Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Last two in this sequence.  

I rather like this one, except for the gaping void ......

I prefer the original, each to their own! The loco, the subject, is at the intersection of thirds so where your eye is naturally drawn to. The area in bottom right is quite dark and no distracting mess. (Cropping out so the fascia lights aren't in would improve it a tad.)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, checkrail said:

Last two in this sequence.  

I rather like this one, except for the gaping void ......

T14.jpg.809530784034bd83f05e6a5a91060416.jpg

.... so here's a cropped version, with void avoided.

T15.jpg.068423d12fb41c85fae81aec32203557.jpg

John C

Always good to avoid a void.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As I made progress through my 2020 coach building programme a number of Hornby Colletts and other types were replaced ready to be cascaded - to use a later industry term - to other duties.  So I can feel a new train coming on!  (It will include one of the new C28s.)

I've always fancied a north to west express with a couple of LMS vehicles in the consist.  I don't want to build kits, let alone do any painting or lining (I have my work cut out enough with GWR coaches).  What are my options?  Latest Hornby Stanier carriages?   What are they like?  No idea what the earlier 'Railroad' type items were like.  I believe Bachmann/Mainline did some earlier period LMS models.  And weren't there some Dapol CKD kits I saw once on an exhibition stall?  I also remember reviews a year or two back of Bachmann 'porthole' stock, but think these are too modern for my late 1930s period.  Anything else I'm not aware of?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

John C.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

As I made progress through my 2020 coach building programme a number of Hornby Colletts and other types were replaced ready to be cascaded - to use a later industry term - to other duties.  So I can feel a new train coming on!  (It will include one of the new C28s.)

I've always fancied a north to west express with a couple of LMS vehicles in the consist.  I don't want to build kits, let alone do any painting or lining (I have my work cut out enough with GWR coaches).  What are my options?  Latest Hornby Stanier carriages?   What are they like?  No idea what the earlier 'Railroad' type items were like.  I believe Bachmann/Mainline did some earlier period LMS models.  And weren't there some Dapol CKD kits I saw once on an exhibition stall?  I also remember reviews a year or two back of Bachmann 'porthole' stock, but think these are too modern for my late 1930s period.  Anything else I'm not aware of?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

John C.

John, I'm not an LMS expert by any means but based on my own experiences:

- the latest Hornby coaches are very good.

- the earlier Hornby ones are not.

- Airfix/Dapol RTR come up nicely with flush glazing and a repaint. I've no experience of the more recent kits.

- Mainline Bachmann early RTR are OK but very deep windows that I haven't got round to flush glazing.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I would add to that the LMS 6 wheeled dining coach (given the dining provision on these trains was alternates between GW and LMS.). If you can get an original Dapol one they come with 2 chassis (one with full depth solebars and the other with cutaways to clear the bogies on train set curves) Hornby just did the latter.  I’ve done a Hornby one for Brent which had the holes in the solebars rebuilt and the bogies lowered.  The latter needs fixing as the new bogie bolt I added clashes with the middle axle!

The latest Hornby Stanier P3 coaches are nice models let down by a very flat finish.  I think I recall people using T Cut to add a bit of shine which did wonders for the colour, I’m thinking about adding a coat of Klear when I come to weather mine when my North and West set looses its place in the fiddleyard for the TPO

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I would add to that the LMS 6 wheeled dining coach (given the dining provision on these trains was alternates between GW and LMS.).

Thanks Rich.  Yes, that diner looks nice - and a bit different. But my near-scale 6 foot way (ok, 6 foot 9") and curved platform clearances would preclude it.  That's why I have no 70 footers.  So, as with most of my trains, I have to pretend that the refreshment facilities came off at Newton Abbott.

8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

when my North and West set looses its place in the fiddleyard for the TPO

Sounds familiar.  Once I commission this new train I'll have to temporarily remove another to get it into the fiddleyard.  Time to start making some cassettes I think.  In another life I'd have a bigger railway room - but wouldn't we all?

John.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, MonsalDan said:

Would the Ratio LNWR corridor coaches be of any use on LMS trains down in the west?

I have a photo of one in a 4 coach set between Exeter and Plymouth  in 1947, there’s a Centenary BCK in the same set as well.   One day I will obtain some LMS logos and numbers to finish it off!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MonsalDan said:

Would the Ratio LNWR corridor coaches be of any use on LMS trains down in the west?

They were my first thought - I liked the idea of older stock, and the various 1930s photo albums do show ex-LNWR stock on N to W trains.  But as I said, I wanted to avoid kit building and painting in this instance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I have a photo of one in a 4 coach set between Exeter and Plymouth  in 1947, there’s a Centenary BCK in the same set as well.  

I've seen that pic - I think maybe you posted it Rich.  A beautifully eclectic 4 coach formation!  If you exhibited a model of such you'd probably get several old wiseacres telling you it was unprototypical!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, checkrail said:

I've seen that pic - I think maybe you posted it Rich.  A beautifully eclectic 4 coach formation!  If you exhibited a model of such you'd probably get several old wiseacres telling you it was unprototypical!

I probably did share it to find out what coaches were included, I really need to get on and buy some sides for a Centenary BCK so that I can finish modelling it.   Still have no idea what on earth an LNWR coach was doing in a 4 coach set there, other than the GW must have borrowed a portion off a NW set to run a local service before it returned to the north.  (I suppose thinking about it  LMS coaches were in use on revenue trains in '47 on the Cheddar Valley branch so its not too far fetched).  

Doubt I will get it done this year, but certainly one on the list for completion in 2022.

• Like 2

In pre-grouping days there were around 5 North to West expresses in each direction daily.  There were no complete fixed formats because south of Bristol, some of the through carriages went on to Penzance whilst others didn't.  They came back North attached to different services.  So the balancing services were different.

IIRC there was one complete train of GWR stock that left Liverpool Lime St. each day.   I'm sure there was also one made up of LNWR stock that went South.  The dining cars would have been in a fixed sub-set with a LNWR or GWR vehicle either side probably a brake composite.

I doubt this changed much in LMS days as, in pre-computer days, it must have been a challenge to organise the timetables.  My interest is pre-WW1 so I don't have much info after that though the LMS carriage diagrams probably still exist.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2021 at 22:01, checkrail said:

Latest Hornby Stanier carriages?   

I have three and they're very nice too John. I run them on a Crewe- Plymouth service with GWR stock.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I have three and they're very nice too John. I run them on a Crewe- Plymouth service with GWR stock.

Further to my post above here they are.

1067176754_DSCN4636(3).JPG.425ac69ccdea08a8dd9f6b36353ec8da.jpg.2d11f5d666b43f28c68946bf9ddfd946.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, GWR8700 said:

The only problem with the Hornby Staniers is the lack of composite corridor stock.  A major omission which is key for many train formations.

I am not sure if Hornby have released those coaches in pre war LMS livery.

I seem to remember reading somewhere recently that the matching compo had a different length, so Hornby gave it a swerve.

I know very little about LMS coach liveries, other than that they were red (blue Coronation stock excepted).  Are Robin's coaches in a post war livery scheme, and if so what were the differences?  Must dig out 'The big four in colour' this evening.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A long shot that will stretch history a bit. The ex Triang Caledonian coach. It was issued in GWR colours amongst others but it is quite close for an ex Caledonian D95 Brake compo. Pre Grouping, It is known that theses coached worked to Taunton, arriving at Bristol on the 1.55pm Crewe Bristol. It worked back north on the 7.07 am Taunton -Crewe.

The Triang model needs 6 wheel bogies/ new underframe and the usual detailing. Who is to say this working did not continue into LMS days, further into GWR territory, with an all over Crimson repaint? Many lasted into BR.

Mike Wiltshire

1359147594_Caledonian(2).jpg.6536a4068c3ce844e2f0ee02c72da7d8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting idea Mike, and not as far fetched as one might think.  There's a great pic in the Norman Lockett archive book of a pretty grubby ex-West Coast Joint (i.e. LNWR & Caley) restaurant car at the top of Hemerdon in 1934, behind a Star in a Plymouth - Liverpool train.

But in the interests of simplicity I've just ordered a couple of the Hornby Stanier coaches.  Didn't want this to be a big project, just a way of using up some of the Hornby & Bachmann coaches cascaded from other trains in the course of my coach building programme.

John C.

Edited by checkrail
West Coast, not 'Coach' !
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/01/2021 at 17:23, Coach bogie said:

Pre Grouping, It is known that theses coached worked to Taunton, arriving at Bristol on the 1.55pm Crewe Bristol. It worked back north on the 7.07 am Taunton -Crewe.

A 12 wheel Caley brake composite worked from Glasgow through to Weston-super-Mare prior to WW1.  Caley Coaches make the correct diagram.

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

posted by BRM on You Tube John.;)

Wow!  Had no idea.  Thanks Robin.  

(Was nice to see the 28xx in action again.  It's currently on the workbench awaiting a new just-about-everything.)

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4