouts will be GWR based :D

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If it helps, we've had vandals since at least Roman times. It actually comes from a tribal name.

Ha ha!  You're right.  By coincidence I spent a week or two last month reading about the 5th/6th century Vandal kingdom in North Africa and its eventual reconquest by the East Roman general Belisarius.

As for somewhat later pre-1930s references to vandalism I've just remembered a TV interview with Enoch Powell (it was a long time ago and the TV was black & white) in which, when asked about any youthful misdemeanors, he regretted "the depredations which we made upon the rolling stock of the Midland Railway Company".

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Slightly off topic John,

Whilst searching for other stuff this afternoon I came across some of my 'railway ephemera' and found several interesting labels etc of which this was one....

Receipt_2022-01-08_202628.jpg.101485035329a47142be706eecf09fe2.jpg

OK it's NOT Stoke Courtney but made me think of your thread.

It is one of many which I saved from the furnace at an old Victorian building contractors founded in 1840 which I ran back in the '80s.

I asked if the owner of the Co. if he minded me having them so lots of labels and other interesting railway related items were saved by me both for posterity and railway interest.

Here's one on my favourites...

Receipt_2022-01-08_204746.jpeg.410081971700e090dca0be2e5a1b56f2.jpg.063fc785ffce70386e25563a5191d626.jpg

G

Edited by bgman
original photo pasted incorrectly
  • Like 12