Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Here are the 'official' photographs of the latest addition to stock, E88 composite toplight coach 7567.  There's a photo of this vehicle in Russell, Appendix Vol. 2 at Kingsbridge in 1950 in GWR livery,

That's very interesting info there John as I've never seen that photo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

That's very interesting info there John as I've never seen that photo.

If you leaf through the Russell volumes it's surprising so many pics are recorded as taken at Kingsbridge, post-war. He, or Mike Longridge et al, must have spent a bit of time there at that period mooching round the sidings.  

John.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Biggles Dog said:

One question for now, please. Have you added any elevation/cant to your curved main line ? Looking at the photos I'm not sure - in some there does seem to be a cant to the track, but it may just be an optical effect of the curve.

Sorry Geoff, forgot to answer this bit.  No, there's no super-elevation.  I considered it for a fleeting moment only.  I had no intention, desire, time or patience (or skill) to install compensated wheels and bogies.  Of course a bit of cant can be added while photo editing - especially if your camera angle's taken you the opposite way and it looks like your train is leaning outwards!

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, checkrail said:

the final close-up no doubt reveals a lot of flaws

You say this, but I can't seem to see any!

I think one of the stand out aspects of your modelling is the standard is the same (and very high!) across the board - a cohesive effort that paints a very pretty picture.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

If you leaf through the Russell volumes it's surprising so many pics are recorded as taken at Kingsbridge, post-war. He, or Mike Longridge et al, must have spent a bit of time there at that period mooching round the sidings.  

John.

I think I will be diving out my copies for a look tonight....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I can’t see the E88 in volume 2 appendix John, is it the brown vehicles too book or another?

It's in Appendix Vol 2 Robin (I think Appendix Vol 1 is the special purpose vehicles).  I've shut the loft for the night and left the Russell books up there, so I'll check tomorrow, but I seem to remember the pic is on p. 121.  But anyway, the whole volume is set out in diagram no. order.

Cheers,

John.

• Informative/Useful 2

37 minutes ago, checkrail said:

It's in Appendix Vol 2 Robin (I think Appendix Vol 1 is the special purpose vehicles).  I've shut the loft for the night and left the Russell books up there, so I'll check tomorrow, but I seem to remember the pic is on p. 121.  But anyway, the whole volume is set out in diagram no. order.

Cheers,

John.

It is page 121 but in volume 1.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Cheers,

John.

2 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

It is page 121 but in volume 1.

Nick's got it. Appendix 1 is standard stock and Appendix 2 is the specific duty and brown vehicles. Notwithstanding a number of errors in the words, both are worth having for the huge selection of photos.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to mislead you Rob.  The others are right.  It's Appendix Vol. 1.  The pic I worked from was Fig. 304 on p121, but other shots taken at Kingsbridge include Figs. 62, 76, 256, 336 and 372.

Not that they show any topographical detail of Kingsbridge - just some trees & bushes behind the coaches.  Could be OOC, Kingswear, Thingley (wherever that is), Henley or any other of his favoured locations, but it does give some idea of the types of stock that worked as through coaches to Kingsbridge and how they appeared in the late 1940s.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Definitely looking as uniform as the average GWR train! :D

I know I'm picking my drool from the keyboard.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Hi again John. Thanks for the encouraging comments. I'm finding that what is available these days somewhat bewildering, having returned after a huge gap, and rather lacking in confidence. I take something out of its box,look at it, think 'I can't do that, so put it back. Silly really, as if I try and don't succeed I haven't really lost anything. I am thinking of doing a through station, single line, with a branch added for extra interest/operation, about 14 points in all. Set on a fictitious line across Bodmin Moor from Launceston to Bodmin. The theory is that it was a relief line for when there were engineering works on the Royal Albert Bridge or the eight viaducts between Plymouth and Bodmin. Set in the late thirties. 

I grew up right next door to Clapham Junction and spent hours there, and at Stewarts lane and Nine Elms 'spotting' predominantly grimy black engines. Then made a visit to Old Oak Common and saw some shiny green things ! - all just either side of 1950.

Three more questions,please, if you can help me blundering around in the wilderness!

You mention 16.2mm 00FS pointwork using C&L pre-fabricated crossing assemblies - I hope to use these, but cannot find any references to 16.2mm gauges - are they available ?

You have used cork underlay, chamfered to give a ballast shoulder, and also mention a further sub-base of sealed cell foam - how far does this extend, as it obviously it isn't cut back on the line of the cork.

I think the reduced backdrop height is very effective, and adds very much to the feeling of open space you have achieved. Does the backdrop extend down where the groundline falls below track level  - by the church/pub/

garage ?

I'll now return to my trawl through your photos - at least I can enjoy and dream !

many thanks for all the inspiration,

Geoff

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Biggles Dog said:

. I take something out of its box,look at it, think 'I can't do that, so put it back. Silly really, as if I try and don't succeed I haven't really lost anything. .......

Can I make a suggestion? Firstly, welcome back to the hobby. Secondly, why not try a couple of second hand locos or carriages first. Have a play around with them and see how you get on. On that basis that if you much them up (you wont), you wont have spent as much money.

I could scare you by saying I have 2 x brand new Hornby 61xx on the work bench in bits adding DCC sound at the moment. I've got bits of plastic and solder everywhere! 

25 minutes ago, Biggles Dog said:

I grew up right next door to Clapham Junction and spent hours there, and at Stewarts lane and Nine Elms 'spotting' predominantly grimy black engines. Then made a visit to Old Oak Common and saw some shiny green things ! -

I'm glad you saw the (Great Western) light :-) 

Welcome to RMWeb and good luck with your project.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Biggles Dog said:

You mention 16.2mm 00FS pointwork using C&L pre-fabricated crossing assemblies - I hope to use these, but cannot find any references to 16.2mm gauges - are they available ?

Hi Geoff,

16.2mm roller track gauges:

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/4MM-ROLLER-TRACK-GAUGES-SF-16-2MM-PAIR-p128178426

15.2mm roller check gauges (these are the most important, also usable with 16.5mm gauge):

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/4MM-ROLLER-TRACK-GAUGES-RAIL-SF-CHECK-RAIL-15-2MM-PAIR-p128178428

For the ready-made crossings, for 00-SF (and EM) you need the ones with 1.0mm flangeways.

To run on 00-SF your wheels need a minimum back-to-back of 14.3mm.

More 00-SF info:

https://4-sf.uk/

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
4-sf link added
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3