Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

While I was at it I completed the last of my stash of wagon kits, another Cambrian SR 5 plank open (as built the other week by Robin of ANTB fame, coincidentally).  I hadn't realised I'd bought two of these.  But you can never have too many open wagons I guess.

872086966_P1060065(2).JPG.efdcfec8891ae4270f08e83f7400d1c6.JPG

After weathering this one will get a tarpaulin, like so:

131039344_P1060071(2).JPG.ace1cda687ddd1fe7aac4f1034ee85a7.JPG

I've still got a couple of old Trix 'Ocean' wagon bodies and two Cambrian 9ft wb RCH underframe kits to put under them, but they can wait.  2020 is supposed to be the year of the coach here at Stoke Courtenay.  So I've told myself no more wagons until the OR ex-GER van appears.

John C.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Very good recycling work. Still in mink condition!

Edit: this applies to the vans, but another post appeared in the meantime. Ruins the joke a bit :P

Sorry. I'll get my coat....

Edited by Ramblin Rich
updated
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

While I was at it I completed the last of my stash of wagon kits, another Cambrian SR 5 plank open (as built the other week by Robin of ANTB fame, coincidentally).  I hadn't realised I'd bought two of these.  But you can never have too many open wagons I guess.

I blame you John for me with [ @toboldlygo] doing one of these Aitkin wagons too.

1707032223_WAitken_02.jpg.d77235cbbe114eed6af604ce3b43dd27(2).jpg.5014e126a38b197d2b9d844892d8087d.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Mine is the Bachmann version and the iron work isn’t so pronounced. Any old excuse!

Was only teasing!  And if a coat of paint covers a multitude of sins then a coat of filth, soot, muck etc. covers solebars of any colour.  Mine looks a little too clean come to think of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

On 26/02/2020 at 14:30, checkrail said:

After weathering this one will get a tarpaulin, like so:

131039344_P1060071(2).JPG.ace1cda687ddd1fe7aac4f1034ee85a7.JPG

Is that tarp from the Roger Smith range John ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Is that tarp from the Roger Smith range John ?

It is indeed Robin.  After the wagon's been weathered a bit the tarp will go back on - straight this time.  

Never sure with these whether to bother with representations of ropes etc.  I don't see this type of detail at normal viewing distance.  It also gives me the option of taking the tarps off or putting them back as desired. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hope you and your's are ok?

I'm trying to persuade myself that I need a second King.

Currently, as I'm modelling 1960/2 the plan is to have a King one way and a D6xx Warship the other!

Need to work up a good story so SWMBO doesn't disapprove?

Meanwhile, unfortunately, in the real world, and today, the figures don't get any better.

Jjust got my fingers crossed today is a blip, otherwise we will all get a three line whip confined to barracks, with just a weekly shopping trip!

Glad I don't have a dog, keeping them exercised must be a nightmare with the current restrictions never mind if they get tighter!!

I guess we all must try to look on the bright side?

Keep smiling and stay safe

Cheers

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Some more of King Richard I, which like my other King started life as a Hornby 'King Edward V'  (still available at pretty reasonable prices).   What I've been trying to do is to represent that sooty, oily sheen that even clean locos developed after the ex-works polish wore off.  It's a look achieved beautifully by @toboldlygo of this parish so I thought I'd give it a try. 

k9.jpg.d12e3c836801be2d2bd88d11afa9df23.jpg

k10.jpg.a7bf799a7f6bf7f3fe44997e29015878.jpg

k11.jpg.97a0e144c593849ff3c3576533c76e00.jpg

k12.jpg.fcb0a91b781a4b82fb062931c363b904.jpg

Loco & tender chassis had their wheel rims painted black and were then airbrushed with a mix of Humbrol 33 & 34 with just a hint of gunmetal added. I masked the cylinder covers while doing this, then later toned the lining down with Vallejo black wash.  Finally some of Lifecolor's dirty grease and oil effects were added to the moving parts of the motion.

Loco & tender bodies were then airbrushed with a number of light coats of Vallejo satin varnish to which a little touch of Vallejo black was added. Final detailing included real coal, lamps & crew (both Modelu of course).  Name & numberplates were from Modelmaster and buffer beam numbers from Fox.

One thing this treatment does, I think, is to disguise that rather flat, pale shade of green that Hornby used for this model.

John C.

Who, me? :read:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

It’s a lovely finish - nice to see a bit of shine on the loco like you see in the pre-war photos. Matt grime seems to be more a post-war thing.

Has the nearside topfeed pipe popped out of its locating hole at the cab end?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Has the nearside topfeed pipe popped out of its locating hole at the cab end?

Good gracious!  So it had. Thanks for the alert.  And now I know what that pipe is.  Finally got it to behave only after snipping it short and gluing down - couldn't find a locating hole. 

I'd do better at this modelling malarkey if I could actually see.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’m intrigued to know how you close couple your leading coach to the loco tender.

No magic here - just Bachmann short t/l couplings made even shorter.  I find that one can couple vehicles quite a bit closer than one thinks.  As long as the coupling loop is in line with the buffer faces they're fine to go round the inside radius of Peco curved points in the fiddle yard.  (IIRC I think that's about 2 ft radius?)

When the buffers are sprung you can get them even closer.  On the train we're looking at today the tender buffers are sprung but the ones on the Centenary van third are the original Airfix solid plastic items.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, checkrail said:

Some more of King Richard I, which like my other King started life as a Hornby 'King Edward V'  (still available at pretty reasonable prices).   What I've been trying to do is to represent that sooty, oily sheen that even clean locos developed after the ex-works polish wore off.  It's a look achieved beautifully by @toboldlygo of this parish so I thought I'd give it a try. 

Asking for a friend obviously John but where are they sourced at a reasonable price please.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Asking for a friend obviously John but where are they sourced at a reasonable price please.

Rails of Sheffield recently (at about 108 quid IIRC), but others on eBay in recent weeks at the £100 - £120 mark.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4