HO North American Product News

Talltim

Rapido Canadian 3800 cu.ft. Cylindrical Hopper

127-cn371600-gb-800.jpg

At a glance similar to the Intermountain National Steel Car 4550cf, Atlas American Car and Foundry 3500cf, Bachmann NSC 4650cf ( which which have been available in 'foobie' paint masquerading as 3800s) and the PWRS Hawker Siddeley 4550cf hopper cylindrical hoppers, this car is older and slightly smaller. The main distinguishing spotting features are the shorter length, lower sill/frame design, and straight body ends.

Unlike most of the the cars previously mentioned, these Rapido cars are not used for grain, but for powdered minerals and industrial chemicals, including cement and potash. There will be variants to suit the differences between the NSC and Marine Industries built cars. These are in Rapido's standard detailed range rather than their budget Prime Movers one.

Paint Schemes

Canadian National

• CN (as delivered grey with red noodle)
  • CN – Potash Display Scheme
  • CNLX (grey with large black noodle)
  • CN (mineral brown with small noodle/website)

Canadian Pacific

1. CP (as delivered black with script lettering)
  2. CP (CP Rail with early Multimark)
  3. CP (CP Rail with late Multimark)

Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo

• THB (as delivered)

Procor

• UNPX (as delivered with ‘Flying P’ logo)
  • UNPX (light grey repaint with blue logo)
Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

Moloco General American Corp 50' RBL with 10'6" offset door

post-6836-0-10759400-1467293604_thumb.jpg

A new release of the existing RBL (insulated boxcar) model with new paint schemes including a new variant without roofwalks.
In 1962 General American Corp. started to build their most popular insulated boxcar designs, a refinement of their proven 1950s design. One of the major developments for the car design and unique to General American was it's all welded body construction, where only the roof was bolted on after insulation. Some of these car lasted at least into the 90s.

• MILWAUKEE:-Specifically, this series of cars were built in March 1964 and equipped with Hydra-Cushion devices. The handbrakes used were AJAX. Car numbers #2941 was assigned at one point to Glencoe, MN, and #2941 was assigned to Beaver Dam, MN.
  • ROCK:-Some of the original Rock Island purchased cars were repainted in 1979 to the new ROUTE ROCK scheme. This set of cars represent a series that were equipped with DF-2 loaders. No roofwalk, cut down ladders on the A end and double Third Arms on the plug doors.
  • MOPAC:-The Mopac purchased these 100 cars built in November 1964, 780050-780149. The lettering reflects the features and equipment for the car, Cushion Car, Insulated, Load Divider, Keystone 20 Underframe. Two of the car numbers were assigned at delivery it seems, 780126 on the Wabash in Decatur, IL and 780130 on the Mopac in Kansas City.
  • CONRAIL:-Conrail and the D&H split the quantities of the ex-EL GA RBLs, once the EL came into the CR fold. Conrail placed them in the BE558 class. It was not until 1987-1988 that Conrail bothered to repaint their cars. No roofwalk and single Third Arm on the plug doors.
  • WABASH:-The second series of Wabash cars were built in November 1964, one of the major differences from the previously released cars was the omission of the LD door logo. This series were still equipped with loaders in the form bulkheads noted by the door markings. They received Equipco 3750 handbrakes.
  •  
  • Like 1

Westerfield Models UP/SP S-40-1/2/3 pressed steel underframe stock car resin kit (in progress)

post-6836-0-27245500-1467295554_thumb.jpg

The photo shows the S-40-1 car sides and ends for the rebuilt version (operating era: Early 1920s- 1950). This side has the double deck supports for the Oregon Short Line car. The single deck S-40-1 will be for the LA&SL.
The blocked off end hatch versions are for the later years as the B end was blocked in the early 1930's and the A end in the late '30's, early '40's. The S-40-2/3 will have single and double deck versions as well, both for UP and SP.

(From the  Westerfield Facebook page)

• Like 1

Accurail 36' wood double sheathed boxcar

post-6836-0-40412300-1467302491.png

Accurail are producing kits for four different variants on the double sheathed* 36' boxcar theme. The model is mainly inspired by a 1914 New York Central box car design, but depending on the details, these cars are suitable for a period between the 1910 and the 1950s

1300 series – steel roof, steel ends, and fishbelly underframe

1400 series – steel roof, steel ends, and straight underframe

1700 series – steel roof, wood ends, and fishbelly underframe

1800 series – steel roof, wood ends, and straight underframe

The kits will be available undecorated and in various pre-printed versions

Eric Hansmann has produced written an article with more details and produced some datasheets for matching the various versions to prototype cars.

*A double-sheathed boxcar has sheathing, or siding, on both sides of the structural members which make up the sides of the car.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2

Owl Mountain Models SP/UP F-50-Series Flat Car Kits

attachicon.gifOMM_F-50-9_at_Bealville1_sm.jpg

Three injection moulded kits representing different varieties of the F-50 flatcars built between 1910 and 1929 The early F50-4 was built for a variety of Harriman owned railroads before the breakup of the Harriman empire in 1913

I saw the test shots of the flat cars at the June 18 Bay Area Prototype Modelers meeting. They are excellent. 

• Like 1

BLMA/Atlas Trinity 5660 PD Covered Hopper

post-6836-0-27516400-1467379192.jpg

One of the last models announced by BLMA before their purchase by Atlas, These modern (1999-now) hoppers are used for powders such as flour, flyash, talc, etc. First built by Thrall, after their takeover by TrinityRail construction has continued under their own name. When unloading the interior is pressurised to eject the content and prevent it caking. They can be unloaded using fixed or mobile equipment so are suitable for use at industries or on the team track unloading into road vehicles.

They are currently available through the BLMA website rather than the Atlas one, but are shipped by Atlas.

Four paint schemes with six road numbers each

CITX - CIT Bank leasing

GACX - ConAgra Mills

CEFX - North Dakota

TILX - Trinity leasing

• Like 1

Tangent Pullman-Standard PS-1 40’ Mini-Hy Cube

post-6836-0-92814500-1467973554.jpg

These slightly strange looking 40' boxcars were built by Pullman Standard in 1967-68 for the conveyance of appliances such as washing machines, mainly from the midwest states. Similar cars were also built by other manufacturers and they all used different variations of the  word 'high', 'hi' or hy' The PS version was bought by 5 railroads, and they were often used in pooled service (although some had specific 'Return to' labelling) so could be seen all over the country. After they were replaced in appliance traffic many were used for paper up until the 1990s.

The Tangent model comes in four paint schemes and an unpainted kit.

Chicago Burlington & Quincy "Chinese Red 10-67" Choice of return routes to ATSF Galesburg IL or SLSF Ft Smith AR. Originally assigned to Admiral. 4 road numbers.

Denver Rio Grande Western "Original Brown 1967" Return to EL, Marion OH route stencil. Originally assigned to Whirlpool. 3 road numbers.

Illinois Central "Original Orange 1967" Return to Agent NYC RR Evansville Indiana When Empty. Originally assigned to Whirlpool. 4 road numbers.

Milwaukee Road "Original 1968 DF2" “When Empty Return to Agent NYC Evansville Ind” Originally assigned to Whirlpool. 4 road numbers.

Here's a page about previous models of 40' high cube boxcars

• Like 2

ScaleTrains SD40-2

post-6836-0-60047800-1467990981.jpg

Available in their Operator (simplified detail and printing) and Rivet Counter (full detail) ranges. I think the NS Admiral cab is the first RTR

Operator paint schemes (3 road numbers)

BNSF/Wedge

CSX/YN3

Norfolk Southern/Horsehead

Union Pacific/Post 1980

Rivet Counter (4 road numbers

Burlington Northern green

Chessie System

Norfolk Southern/Admiral Cab

Southern/High Hood

Union Pacific/Post 1980

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 3

Spring Mills Depot DODX flat cars

Department of Defence 12 wheeled flatcars. These car were built from 1981, the first by FGE and then others by Thrall and Ortner

Available in 5 versions

• Buffer car - Flat deck
  • Nuclear flask server - Flat deck
  • Heavy duty vehicle transport - Channel deck, painted numbers
  • Heavy duty vehicle transport - Channel deck, raised numbers
  • Heavy duty vehicle transport - Flat deck, raised numbers

Each one will come with 20 moulded tie-down chains.

Photos of the real thing at RailcarPhotos

Note that Spring Mills tend to have very long lead times, but the cars they have produced are worth waiting for. Will it beat the Albrae Models one to be released?

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some nice stuff is coming out from Broadway Limited, for all fans of US-electrics as seen on Trainworld:

- GG1 (ok, another one beside MTH and Bachmann)

- P5a BoxCab

See it here:

http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/broadway-limited/broadway-limited-paragon-3/ho-diesel-paragon-3/?PAGEN_1=3

The GG1 is a re-release, I believe it first came out about in the early noughties. Its taken a while for the supporting cast to appear, but a P5a is very welcome.

Edited by 298

Electric/interurban fans might also find these interesting:http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10386089

Cheers,

Mark.

It certainly looks useable and offers an alternative to the Roundhouse coffee grinder.

Also on an electric theme is this GE 50 tonner in HO from an as yet unnamed Shapeways Store. Designed to fit on a Bachmann 44 tonner chassis (with 10.5mm diameter ones from the 70 tonner), with separate details for the headlights, bell, electrical gear, and steps to customize it.

post-6819-0-40196200-1480427217_thumb.jpg

Edited by 298
  • Like 3

It certainly looks useable and offers an alternative to the Roundhouse coffee grinder.

Tramway also released a similar model of a JNR ED14:

10365575a2.jpg

I have two of these locos, and I'm very happy with them. They run beautifully - quiet, smooth and very controllable.

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough I am watching this topic from here in the US.  There is nothing I have found that covers new North American products on a constant basis here in the on any of the North American forums I belong to. I will not sign up for Model Railroader's forum as they require a paid subscription to the magazine I do not want. I actually read MR monthly (takes all of 15 minutes these days) but buy my monthly issue from my local hobby shop (I still have one.)

Model Railroad Hobbyist posts are the closest I get to real time and it is not a consistent source for new product information.

I realize this is voluntary contributions rather than someone searching daily through the trade announcements for new products. But it is far easier to check than any of the US forums or Yahoo Groups that I belong to. 

At the moment I have a rather narrow US focus on Southern Pacific in the 1947-54 period with special emphasis for equipment and structures applicable to the San Ramon Valley branch east of San Francisco. I don't expect highly specialized products to appear here. (Right now I am looking for the HO Queen Anne style windows and doors that were used in SP Type 18 depot buildings with little luck.)  Still I am interested in anything new that will enrich the hobby.

best

• Like 3