New Bachmann BR 4MT 2-6-0 waggle

Have just bought 2 brand new Bachmann locos, a BR 5MT and a BR 4MT 2-6-0.

Ran them on a test track and they ran smoothly.

When I put them on the rolling road to run them in, there was a noticeable amount of lateral waggle on the 4MT, about 1mm of movement, which does not sound a lot, but it looks bad, compared to the 5MT, negligible waggle.

Given that it looks fine when actually moving on the track, how much movement is acceptable?

Can it be a quartering issue?, If the quartering is out it there would be a tight spot at the same point every rev, or of course lock up.

I can of course always send it back, but wondered if it was acceptable. 

Your opinions most welcome.

Forgive me for stating the obvious but if they run fine on the track, do you need to worry about them waggling slightly on a rolling road? Do any of your other locos waggle on the rolling road? Could it be a problem with the set up of the rolling road?

I would be most interested to read what the experts say.

Forgive me for stating the obvious but if they run fine on the track, do you need to worry about them waggling slightly on a rolling road? Do any of your other locos waggle on the rolling road? Could it be a problem with the set up of the rolling road?

I take your point, and that was my question really, although it runs fine on the track whether it could lead to problems later on, ie. excessive wear.

It was just that the waggle was so pronounced compared to the 5MT.

Depending on the model of the rolling road there is often some movement.

If the loco runs ok on the track I wouldn't worry about it.

The rolling road is a DCC Concepts.

• RMweb Gold

The waggle is known as 'hunting' and is not uncommon on full sized two cylinder locos.

I would doubt whether the hunting your 2-6-0 is suffering from is caused by a quartering issue: That would most likely manifest itself in a 'stiff spot' at some time during the revolution of the coupled wheels.

Does your test track have any pointwork or is it just plain track?

I ask this because you may have a slight variation between the back to back dimensions of the leading and trailing wheelsets.

Of course, you also have to bear in mind that if you are using 16.5 mm gauge, then there is going to be about 2 mm clearance between the flanges and the inner faces of the rail, so some sideways movement is going to be inevitable.

It just sounds as if the wheel is not on at right angles to the axle, a side to side movement, A lot of locos get delivered like this, and mostly easy to cure.

It does not show much on the track due to the clearances, but rollers bear differently and in two places and tend to show the wobble more.

Turn over the loco, and apply low power to just turn it over gently, using a foam cradle to hold it.

Any side to side wobble will show, and easing / twisting the wheel with fine pliers with soft jaws can correct the wobble, however if it is bad, pop it back to the shop for replacement or repair. The problem is usually confined to the insulated side, metal mounted wheels are usually OK.

Eccentricity, up and down, is another factor, the wheel is rotating out of true, and cannot be corrected at home, straight back to the shop.........It is certainly possible to have a loco with both problems at once, and on rollers it will have a distinct waddle.

If assembly was perfect then these things would not happen, but life is not perfect, and inspectors slip up in the factories. It is up to the shop to replace or repair, and hopefully report it to the supplier so that they can get it sorted out.

Stephen

Fit a few fibre washers on one of the axles. I did this and it cured the waddle mine had. There is way too much slop in the chassis. I put two on each side of the rear axle.

I also pulled the axles out on the tender and fitted a thin brass washer inside of the stub axle wheel which also cured a little wobble there too.

I don't think its the wheels which are generally pretty good from Bachman. Their chassis always have too much slop.

Discovered the waggle on a Bachmann Std 4 2-6-4T was being caused by the speedo drive. I solved that be removing the pin that holds the two parts of the speedo drive - visually you cannot tell that its not fully connected up but it solved the waggle and also makes body removal a bit easier.

• RMweb Premium

I had a Hornby D49 that hunted terribly  - sorry.....

Seriously, I have a Bachmann Ivatt 4MT that waggles when running light, but behaves itself impeccably when pulling even a fairly light train. Have you tried your loco with some stock?

• RMweb Gold

I have several locos that waddled on the rolling road but run fine on various layouts. None the other way round.

The ones that did waddle only tended to do so in one direction. When put into reverse most didn't do it. 

My rolling road is a one piece unit by De Locloods, made in the Netherlands and purchased from ZTC years ago when few others had entered the market.

If you have one of the types consisting of individual roller carriers that clip on to the rails, use them on a piece of rigid set track or a piece of flexi that is properly fixed down. Using them on a loose length of flexi can introduce all manner of variables, including a tendency to waddle. 

John

might be worth a cursory glance along the coupling rods to ensure that none are bent, that was the case on a pannier of mine, it was never corrected and over time the bent side caused the axle slot to wear so badly I've had to bin the chassis! 

Archived