Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Thats good to know, I quite fancy getting one of the kingsbridge wagon 

There’s a rather nice photo of the Kingsbridge coal wagon in an early newsletter by the Great Western Study Group. Researched by Steve Manchip , maybe @RapidoCorbs could do it for us in their range.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Robin @gwrrob, please tell us more about the Kingsbridge coal wagon. It's a new one on me.

John.

Certainly John @checkrail although my photos were lost in the RMweb crash. POWsides do a six plank wagon , Beer and Co. of Kingsbridge, a local coal merchant with the option of two running numbers [No1 and 2 ] in both transfers and kit. There's a very nice advert somewhere .

https://www.powsides.co.uk/search.php/kingsbridge

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Beer and Co

Image and description here.

Wow! What a layout.  Thanks for alerting me to it.  Who's the writer?  I see that he bought it in fairly embryonic form but has made a lot of progress with it since.  This is Pendon-standard stuff isn't it? 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

POWsides do a six plank wagon , Beer and Co. of Kingsbridge, a local coal merchant with the option of two running numbers [No1 and 2 ] in both transfers and kit.

Thanks Robin. I've seen a 'Beer & Co.' wagon somewhere on a layout in the past but hadn't connected it with Kingsbridge. I note that the POWsides listing describes it as 6 plank but uses a Slater's 7 plank as a base, presumably because there's no kit or RTR 6 plank item available?  In spite of my stern remonstrations to self about no more PO wagons I'd find one of these impossible to resist if a RTR model appeared.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

While on the subject of PO wagons can anyone tell me what the lettering/symbols on the axleboxes of all three of my new Rapido items signify?

NewPOwagons1.jpeg.e27322baeef6de1468c55ed201907805.jpeg

John C.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Wow! What a layout.  Thanks for alerting me to it.  Who's the writer?  I see that he bought it in fairly embryonic form but has made a lot of progress with it since.  This is Pendon-standard stuff isn't it? 

It was started by the late Mike Casey many years back (I think It featured in MRJ at some point?). He also had many top quality locos and coaches built for it (roecar etc).   From memory the layout was built in a former indoor swimming pool!

At the time it was sold (not that long before I started Brent) I made serious enquires about purchasing it, before deciding that the layout was far too big for my garage and unfortunately it would not be a viable proposition 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

While on the subject of PO wagons can anyone tell me what the lettering/symbols on the axleboxes of all three of my new Rapido items signify?

'Gloucester', for a box made by Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

'Gloucester', for a box made by Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company.

Thanks Miss P.  Even expanding the pic to max. and looking through the bottom of my varifocals and a hand-held magnifier I couldn't make that out. So well done Rapido for including such microscopically fine detail (which I'm afraid is now about to be obliterated with matt black).  

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, checkrail said:

There are several videos on Youtube that are well worth watching. The background scenery is superb. You forget it is a model.

https://www.youtube.com/@kingswearinp414/videos

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice weekend in Bridgnorth and day out with son and grandsons at the SVR spring steam gala on Sunday.  Shame 'Betton Grange' couldn't make it but 'Hagley Hall' and 'Erlestoke Manor' were looking great, as was the Stanier mogul and the delightful 'Fenchurch'.

Here are son and grandson getting in the way as 4930 runs into Bewdley.

IMG_3512.jpeg.658478f9dba5423063ee0be0ed7ff764.jpeg

IMG_3502.jpeg.66288d9c42d00a4d23be6a40e7e0061b.jpeg

But for me the best bit was the wonderful train of GWR carriages of various types.  Lovely to see the real things after a few years of occasional kit building and peering at old photographs.

IMG_3504.jpeg.9f9ee256cea53a156072a3a53316ef76.jpeg

We actually rode in the set of Stanier LMS coaches on Sunday, but that was no loss.  As Steve Forbert sang, "Driving a Jaguar's impressive, but you cain't see it go by ..."

Now back to those new PO wagons. 

John C.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Was the GWR set in use? They had some problems because they aren't slam door - you have to actually turn the handle. People arent used to it so doors got left open and last year they were withdrawn but I don't know if that's been resolved.