Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

On 27/04/2019 at 15:02, checkrail said:

And before Fuller's brewed a nice bitter of that name.

Several years ago I was lucky enough to be given a birthday treat of a tour round the Fuller, Smith & Turner brewery at Chiswick.  There I was told that London Pride - the beer - is named after a wild flower that grew abundantly on the bomb sites of wartime London.  So the trade name of the beer pre-dates any marches by many years.  It would be interesting to know when the GWR poster was issued though and I suspect that it is post-war.  And as you might imagine, the London Pride available in the brewery tap after the tour was one of the best pints of 'Pride' that I have ever tasted.

Gerry

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Several years ago I was lucky enough to be given a birthday treat of a tour round the Fuller, Smith & Turner brewery at Chiswick.  There I was told that London Pride - the beer - is named after a wild flower that grew abundantly on the bomb sites of wartime London.  So the trade name of the beer pre-dates any marches by many years.  It would be interesting to know when the GWR poster was issued though and I suspect that it is post-war.  And as you might imagine, the London Pride available in the brewery tap after the tour was one of the best pints of 'Pride' that I have ever tasted.

Gerry

It certainly is and here is a photo of the plant in my garden that travelled to Devon, way back, from my grandparents garden in North London. Pink plant in forground.

20190428_163502.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

It would be interesting to know when the GWR poster was issued though and I suspect that it is post-war.

Indeed it would.  It hadn't occurred to me when I applied the posters that some of them might be post-war.  When I was at university in London I went on a trip round the Guinness brewery at Park Royal.  At the end we all got a measly half of the black stuff and - yuk! - a half of Harp lager.

John C.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Gerry

'London Pride' was also the title of a popular wartime song by Noël Coward.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

I don't think i have ever seen a better photo of a model than that middle one with the shunter. Wow.

Craftsmanship all round there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, colin penfold said:

I don't think i have ever seen a better photo of a model than that middle one with the shunter. Wow.

Thanks Colin - hope Andy sees this.  What a great job he did.

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I use a fine marker pen to dot the eyes and a smear of diluted paint around the eyes wipe off with kitchen towel gives the eye socket some out-line.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 81C said:

I use a fine marker pen to dot the eyes and a smear of diluted paint around the eyes wipe off with kitchen towel gives the eye socket some out-line.

Thanks Bob.  I'll give that a try sometime and take another pic or two.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

A couple more train shots.  A Star hurries through the cutting on the up line, followed some time later by a 28xx at a more leisurely pace.

Feature_6.jpg.56a08792096fee435acedfaf268c5d3f.jpg

Feature_13.jpg.775b3489bf2870bf2e6ac5fcc2e470a1.jpg

John C.

Nice Toplights.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I hope John doesn't mind but I think it's worth including the video I did with him which was on the DVD as an extra.

Thanks for posting the video Andy.  As it happens I was going to ask you if it was ok to do so!

Regards,

John.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, checkrail said:

"But on datingdirect.com you told me you had a Porsche".

Detail_2.jpg.588dd530311e4cd5d35170ef1e4a3663.jpg

Detail_5.jpg.fc9a6dcdc76ef7a5641703e6042daab4.jpg

You can see from the second shot that I don't quite have a steady enough hand to 'dot the eyes', as it were.  I know there are some of you on here who could paint in the eyebrows and probably the eyelashes too! 

He'll probably tell his friends that she had a bit of a blank expression.

John C.

I paint the shadow of the eye socket. If you look at real people at the sort of distance that makes them appear to be about 1/76 it's shadow that defines the face. If you can paint the socket with a straight top edge it gives a good impression of the brow. I also desaturate the colours including the flesh tone. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy's photos seem to be going down well so here are a few more of his still shots, manly roadside scenes.

Detail_10.jpg.22f83dfd2816850f3c8b29cb556e3089.jpg

Detail_11.jpg.33236f7d72b74621d721c10516e50fb0.jpg

Detail_12.jpg.9fa86363154708ae525ff0d27bdd8cd3.jpg

Detail_14.jpg.c5b826cce355b46acd6291e0a8e805c1.jpg

As ever, the close-ups expose many modelling imperfections, but at  normal viewing distance, and with my eyesight, these don't intrude.  (Honest, guv.)

In the third pic, if you look along the line from the lych gate to the church door you can just about make out the parish notices on the wallboard mounted inside the porch.

A few reeds in that little pond might be a further scenic embellishment, some day.

John C.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 30/04/2019 at 08:04, checkrail said:

"But on datingdirect.com you told me you had a Porsche".

Detail_2.jpg.588dd530311e4cd5d35170ef1e4a3663.jpg

Detail_5.jpg.fc9a6dcdc76ef7a5641703e6042daab4.jpg

You can see from the second shot that I don't quite have a steady enough hand to 'dot the eyes', as it were.  I know there are some of you on here who could paint in the eyebrows and probably the eyelashes too! 

He'll probably tell his friends that she had a bit of a blank expression.

John C.

Face recognition software wouldn't phase her 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1