HO North American Product News

Talltim

Sweet!

Very sweet indeed! Not for me though as I gave US 0 scale an expensive try a few years ago and that convinced me that I am thoroughly wedded to H0 scale. Plus, I know no-one else personally who does S scale. But, it is awfully nice though.

Watch out for those import duties.

John.

5 days left, and already has 30 bids.  Up to $310.  I'm not in S scale, but I'm tempted to watch this just to see how high it goes...

It will either go to someone who is a dedicated S-scaler, who REALLY wants it, or to a collector with plenty of spare pocket-money, looking for somewhere to spend it and add it to his showcase.

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

There are no import duties (as has been pointed out consistently at various times) but there is VAT - which is calculated not just on the item but also the shipping costs.

And then there's the "handling fee".

I usually budget on converting the dollar sale price into pounds, but usually it is a little less than that. At the moment, probably 90% of the USD cost expressed as (not in!) GBP, i.e. $400 is about £360. If the price goes more than $50 much above that, then the buyer is an idiot.

They are excellent models: I have one, and have had two others in the past (so 1.7% of total production has passed through my hands - 180 were made). Good fidelity, and a very smooth drive.

£400 may seem a lot for an engine, but these have bags of character and won't let you down, and other than maybe another 44 tonner, or another switcher (the plastic SW1 and SW8/9/1200 and NW2 are usually about half the price) then who needs more for a short line?

• RMweb Premium

North American outline brass is in some ways a sub-hobby in itself with quite a following of enthusiasts. At one time NA brass was part of the mainstream hobby in the US and Canada, the top end of the scale admittedly but companies like PFM published catalogues, imported models in significant numbers and they were sold via regular dealers. At a time of Athearn blue box, Mantua, Bachmann etc (and even Rivarossi) brass was sort of an equivalent to high end super detailed European HO. Then in the 80's prices went North as the brass importers cranked up detail, more models were factory finished etc and at the same time companies like Kato were pushing plastic RTR standards up. By the late 90's brass had gone from being expensive but still part of the mainstream hobby to being an expensive niche within a niche for those with deep pockets, although for NA steam enthusiasts brass is often the only route other than scratch building. By the 00's production runs of brass had become trivial, barely into two figures. However, there is a lot of beautiful classic brass available and although prices seem to have firmed up a bit recently you can pick up some lovely pieces at sensible prices. I always keep an eye open whenever a new HO super detail diesel is released as what tends to happen is a few brass items appear on the market as some turn to the newer plastic release causing a dip in prices which then often recovers after a few months.

Edited by jjb1970

Most earlier brass  1960's - 90's  isnt fit for DCC unless motors are replaced and isolated and  also holes drilled for lights and sound . Often a decent gearbox is needed. especially 0n 60's - 70's .i usually fit NWSL . Most brass looks good but sometimes isnt accurate to the last detail unless you get very pricey modern . Especially for steam its often the only show in town . At least when you pickup brass it doesnt have parts falling off and breaking like plastic ones so give me brass anyday . Early brass diesels like KTM often run badly and frankly a set of Stanton /spud  type  drives from NWSL is  the best cure and leaves the body clear for all sorts of DCC gubbins.

hope it helps .

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough I find a lot of older brass with open frame motors to be pretty much bomb proof when it comes to running and far less problematic than later brass, although it is true that those models aren't DCC friendly. As detail levels went up it became more of a problem to run brass kettles especially reliably as there was so much potential to get short circuits. I find brass diesels can be hit and miss, despite often having high end "brand name" motors (e.g. Canon, Buhler, Faulhaber) and trick compensated chassis running can be variable and of course there is the infamous Ajin universal joint issue. Beautiful models though. This may be just me, but I found that after getting a taste for Overland, Tenshodo etc brass that regular RTR just isn't the same.

Looking at that, maybe S is above the price i want to pay lol, maybe 0 would be a better bet, but the crudeness of 3 rail items puts me off. 
I want to dabble in something bigger than HO as a side project, as much as I love it, I just like the physical presence of the larger scales

• RMweb Premium

You do get US outline two rail O, although it is a minor interest compared to three rail. Atlas do some nice models, and some brass O is remarkably good (but expensive).

Looking at that, maybe S is above the price i want to pay lol, maybe 0 would be a better bet, but the crudeness of 3 rail items puts me off. 

I want to dabble in something bigger than HO as a side project, as much as I love it, I just like the physical presence of the larger scales

You do get US outline two rail O, although it is a minor interest compared to three rail. Atlas do some nice models, and some brass O is remarkably good (but expensive).

FYI - Rich Yoder made a very nice 44 tonner in 2 rail O scale brass.  Not exactly the easiest model to find for sale, but they are out there.

He also made a 70 tonner which is equally nice.

For those wanting to know more about Arrowhead Models the Modelers Life Podcast has done an interview with Blaine discussing his new company.  Key item from the podcast first item will be announced late June / early July.

Main website   https://www.amodelerslife.com/

iTunes link   https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/a-modelerslife/id905596672?mt=2

non-iTunes link    http://modelerslife.libsyn.com/arrowhead-models

A special announcement from Athearn on Memorial Day.

They are doing a run of their upcoming Norfolk Southern SD60E rebuilds as loco #6920 in the special "Honouring our Veterans" paint scheme.

PDF here : http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/052518/01_GEN_SD60E_052518.pdf

Edit : Now available to pre-order at Model Junction. I'm sure other retailers are also available. Usual disclaimers apply.

Edited by Supaned

Grandt Line and San Juan have both been bought up. Doug Junda and Robert Stears have purchased the two companies and will continue with operations. They already operate Cimarron Works and the Leadville shops in conjunction with Bill Meredith. I understand they have also picked up San Juan Decals as well.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

Grandt Line and San Juan have both been bought up. Doug Junda and Robert Stears have purchased the two companies and will continue with operations. They already operate Cimarron Works and the Leadville shops in conjunction with Bill Meredith. I understand they have also picked up San Juan Decals as well.

Could you possibly divulge your source for this information.  I have yet to see any reference to the sale on any North American boards. Tichy is working overtime to ensure all the types of HO window from Grandt Line remain available. Grandt Lines factory is only about 4 miles from where I live so I am very interested in their plans. The only thing on their website is: " Negotiations for the sale of our molds and tooling is in the works…"

Could you possibly divulge your source for this information.  I have yet to see any reference to the sale on any North American boards. Tichy is working overtime to ensure all the types of HO window from Grandt Line remain available. Grandt Lines factory is only about 4 miles from where I live so I am very interested in their plans. The only thing on their website is: " Negotiations for the sale of our molds and tooling is in the works…"

A fbook entry from Dan Dawdy of O/S Scale Resource on 28 May at 21.27:

"Great news about Grandt Line and San Juan. Doug Junda stopped by our Model Railroad Resource table at O/S Scale West and said that he and Robert Stears have purchased Grandt Line & part of San Juan. More later!"   :onthequiet:

Rapido newsletter 101 is out http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-101---More-scintillating-information-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=9iLSsdMEIao

2 main highlights

Pictures of the factory painted pre-production sample of the Royal Hudson, order deadline is July 1st 2018

Next product announcement is June 25 at the Rapido dealer open house and will consist of HO and N, both Canadian and American models.

Also a factory update.

Scaletrains has announced a 4180cf Airslide Covered Hopper https://www.scaletrains.com/collections/rivet-counter-4180cf-airslide-covered-hopper

Do you know if the prices shown in bold are pre-order prices, with the 'crossed-out' prices being prices after release? If not, what are those two prices? I've tried to find out from the website, but failed.

This was due to be released at the same time as the Operator 4180cf and 4655cf hoppers, but Tangent announced theirs at the same time (and Tangent release at the same time as announcing) so Scaletrains agreed not to release their competing model, the Rivet Counter version until Tangent had time to make their sales. SC do have a couple of detail versions that Tangent haven’t done

Edit : Some more info on which protoypes the Scaletrains and Tangent (and Walthers) cars represent

http://atlasrescueforum.proboards.com/post/110056

Edited by Talltim

• 3 weeks later...

Rapido Trains made 4 announcements on Facebook Live today.

(also, order deadline for the Royal Hudson has been changed to August 13th 2018 to allow for a second decorated sample to arrive from the factory and hopefully a YouTube video).

1st

Alco RS11 - many variations tooled including multiple different air filter arrangements, metal / canvas sunshades, SP light package and expansion tank on roof, lit up control stands in cab, Pennsy train phone where appropriate.

Alco demonstrator, Pennsy, Penn Central, Conrail, New Haven, NW (2 versions), LV

http://rapidotrains.com/ho-alco-rs11-launch.html

US$225DC/$335DCC-Sound

Order deadline Oct 15 2018, delivery est. mid 2019

2nd

MLW RS18 - CN (3100s and 3800s) and CN Tempo version (no HEP, HEP version only available in Tempo Box set), CP versions.

http://rapidotrains.com/ho-mlw-rs18-launch.html

US$225DC/$335DCC-Sound

Order deadline Oct 15 2018, delivery est. mid 2019

3rd

Tempo Coaches - Coach, club car, cafe bar lounge.  Diecast frame, detailed trucks.  Only way to get CN or VIA club car and cafe bar lounge is in the box set including the RS18 with HEP.

http://rapidotrains.com/ho-tempo-launch.html

[Rio Grande Ski Train will come in the future when they do an appropriate F40 to go with the Ski Train Tempo cars]

Box Set - loco, club, cafe, coach -  US$530DC/$650DCC-Sound

CN or VIA coaches US$110 (also undec. coaches)

Algoma Central/Agawa Canyon Cars -US$110, production contingent on sufficient pre-orders

Finally, for N scale

The Dash8-40CM.  This is a all new design from the drawings, not a scaled down version of the HO model.  Fully detailed including working rock lights on the BC Rail version.

http://rapidotrains.com/n-dash-8-40cm-launch.html

US$149.95DC/$259.95DCC-Sound

Order deadline Oct. 15 2018, delivery mid 2019

Edited by mdvle

• RMweb Gold

I quite fancy at least one of those N Scale Dash 8-40CM. Does anyone know do any UK based retailers who are taking orders for them?

Rails of sheffield do have some Rapidi items in their site but not these. I have emailed them a week ago but as yet no reply.