EYE WATERING PRICE INCREASES FROM SHAPEWAYS

The only big problem I have had with Shapeways was a couple of years ago(have not noticed it since), and that was depth of print on one side of an item was different to other. It was most apparent with my inset track system. This I put down to position in the printer, and I have not noticed it since. I have also made slight changes to designs to minimalise any problem. This was with WSF.

There have been  various problems with FUD and other better(??) quality plastics, and is why I suggest people try other companies if they want consistent quality, but it will cost more and might not be as convenient. Please just stop moaning about Shapeways though, as it is not helping.

The only continual problem I have found, is not inconsistency with final product, but inconsistency with respect to rejection. Like many here, I push it to the limits, as I want plastic to be as thin as it can be. This is not just for looks, but also for cost. Others have mentioned it, but you can have an item being printed OK many times, then gets rejected. One problem with this is that i can put a fix in place, and then it is OK, but I am not certain if it will get rejected again in the future.

Sometimes if I have a biggish order, i am canny. I have noticed that small orders are often processed quicker, but if you put a small order in, then put a second small order it, it seems to get processed quicker than if I had put it in one order in the first place. Like with anything else concerning Shapeways, and indeed any 3d printing, is to understand what can be done and what can not be done and to adapt to that.

It is this deal with things being printed many times then them changing the goal posts cancelling people's orders that drives me and others batty. Until they get consistent they will continue to wind us up.

I have much standardization with regards to sprue design and many variants of the same thing so if they fail one after it has already printed I then I have to redo 10 or so designs rather than one. When you go through this faff almost continiously to the point where the sprues are more than twice as thick as the components you tend to loose patience and pull them off the sprues that then sometimes increases the price. Saving for my own 3DP!

I do like Shapeways don't think I don't but they also drive me nuts and the bad is a problem that they never seem to address. Until they sort this and the other issues out people will continue to whinge here and there.

Different people doing manual checks means different opinions all the time. Moving goal posts and standards is not ideal to the say the least.

Just wondering which materials are causing the biggest problems. To get to the bottom of any problem , you need to provide evidence, that means listing as much about the material and the type of model. The problem with just whinging is that it does not say anything helpful.

This could then result in a list of helpful hints, as I have found some problems are down to my designs.The warning logos I often get when I upload something don't help me. I know I am pushing designs to the limit of what can be printed, but it would be nice to know exactly which bits are a problem.

If people do want whinging, then I can top everything with what I think of the Shapeways database/website design. Obviously I don't fit into the average Shapeways designer category, having so many items, many very similar looking, and it is a bit easier now than it was 3 years ago to update, but .....

Far easier for me was to write my own website as a front end, but then It might be handy to be able to access info such as prices, not necessarily for online use, but to be able to produce offline catalogues.

Biggest issue for me is the sprues. They print the model a few times so I think it is ok, I then standardize the design for the variants. Then they decide the sprues are not good enough so I have to redesign not only the fail but the other 9 or 5 that have the same geometry. This happens a lot with me and it is driving me away.

Some sprues are now twice as fat as the components which makes no sense. Other sprues I have gave in with and pulled them off but that increases the price.

The only time I use sprues is to do multiple items in one go. Yes, they do seem to expect the sprues to be even bigger, but I can understand that getting weight balance is important for items which could bend under the weight applied to them.

There was a suggestion that creating a sealed loop, fitted loosely between items would in effect create one item in the machine. I considered it for chairs and tables, but in the end just added some small sprues.

For me one big advantage of 3D printing is ability to create a complex shape in one piece. Only if it is necessary to split an item into sections for access will I split the design up.If the design needs to be logically in separate sections(ie components) I will design it as separate sections or components and put them together at the assembly stage of the design. I assume this is possible with other CAD software.

On the size of sprues, looking at many injection moulded kits and quite often there is more plastic in the sprue than the actual kit parts. Probable same reason as what Shapeways are finding.

When I do have multiple items , such as those used in my level crossing mechanism, I have tried uploading different versions with different mixes of parts, and quite often it is as cheap, sometimes even cheaper to print single pieces. Only explanation is that they waste less space. Sometimes having a few pieces in one pack and single pieces for other parts gets best price. Can't assume that having all parts in one sprue connected assembly is the cheapest. Just have to make sure it is documented in the items description, so people know to order all parts.

On the size of sprues, looking at many injection moulded kits and quite often there is more plastic in the sprue than the actual kit parts. Probable same reason as what Shapeways are finding.

The reason injection mould sprues are often chunky relative to the parts is that they need to make it easy for the molten plastic to get into the mould.  To fill fine details the plastic needs to stay runny (i.e. well above its melting point).  If the feed runners were too thin the plastic would cool too much and would require too much pressure for the cavity to fill properly.  This reasoning doesn't apply to 3d printing so I guess that shapeways' rules hare just to do with strength when handling.

Good for you then, good luck with consistent reprints. :stinker:    They probably didn't recognise them as sprues because if they did you would likely not have had it printed.  Based on the way you posted that I am getting the impression you think it is all plain sailing and you haven't had any of the botheration I have (with thicker sprues!).  I may be wrong though, fully accept that.

• 3 weeks later...

Just going to make my first order from Shapeways and found a coupon code for free postage on orders over $25 during August. That's saved me AU$14.99! Type this code in during the checkout:  SHOPSHIPAUGUST

Cheers

Jon

• 1 month later...

thought it might be worth bumping this up.Title might seem negative, but if anyone wants to avoid paying more, buy now before end of month. Exchange rates on Shapewatys are only adjusted at month end.

I am a winner and loser. My products have gone up in price, but as add on price/commission is fixed and priced in dollars/euros i get more pounds each time(well more like a few extra pennies in practice).

It's pretty well killed my UK sales from Shapeways - However US sales are unaffected.

Not sure how much is the 20% decline in the pound or just brexit blues - people being uncertain and not spending on discretionary purchases like models. My ebay sales have crashed too and most of them were at the old price in pounds.

Given that most of our models are imported now I wonder how it's going to affect the rest of the hobby once the inevitable price rises work their way through the system?

Tom

always dfficult to judge why something happens. it could just be coincidence. if there are only a limited number of customers, and they decide not to spend money, it could be for various reasons. Sometimes I think it is just some people being grumpy and mean, using this as an excuse. If people have the money, are they really being that wise keeping it in the bank, rather than spending it. I am more a spender than a saver. The banks love us to keep money in their hands, but they also need it to move around.

As I have a wide range of items, I can see trends if they are happening. If there is suddenly more people starting new layouts and they want inset/tramway track,then they may be interested in my track. If they want buildings then that may be of more interest. locos, wagons and coaches, I would expect to be fairly constant. I started my WW1 range because of the anniversary. OO9 is more popular, but then other scales sometimes get hits.

My letter to try and create a group of 3D printing designers is in latest copy of Railway Modeller. My copy just popped through door. I feel that 3D printing in the hobby is not getting enough exposure, in magazines or at exhibitions. I have been asked about possibility of giving talks to clubs, and I am seriously thinking about this. Ithink the technology has reached the stage where it can be promoted better. I will have to see what happens. I am at Leeds exhibition at end of month so will see what reaction I get this time.

Up till now apart from a few adverts, we have depended on network publicity. People tell me they were not aware of my models, only by putting it in front of them are we going to get over that hurdle. There are still many obstacles, not having items to actually sell at exhibitions is a hindrence, but making it easier for people to buy items there to be delivered to them might help. There is a resistence to online trade from some, but instead of just saying that is how it has to be, we need to meet some people half way.

Archived