Kelvin Barnes not so new website

houseman

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

Your website looks good, but please dont be disheartened if you dont receive feedback/comments.  

My groups website has had over 34000 views (and the majority are repeat viewers) in 3 years, but very little comments

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kelvin,

This is the first time that I have come across your website, and I have to say that I am very impressed. (Website AND layouts)

If you wish to improve the number of comments, perhaps putting the comment/query form at the bottom of Each page might help.

There's nowt so stange as fowk, and if they have to navigate away from the page that they are looking at, they won't bother.

Best of luck with it.

Regards

Ian

Your website looks good, but please dont be disheartened if you dont receive feedback/comments.  

My groups website has had over 34000 views (and the majority are repeat viewers) in 3 years, but very little comments

Thank you  40-something and all of you that replied. I would also thank Houseman for his encouragement.

The reason I was looking for feedback was that I am getting close to capacity on the free wordpress website, so I need to consider an upgrade that will have a monthly cost. I have no problem with this cost, but just needed some reassurance that this move is worth doing, I guess. I have only put about 30% of potential material on so far! I only consider myself an average modeller, sadly I never made it to Model Engineering, but I do think that I have been one of the most prolific. 

Thanks again

Kelvin B

Guest 40-something

Thank you  40-something and all of you that replied. I would also thank Houseman for his encouragement.

The reason I was looking for feedback was that I am getting close to capacity on the free wordpress website, so I need to consider an upgrade that will have a monthly cost. I have no problem with this cost, but just needed some reassurance that this move is worth doing, I guess. I have only put about 30% of potential material on so far! I only consider myself an average modeller, sadly I never made it to Model Engineering, but I do think that I have been one of the most prolific. 

Thanks again

Kelvin B

We use Weebly to host our website which is free and appears have a lot of free capacity, we use it as a tool to provide info to exhibition managers, its quite successful and we've received quite a few invites on the back of it.  Have to pay for our domain name but at 17 quid a year its peanuts.  We also have quite a lot of folk approach us at exhibitions that have seen our layouts on the website.

I must say your modelling skills are very good!!!

We use Weebly to host our website which is free and appears have a lot of free capacity, we use it as a tool to provide info to exhibition managers, its quite successful and we've received quite a few invites on the back of it.  Have to pay for our domain name but at 17 quid a year its peanuts.  We also have quite a lot of folk approach us at exhibitions that have seen our layouts on the website.

I must say your modelling skills are very good!!!

Hi 40-something

Thanks for you advice - I will get my son to look at this as an option, he's the computer man. I looked at your site - very impressed with the site and the great modelling - best wishes to your group.

Thanks again

Kelvin B

Hi Kelvin,

This is the first time that I have come across your website, and I have to say that I am very impressed. (Website AND layouts)

If you wish to improve the number of comments, perhaps putting the comment/query form at the bottom of Each page might help.

There's nowt so stange as fowk, and if they have to navigate away from the page that they are looking at, they won't bother.

Best of luck with it.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for you kind words and suggestion - when we upgrade the site is certainly worth a thought. 

Regards

Kelvin B

Some very nice modelling and a great site. Very inspiring well done.

Thank you tamperman36 much appreciated.

Have today added some weathering projects using 'dry brushing' and 'Designers Gouache' . Also I have now made over 50 posts - more than 100  to follow - watch this space

Regards

Kelvin B  

Another 14 posts added this week - now 64 on site with lots to follow.

In this batch some 'dirty' cement tanks, the first of many 'coal' rakes and some local 60's pick up freight.. 

check out my way to model coal on the coal rake!!!!!

https://kelvinsrailways.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Edited by Kelvin B

I decided to leave wagon posts for a while and post some of my Loco detailing attempts.

I have added four posts today relevant to the early 2000's and specifically a Freightliner Fueling Point and Small Depot. 

All Loco's are detailed Lima

Now up to 70 posts!

Thanks

Kelvin B

Hello Kelvin,

have just been wandering through your website, - very good I must say, in fact my son Peter and I may have seen one of your layouts, as we regularly attend  model railway exhibitions at Ely, Spalding, Dereham, March ,Norwich and occasionally Risby.

I have just recently retired from Network Rail. after 24 years on the S&T, at Cambridge for 3 years, and the rest spent at Ely.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

SIGTECH (Steve).

Hi Steve

Thanks for your comments.

I have done all of those Exhibitions over the past twenty years, so I am sure we must have met. I spend a lot of time at Ely and you probably know some of my mates that work on the station. Some like you have retired now, but Mark, Dennis and David F are still there.

Please make yourself known to me at an Exhibition and we can have a natter.

I will put my 2017 Exhibition appearances on the website soon, but a couple are still provisional.

Thanks again,

Kelvin B

Hello all

I have added another twelve posts to my website, these are all diesel based:- 

Heljan Class 47's - various era's

Lima Class 31's - various era's

Bachmann Class 37's BR Blue

Next photo session will be during this week - My sons N gauge scratch and kit built items I built for him.

Kelvin B

Edited by Kelvin B

Hello All

I have now added the first batch of N gauge stock - These are all owned by my son, I have just done the kit building, painting and weathering. We have much more to photograph including his nearly finished new layout.

I would like to thank all those who have visited my website - it is much appreciated - all comments encouraged.

Regards

Kelvin B

Edited by Kelvin B

Hi Kevin,

Bit late to the thread but couple of comments and observations. If you are going to upgrade the wordpress account then you have to take it that it will probably take quite some time if your purpose is monetisation even with affiliate links etc but as it is relatively small amount of money it is a opportunity to see if it generates some more traffic. But you may have already upgraded :)

I see the link in you sig has an extra o and not an r

Hope thats helpful.

Tom.

Hi Kevin,

Bit late to the thread but couple of comments and observations. If you are going to upgrade the wordpress account then you have to take it that it will probably take quite some time if your purpose is monetisation even with affiliate links etc but as it is relatively small amount of money it is a opportunity to see if it generates some more traffic. But you may have already upgraded :)

I see the link in you sig has an extra o and not an r

Hope thats helpful.

Tom.

Hi Tom

Thanks for you comments - I have not upgraded yet. I am up to about 70% of my free allocation, so if I continue with the site an upgrade will have to happen. I am happy with the results so far with some good comments and several likes. It is proving difficult to condense 35 years of modelling into words and pictures without going over common ground that has been covered many times.  

I have now corrected the site signature - thanks for pointing it out - much appreciated - put it down to old age. 

Regards

Kelvin B

• Like 1