Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

Nice work mate for your first go, keep working with your airbrush and it will pay dividends I'm sure.

I agree totally with you about the original colour, dunno what they were thinking about !

You've brought it back into the real world and given it a bit of character too.

G

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for nice comments and supportive remarks. Last few for now of 2819.

post-15399-0-84726000-1543869568_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-77420100-1543869593_thumb.jpg

I mentioned that I'd masked the number plates. Should have added that I also masked the cab windows and the coal. Not much point in adding real coal then spraying it black (unless I was then going to carry it to Newcastle). I let the crew take their chances. Don't expect that washed blue overalls stayed pristine for too long on the footplate.

post-15399-0-52200200-1543869612_thumb.jpg

This exercise and your comments have given me confidence to do some similar work on my other locos, but no way are my Kings & Castles going to end up quite that dirty. I'm in awe of the work done by the maestros of this dark art in the mags, but so much of it is about the 'end of steam' era. In my 1930s scenario it needs to be about smoke & soot, grease & oil. Ain't gonna be no rust, leaking glands, neglect or decrepitude allowed! (Not on the locos anyway.) Makes it a bit easier too, in terms of technique.

post-15399-0-53521800-1543869633_thumb.jpg

(Must investigate what the lump is in the 6 foot. Dead insect?)

John C.

post-15399-0-84726000-1543869568_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-77420100-1543869593_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-52200200-1543869612_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-53521800-1543869633_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by a photo on p.149 of Beck & Copsey, showing pannier 8709 with two brake vans at Churston in the mid 30s, I've now added these two AA3 toads, nos. 35650 & 35627, to the SC roster. Incidentally there's another good pic of 35650 at Kingswear in the Mike Morant collection.

post-15399-0-79007000-1543936331_thumb.jpg

They both use the so-called 'plated' version of the Oxford Rail AA3 model, labelled 'Acton', as a basis. This meant that the incorrect planked ends and the strange window had to be altered. 35650, below, was a cut 'n' shut job, utilising the ends from an old Ratio Toad kit (a fiver on eBay). It worked out reasonably well in the end with just a couple of drawbacks. One was that the Ratio roof arc was different, and needed sorting with Deluxe Materials' Perfect Plastic Putty; the other was that the Ratio moulds are so old and the plastic so soft that even the lightest coat of paint tends to obscure the planking. Ironic, trying to remove planking where it shouldn't be and ending up in danger of losing it where it should!

post-15399-0-70189700-1543936354_thumb.jpg

With 35627 (next photo) I followed Chris Leigh's method in a recent MR article, filling in the unwanted planking with Plastic Putty, then cutting/filing out the unwanted window and replacing with scribed Plastikard. Took a few applications of filler and some awkward sanding before the planking finally disappeared.

post-15399-0-13088800-1543936375_thumb.jpg

Other alterations to both models included filling in the gap in the footboard (designed for OR's 6-wheel Toad) with Microstrip and filler. On 35650 I also moved the stovepipe off-centre to be above the stove, but the brass tube I had to hand (with a washer as its base) is a bit too stout, so I haven't bothered yet with the other. As so often a coat of paint, followed by light weathering with Humbrol black powder, covered a multitude of sins. Transfers were from Modelmaster except for the NEWTON ABBOT depot name which was from the estimable Railtec.

John C.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Your photos are very beautiful and you have created an impressive sense of openness for a modestly sized layout.

Like you, my leanings are towards 1930s GWR and I too have started equipping some of my locos with Modelu lamps - an incredibly fiddly business!

I have installed red-bodied lamps on the basis that the order to change them from red to white was only sent out in 1936 and it took many years for the white lamps to take over.

I searched your thread but didn't find any reference to lamp body colour so I'd be interested to know why you've used white-bodied lamps.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Your photos are very beautiful and you have created an impressive sense of openness for a modestly sized layout.

Like you, my leanings are towards 1930s GWR and I too have started equipping some of my locos with Modelu lamps - an incredibly fiddly business!

I have installed red-bodied lamps on the basis that the order to change them from red to white was only sent out in 1936 and it took many years for the white lamps to take over.

I searched your thread but didn't find any reference to lamp body colour so I'd be interested to know why you've used white-bodied lamps.

Hi Phil

Thanks for kind comments. I was tempted by red lamps (one of those distinctive GW "we're different" touches), but chose white because my nominal period is c. 1938, and most photos from that era show white lamps. I'm not sure how long after 1936 red lamps were still to be seen on GW trains, but it'll give me a good excuse to spend a pleasant hour or two browsing through the various 1930s picture albums looking for evidence.

Regards,

John.

• RMweb Gold

A specifically c. 1938 timeframe does make white bodied lamps much more likely, especially on the primary routes. I guess the red bodied lamps lasted longer in the further reaches of the system.

I found this photo, which is spot-on for your timeframe and clearly shows white bodied lamps: https://railphotoprints.uk/p1047678591/h199B63AD#h199b63ad

(I haven't tied down my timeframe to anything tighter than 1927-1939 yet so I'm going to install red bodied lamps with the excuse that they were still around for a while after '36.)

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

A specifically c. 1938 timeframe does make white bodied lamps much more likely, especially on the primary routes. I guess the red bodied lamps lasted longer in the further reaches of the system.

I found this photo, which is spot-on for your timeframe and clearly shows white bodied lamps: https://railphotoprints.uk/p1047678591/h199B63AD#h199b63ad

(I haven't tied down my timeframe to anything tighter than 1927-1939 yet so I'm going to install red bodied lamps with the excuse that they were still around for a while after '36.)

Just been through the Norman Locket photos ('Great Western Steam 1934-1949'). There's a caption to a photo dated 16 May 1936, stating, "Notice, by the way, evidence here of the GWR's new policy of painting the casings of locomotive headlamps white instead of red. in order that they could more easily be seen by signalmen and linesmen". Subsequent photos for 1936 and the following year still show a few red lamps, but by the time Mr Lockett gets to 1938 none are in evidence. Leafing through other photo albums suggests the same story. I guess the lamp casings could easily and quickly have been re-painted locally in response to central directives. But it means that red lamps are correct for at least 10 years of your current 12 year timeframe!

John C.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been meaning to ask for sometime and your post #509 has prompted me. I have the same donor signalbox but don’t want it to be named “Truro”. How did you remove the original nameplate in order to add your Stoke Courtney one?

Thanks, Paul.

Interesting, given the official instruction was not issued until December 1936.

interesting, Hubback collection part 2. Page 67. Ogmore Castle Red lamps, photo dated summer 39. Also page 81, King George III, summer 37.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent modelling, great scenes.

On the issue of lamps: Where were they painted? If painted centrally, could the practice have been initiated on new lamps before the official instructions went out?

In my workplace certain new changes have recently started being implemented that are significant for everyday practices and organisation, but the actual policy and guidelines won't come out until the end of 2019...

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been meaning to ask for sometime and your post #509 has prompted me. I have the same donor signalbox but don’t want it to be named “Truro”. How did you remove the original nameplate in order to add your Stoke Courtney one?

Thanks, Paul.

Hi Paul

I removed it carefully, bit by bit, with files, (small riffler files were useful) after having stuck masking tape all round its outside edge to avoid scratching the rather nicely finished brickwork. Then a new plastikard namebosrd was made & fitted, the name itself being produced on the pc, white font colour on black background. Originally Kernow announced that this model would have a removable nameboard, but that idea didn't seem to make it to the production stage. (But on the plus side they also dropped the plan to have it in 1971 condition with dirty windows!)

Regards,

John

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, given the official instruction was not issued until December 1936.

Indeed Miss P. The pic is on p39 of the Lockett book, of 4022 Belgian Monarch on a Crewe - Plymouth train. Given that the sequencing of prints is broadly chronological I now suspect that the caption might be wrong, and should perhaps read "16 May 1937". For the next few pages white lamps soon predominate, earliest such shots being dated May or June 1937.

John C.

• RMweb Gold

interesting, Hubback collection part 2. Page 67. Ogmore Castle Red lamps, photo dated summer 39. Also page 81, King George III, summer 37.

Yep, just checked those out. So Harlequin's safe with red lamps throughout his chosen timeframe. Might paint one or two of mine red!

John C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Itching to do a bit more loco weathering, but waiting - and waiting - for more Vallejo paints and washes to be delivered. So, in an idle moment, while giving my only three non-railway buildings a dust 'n' vac, I was prompted to get the camera out. This rather broad-brush scene is my perfunctory nod to the idea of a village at Stoke C. From eye level, looking across the tracks at the up end of the station, it's not really visible, so I thought I'd give it another visit and have a pint at the Red Lion.

post-15399-0-25627500-1544218274_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-57832200-1544218296_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-95294000-1544218310_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-69679700-1544218337_thumb.jpg

Think that Victorian hexagonal pillar box needs straightening up a bit.

John C.

• Like 17

Itching to do a bit more loco weathering, but waiting - and waiting - for more Vallejo paints and washes to be delivered. So, in an idle moment, while giving my only three non-railway buildings a dust 'n' vac, I was prompted to get the camera out. This rather broad-brush scene is my perfunctory nod to the idea of a village at Stoke C. From eye level, looking across the tracks at the up end of the station, it's not really visible, so I thought I'd give it another visit and have a pint at the Red Lion.

attachicon.gifP1040895.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040896.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040899.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040901.JPG

Think that Victorian hexagonal pillar box needs straightening up a bit.

John C.

Captured to a "T" John, it always puts me in mind of the village of Kenn just outside Exeter each time I see those shots.

Your Public House isn't too dissimilar to the one there, as too is your church, which has a passing resemblance to St.Andrews Church across the road.

post-20303-0-50320200-1544220634_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-65092900-1544220715.jpg

Your scene certainly evokes rural Devon.

G

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That is a very skilful corner scene framed by the natural looking trees yet maintaining the spacious feel of Stoke Courtenay

If that is you leaning on the pub sign you have just spilt half of your pint!

(I’ve just referred back to page 3 and see you haven’t spilt much after all!)

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Captured to a "T" John, it always puts me in mind of the village of Kenn just outside Exeter each time I see those shots.

Your Public House isn't too dissimilar to the one there, as too is your church, which has a passing resemblance to St.Andrews Church across the road.

Thanks Grahame. I don't know Kenn, but that pub looks inviting. I should get to Devon more often. At the moment I drive across it on the M5/A30 about 3 times a year en route to visit daughter in Truro. I've not been to the Dart Valley Railway since the 60s and my last visit to Kingswear was so long ago that I 'cabbed' a Hall there, awaiting its departure time to Taunton. I remember the driver asking me, in a west country burr, whether his engine was one of Mr Churchward's. I was able to tell him, with all the authority of a 13 year old with a couple of train books, that it was one of Mr Collet's. Happy days.

John.

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 5