Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

there wasn't very much at Great Rollright

20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

and that siding it seems.

From what little information I have it was used for quite a few goods dispatches and arrivals from/to the rural community.

The next Goods Advice slip I have found in my collection is also for Gt. Rollright. From the building company's point it was used for dropping off building materials used during local contracts.

This one is dated 1909.

Receipt_2022-01-08_220629.jpg.7ecbfefc6a4ff4e5fd9195dcc5f164d7.jpg

G

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, bgman said:

Whilst searching for other stuff this afternoon I came across some of my 'railway ephemera' and found several interesting labels etc of which this was one....

Thanks for these bgman - interesting stuff, and nice to see the Courtenay name.  I was vaguely aware that there was a Sutton Courtenay somewhere a bit west of London but knew nothing about it.  I see now that it's quite near Abingdon, so firmly in GWR territory.

Another name I only discovered a couple of years ago, long after I'd named my fictional station, is Wootton Courtenay in Somerset on the fringes of Exmoor.  My wife and I are planning a week's backpacking tour of Exmoor and the coast in May, starting and finishing at Dunster and will go through Wootton C. on the final day.  If I'm lucky I might get to see a bit of WSR action too.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, bgman said:

The next Goods Advice slip I have found in my collection is also for Gt. Rollright.

And I should have added that hearing of someone saving this stuff for posterity makes this old librarian very happy!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

You know about "Sampford Courtenay", don't you?

It even has a station with a real, working railway line passing through it (on the way to Okehampton) and may one day soon become a stop again.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

You know about "Sampford Courtenay", don't you?

No Phil, don't think I did - though I've heard of a Sampford Peverell (or is it 'Peveril'?)  But looking at the map I see what you mean.  Surprised I've not noticed signs to it as I whizz along the A30 every few months to see my daughter in Truro.  

Originally I was going to call the layout 'Stoke Redvers' after an earlier (12th/13th century) dynasty of Earls of Devon, but then I found a real Stoke Rivers which is just a variant of the same surname.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

You know about "Sampford Courtenay"

Ah ! But that's Suvvern !!! :D

2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Sampford Peverell

Correct spelling Rob and it's closer to GWR stations too, Tivvy and Culmstock.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, bgman said:

Ah ! But that's Suvvern !!! :D

Can’t have everything…

I would point out that “GWR” services are running on the line now but that’s a bit hollow because that organisation is a pale imitation of the original.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Can’t have everything…

I would point out that “GWR” services are running on the line now but that’s a bit hollow because that organisation is a pale imitation of the original.

That's a company trying to ride the coat tails of the Great Western's Reputation...

• Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, checkrail said:

I've just had a small quantity of bus wire delivered from DCC Concepts, so while I stroke my chin and ponder my forthcoming automation of the fiddle yard pointwork here are a few vignettes of scenes around Stoke Courtenay.

Have you got ideas in mind, John? I think at one time you were looking at above board motors? If I was doing mine again I think that is the way I'd go, have as much easily maintanable as possible. Mind you, the cobalts (the original type) I have in the staging yard seem mostly to be the ones without problems, perhaps as they've had a lot more use than some in the scenic area that get used once a year at the current rate. What has worked well for me is the macro function in my NCE system to set routes through the staging yard.

Good luck with the mods in due course. In the meantime: what lovely pictures!

Jon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

Have you got ideas in mind, John? I think at one time you were looking at above board motors? If I was doing mine again I think that is the way I'd go, have as much easily maintanable as possible. Mind you, the cobalts (the original type) I have in the staging yard seem mostly to be the ones without problems, perhaps as they've had a lot more use than some in the scenic area that get used once a year at the current rate. What has worked well for me is the macro function in my NCE system to set routes through the staging yard.

Yes Jon, that's still the plan.  Thought I'd try those Rails of Sheffield 'Connect' surface mounted motors (by DCC Concepts) so have a three pack of the digital version o/o.  I'll try them out on the three turnouts on the branch FY (just two long sidings and a crossover) to see if I like them.  I've spent this afternoon under the baseboards extending the DCC accessory bus round the room and under the FY. (Up till now that bus has only been under the station area, where the only motorised points and signals were (with a couple of long wires out to the home and advance starter signals).

As ever crawling around under the baseboards with a hot soldering iron was dusty, constricting and uncomfortable, a literal PITA and lots of other places too.  But my new 68w soldering iron (Christmas present from my wife) made pretty short work of the connections.  Had I been using my old 25w iron I think I'd still be there now struggling and swearing.

You're right about the macros - that's the goal.

John C.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, checkrail said:

You're right about the macros - that's the goal.

Macros or not, I don't like controlling points through the handset. Push-button control panels with an NCE Mini Panel are how I do it.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, checkrail said:

I've just had a small quantity of bus wire delivered from DCC Concepts, so while I stroke my chin and ponder my forthcoming automation of the fiddle yard pointwork here are a few vignettes of scenes around Stoke Courtenay.

v1.jpg.76557e7d1b3e212096945bd9c8dc1c77.jpg

v2.jpg.41a0798d094a56f3cca963727fde2f06.jpg

v3.jpg.f0f87caefde262ab97d54f0421bc5b12.jpg

John C.

Absolutely superb….!

The first photo looking across the station fence is sublime. 

Andy R

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2022 at 22:18, checkrail said:

An aerial photo of trains passing at Stoke Courtenay.

Y17.jpg.ae5c5bf7be9730ccd594567e0bdce17c.jpg

John C.

On 08/01/2022 at 18:33, checkrail said:

4908 Broome Hall on a westbound fitted freight as 6305 approaches with an eastbound stopping passenger service.  Looks like that platform lamp needs some attention.  Did they have vandals in the 1930s?

Y22.jpg.7ea14f279706fee75302a39ab9e18dcd.jpg

Y23.jpg.5ae509db1e8eb4bf45f507b9fd6d6ba7.jpg

Y24.jpg.b3cd7eec4c72156abd616071d1292523.jpg

1913707993_Y25(3).jpg.c31e46ca2b9de2b15aad498f137e98ac.jpg

John C.

13 hours ago, checkrail said:

v1.jpg.76557e7d1b3e212096945bd9c8dc1c77.jpg

v2.jpg.41a0798d094a56f3cca963727fde2f06.jpg

v3.jpg.f0f87caefde262ab97d54f0421bc5b12.jpg

John C.

I simply love this layout of yours John! THe quality you have made is so impressive! The attention to details, the angles you manage. Superb as always!

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Macros or not, I don't like controlling points through the handset.

I can understand that John, especially with a large system designed with prototypical operation by several people in mind.  You need to replicate the functions of signal boxes.  But horses for courses:  I love the simplicity of doing everything from the handset, especially with the one key route setting which macros enable.  Only exceptions are the signals which operate from switches/push buttons on the fascia - but though working, they're really for cosmetic effect only.  Like so many little boys I wanted to be an engine driver but I don't ever recall wanting to be a signalman!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

but I do wonder how all those telegraph wires will make it through that wood...

Well observed Miss P.  I put my hands up!  The large low-relief tree was added as an afterthought some years after the telegraph pole was planted.  And of course the invisible wires are supposed to come off each post at an angle to follow the curve of the cutting.  Will have another look at the positioning (or just avoid that angle with the camera!)

Edited by checkrail
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3