Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

I have looked to pick up the old PC kits for some time. They are a great source of parts to complete etched sides. Here are a couple of mine that use the PC bogies, underframe, interior bits and roof. A F14 single ended slip using Hammond sides and ends and a D56 from Frogmore etches. The last couple of PC's I bought were for £5 each. The bogies alone were worth more than that

Mike Wiltshire752835466_F14sliplr.jpg.f09b6df57604f564512f8a5c6893a9d9.jpg2008362376_D56lr.jpg.3288fbefdfea4c306833b529b6b3e029.jpg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bgman said:

Even nicer in 7mm !

Now in 7mm I can see the point!  Pun intended - in 4mm scale I don't reckon I could tell the difference at normal viewing range with my eyesight.  And anyway, I'd have to retrospectively refit all my other Dapol signals.  But what a nice product.  Maybe one day?  When I've built some coaches?  When I'm stuck in the loft forever and can no longer walk the hill?  When I've had a corneal transplant?  

Cheers, and season's greetings to all.

John.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile progress continues slowly on a C31 toplight third.  It was only after I'd given it the Halford's primer treatment that I realised that the etch didn't include the ventilation louvres (or whatever they are) over the doors.  These were then fabricated from microstrip, scored and rounded at the corners with a sanding stick.  I hope they are (roughly) of even length and (roughly) straight.

P1050850.JPG.92a8058ba03b7b384cc805b2bd974447.JPG

John C.

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea of reusing the core of the PC models kits with etched sides, I had always rejected them because of the printed sides but think I will now be keeping an eye out...

Sorry to hear about the issues with the signal, but they do look like a good compromise between ease of use and looks.  Given how long it would take to get all the signals made by hand for Brent (yet alone making them work) I am going to go down this route (like you having to modify one to platform mount).

What are you doing with the broken one?  You have me wondering if it’s possible to repair it.  If it’s going to be useless I wouldn’t mind a crack at it :p, if nothing else it would look at the end of Brent’s platform.  Feel free to drop me a PM

Happy Christmas, and look forward to the developments on the layout for 2020

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2019 at 17:40, checkrail said:

First up is a pic I posted over on ANTB very recently as part of a discussion about the deployment of N30 loco coal wagons.

Loco_coal_wagon_2.jpg.bb3dee3fa4e394989a8cfa6bb7d36e93.jpg

John C.

A revisit to this photo John Re- the N30 loco coal wagon. Are the V hangers double thickness as there is no mention in the Cambrian instructions on removing the inner pair of them.

On 25/12/2019 at 07:38, checkrail said:

After a 4 year wait for these bracket signals (I kept asking Dapol every year at Warley, always to be told, "This time next year") I was very pleased to see them.  It seems the delay was in working up a design which would be an improvement on their much criticised single post signals, while not requiring too big an aperture in the baseboard. ......

BUT - just a warning.  As with all electrical items I decided to test it before installation, by plugging the signal into the servo base unit and lashing up temporary power.  Bad idea.  All worked perfectly, but when I came to pull the signal back out of the base unit it wouldn't budge.  When I eventually pulled it out it came with a broken plastic cam and bent spring.  Sixty quid down the drain..... 

John C.

That's terrible and it seems most unreasonable for an item to be supplied with no warning when so much is at risk if an "undo" is attempted. Dapol might well have VG reasons it's made that way but if so, need to advise users of the non-reversibility issue.

You could try going back claiming that a "warning" of such damage IS a highly reasonable expectation for a customer to have in these circumstances.  Sixty quid is a lot to blow due to this simple oversight on their part. I'm always inclined to push hard, Dapol do have a reputation to maintain and some goodwill will repay if they see you right and fix the issue.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2019 at 05:37, BWsTrains said:

it seems most unreasonable for an item to be supplied with no warning when so much is at risk if an "undo" is attempted. Dapol might well have VG reasons it's made that way but if so, need to advise users of the non-reversibility issue.

Couldn't agree more.  Rest assured I'll be writing to Dapol.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/12/2019 at 15:18, gwrrob said:

A revisit to this photo John Re- the N30 loco coal wagon. Are the V hangers double thickness as there is no mention in the Cambrian instructions on removing the inner pair of them.

I assumed that the double V hanger was intended.  As you say Robin, there's nothing in the instructions to suggest otherwise.  As for the prototype I haven't a clue!

• Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Couldn't agree more.  Rest assured I'll be writing to Dapol.  

Thanks for the warning!

I had been designing in these signals for my layout.

However being able to remove and reinstall them is essential as the layout will run in two eras, one 1960s, one 1990s, so I need to be able to swap from semaphores to colour lights and back again!

I had already recognized that the two types of signals would have to be in slightly different locations but that seemed no problem.

The layout will not leave home so I don't have to worry about de installing for moving!

Happy New Year

Cheers

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 2

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:56, Tallpaul69 said:

Thanks for the warning!

I had been designing in these signals for my layout.

However being able to remove and reinstall them is essential as the layout will run in two eras, one 1960s, one 1990s, so I need to be able to swap from semaphores to colour lights and back again!

I had already recognized that the two types of signals would have to be in slightly different locations but that seemed no problem.

The layout will not leave home so I don't have to worry about de installing for moving!

Happy New Year

Cheers

Paul

Hi John C,

Just a warning that you might get PMs or Posts  from unexpected quarters re the problem with these signals:-

That is because I posed a question about alternative products or folk who could maybe fettle me something for the job in the Signaling thread, only to get a request for chapter and verse on the problem so that writer could offer a solution.

So I ended up copying and pasting your warning (from the BUT onwards!) into a further post on that thread and suggesting  anyone who wanted more detail contact you direct (Sorry!!)

Best regards

Paul

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Just a warning that you might get PMs or Posts  from unexpected quarters re the problem with these signals:-

No probs Paul.  Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,

John.