• RMweb Gold
On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:32, gwrrob said:

it would save me whipping mine out on ANTB

You can get locked up for that.

Ok guys, I'll get the camera out.

John C.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

Fabulous – thank you and so many images. It's interesting seeing the more complex moves like slip coaches and horse boxes.

Did all the railway companies use slip coaches or was it predominantly a GWR practice?

• Like 1

A fair few had slip coaches, the Caley and Midland for two.  The Midland abandoned the practice after WW1 (the last slip coach being built in 1911).  The Caley appears to have stopped its fairly extensive slip operations on the Grampian Express around the same time.  There was an accident involving a slipped coach catching up with its train at Woodford Halse in 1935, so was that a continuing GC activity or an LNER innovation.

I think the GWR kept the practice going for longer than any other company.

• Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Buhar said:

A fair few had slip coaches, the Caley and Midland for two.  The Midland abandoned the practice after WW1 (the last slip coach being built in 1911).  The Caley appears to have stopped its fairly extensive slip operations on the Grampian Express around the same time.  There was an accident involving a slipped coach catching up with its train at Woodford Halse in 1935, so was that a continuing GC activity or an LNER innovation.

I think the GWR kept the practice going for longer than any other company.

Certainly the GWR was the last to slip coaches in the UK, but the number two user of slipping was the LBSCR. At the peak of slipping, before the Great War, when the practice practically ceased, the GWR had 72 daily slips, the LBSCR 27, MR 21, GER and LNWR 18, CR 12, SE&CR 9, L&YR 7, GCR 4, and Furness and GNR 1 each. There were 11 in Ireland.

Slipping resumed after the war, and at Grouping the GWR had 47, the Southern 31, LMSR 6 and LNER 5, surprisingly it was the LNER that lasted until 1939,  the Southern having stopped in 1932, as electrification made it less relevant, only the GWR recommencing after WW2.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Buhar 

17 hours ago, Anglian said:

It's interesting seeing the more complex moves like slip coaches

I'll defer to Buhar and Nick re knowledge of slip coach workings.  They've provided lots of info I didn't know.

But I don't actually model slip workings on my south Devon scene, just normal through coaches which are attached to and detached from the parent train manually.  I would guess that slip workings wouldn't be all that suitable for areas full of steep gradients and sharp curves?  Slip coaches do make interesting models though.

John C.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for arranging the horsebox saga which was gripping viewing!  I was imagining the cost of all those movements to transfer the horsebox on to the Encombe train. Rail travel for horses must have been very expensive. Hopefully that excellent sequence will be available as a boxed set.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Thank you for arranging the horsebox saga which was gripping viewing!

Had you chomping at the bit, didn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Slip coaches do make interesting models though.

John C.

Agreed. You could quite prototypically use one on the branch, even if they were not seen on the mainline being returned on a normal service train so far West. The GWR removed the slipping gear (apart from the tanks underneath) from quite a few redundant slips and employed them on branchlines. Usually having 1st and 2nd class accommodation, they were ideal for lines where the passenger traffic only required a single coach. Off the top of my head, Farringdon, Newcastle Emlyn and (I think) Windsor were examples.  The former had 70 foot concertinas whilst Windsor had a shorter version (not sure what diagram, but possibly a toplight). I want one for "Woodstowe" as they lasted well into the BR period.

A beautiful and inspiring layout - keep the pics coming!

David C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, KNP said:

Very nice sequence of pictures.

Make me wonder if I need to get a couple of these boxes?

They would look superb on LM providing you can get hold of them. One of the best rtr GWR vehicles on the market.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Several decommissioned slip coaches were allocated to Taunton after slipping ceased in 1960.  One worked regularly from Taunton to Chard where it would often form the Junction to Central shuttle.  Others were added to the formation of Taunton to Barnstaple services, initially because B sets had no toilets and it was a long journey!

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:35, Limpley Stoker said:

Hopefully that excellent sequence will be available as a boxed set.

Yeah, bit of a long drawn out saga, and perhaps not quite as dramatic as Game of Thrones.  And considering that I'd only just weathered 4574 that morning you were literally watching paint dry.

John.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6