New products thread - Any objections?

Talltim

Would anyone have any objections to me compiling a new product release thread?. Obviously anyone else would be welcome to add news too? I was thinking of purely news rather than review and especially concentrating on the smaller manufacturers.

• RMweb Gold

Probably best to keep the scales separate to keep it clear. May I suggest a header, maybe on each post, that if you wish to discuss in detail please look for a specific thread or create one and ask the person posting the new item to edit and add a link to the discussion to that new item posting?

I think that would be great Simon, if we have the numbers to make use of it. Sub sections use up space and if used regularly, can be a great asset. If they are not regularly receiving new threads though, they can quickly become ghost forums that serve little practical purpose.

Edit: Does the forum have a poll option?I think that would give a good indication of how many people would be interested in a sub section and hence would provide more information to take to the bosses if we were to ask for such a thing

Grouping them together is fine if we can just make all the titles start with the scale so they are easy to search ;)

HO C44 etc etc

Sure, but what about those new products that are useful across scales ( and please do not use gauge as that has nothing to do with scales. A new 4mm product coud be used on EM, P4, OO, 009 ... and might even have a use on others.

I'd also like to suggest quite strongly that the big manufacturers are excluded as they already have big areas of their own and please, please keep them free of wishlists and release dates. Only put a topic/post up when it is actually available from the supplier along with links to the supplier's website.

• RMweb Gold

It would definitely be useful, especially if we had one for N as well.

One thing on Kenton's point about only posting when they are available - if things are only made to satisfy pre-orders then it would be useful to include items that are available to order and the order deadlines so that people don't miss out.

Cheers, Mike

Well I started, I had a look at Graham Muz' Southern one as suggested. Let me know if this a useful format, the content can always be moved to a different format.

I considered what Kenton said about the larger manufacturers, I think I will only post completely new models as opposed to re-issues/re-liveries, however if anyone else wants to post, I have no problem with it. People do tend to have a better idea what the likes of Walthers, Athearn and Atlas are doing anyway. However I think he got mixed up with which sub-forum he was reading as apart from Rapido none of the NA manufacturers have their own area on RMWeb and they don't tend to post about their NA stuff on it.

• RMweb Gold

Sure, but what about those new products that are useful across scales ( and please do not use gauge as that has nothing to do with scales. A new 4mm product coud be used on EM, P4, OO, 009 ... and might even have a use on others.

I'd also like to suggest quite strongly that the big manufacturers are excluded as they already have big areas of their own and please, please keep them free of wishlists and release dates. Only put a topic/post up when it is actually available from the supplier along with links to the supplier's website.

We are talking US models here Kenton ;)

Scenics and electrics could be a topic for new items ;)

We are talking US models here Kenton ;)

why limit it to such a small sector of the market?

Nothing wrong with a 3.5mm scale section/topic.

(and yes, this topic is in the Continental/Overseas area. Only just seen that - I don't browse RMWeb by area, I look out for new content wherever that might pop up - except blogs) but why not use a good idea to its full potential? There might be the odd one or two interested in other scales.

why limit it to such a small sector of the market?

Nothing wrong with a 3.5mm scale section/topic.

(and yes, this topic is in the Continental/Overseas area. Only just seen that - I don't browse RMWeb by area, I look out for new content wherever that might pop up - except blogs) but why not use a good idea to its full potential? There might be the odd one or two interested in other scales.

If other folk want to do the same for other interests in other parts of the site, go for it. ;)

Archived