Trethosa

Introducing my OO fine-scale micro-layout project “Trethosa”.

Trethosa is my interpretation of what might have been if things had turned out differently. In reality Trethosa siding was located to the south of the main Drinnick Mill branch, diverging near the present-day Kernick sidings. There is a 1930s photograph (plate 53) in Maurice Dart’s book “West Cornwall Mineral Railways”. It closed in 1948 due to expansion of Trethosa clay pit; but what if the geology had been different and the pit had expanded in a different direction, away from the railway? Similarly to Kernick and Treviscoe the sidings at Trethosa would most likely have been modernised during following years, and with expansion of the pit may have come increased output and the need for more loading sidings.

My track layout is very similar to the east end of Treviscoe, with the addition of an extra connection between the sidings to allow increased operational flexibility. Like Treviscoe, and the majority of modern clay railheads, the sidings are all set in concrete, apart from the main running line. In my fictitious world, at the northern end of the complex is East Kernick siding, moving southward Trethosa is passed before reaching the terminus of this small branch line at Trethosa Wharf, which was a small public goods station similar to Nanpean Wharf. The current model depicts the area between East Kernick and Trethosa, with the option that an additional apa module containing Trethosa Wharf may be added as a future project.

Apart from china clay, traffic on the branch includes household coal, calcified seaweed and the occasional cement delivery. Clay is loaded in bulk powder and bagged powder forms at Trethosa and East Kernick, with the occasional load of slurry transferred from lorries to rail wagons at Trethosa Wharf. The intention is that the model can be set in any period from the 1970s to present day, although I think I will focus on the late 80s and early 90s.

I started the model at the end of March this year, with construction of a mini baseboard that sits inside the apa box. At the moment I am only working on the scenic section of the layout, the fiddle yards will come later; I didn’t want to be distracted by running trains while there is work to be done! The track within the apa box is complete and the sidings have been set in “concrete” (actually fine-grade filler). Plain track is C&L flexi-track, the point on the main branch is a C&L kit and the points under the concrete are modified Peco code 75 electro-frog, all but one of which I had already. The code 75 switch rails have had their tie bars removed and copper-clad sleeper tie bars installed, to allow the switch rails to be spaced in a more fine-scale way. The layout is wired with DCC in mind, and I have recently purchased a NCE Power Cab controller.

Scenic work has so far been confined to the front area of the model, with spoil tip, settling pits and culverted stream currently taking shape. I have also begun to weather the main branch line. However, there is a lot left to do, not least the construction of the Trethosa and East Kernick loading sheds, pipe bridges, pedestrian bridges, pipelines, conveyors, etc, etc.

I’ve attached some snaps taken with my phone and a basic plan. All stock will be detailed and weathered in due course, after the bulk of the layout work has been completed.

Cheers,

Kevin.

post-29524-0-66311100-1467458491_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-93080700-1467458540_thumb.jpg

In the foreground left to right a spoil tip, settling pits (one full, the other empty) and a culvert take shape. In the space to the extreme right of the culvert will be a building, design yet to be decided.

post-29524-0-24741000-1467458964_thumb.jpg

37175, an old Lima model fitted with dyna-drive, propels a calcified seaweed wagon towards Trethosa Wharf.

post-29524-0-17004600-1467458983_thumb.jpg

37672 is on Trethosa siding, the polybulk sits in the East Kernick headshunt.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin,

Nice to see you starting a layout thread.

I must say the eye level photos are very reminiscent of John Vaughan photos and start to set the scene nicely. The foreground looks interesting as well with some nice features.

I photographed in the clay area in the 90's and remember the sight and sound of the St.Blazey Class 37's. Great times! (37674 being my favourite) Revisiting a few years ago was a different story but the atmosphere is still there even with one Class 66 in Cornwall. There's some images in my photo thread if interested.

Look forwards to further updates.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

Hi Kevin,

Nice to see you starting a layout thread.

I must say the eye level photos are very reminiscent of John Vaughan photos and start to set the scene nicely. The foreground looks interesting as well with some nice features.

I photographed in the clay area in the 90's and remember the sight and sound of the St.Blazey Class 37's. Great times! (37674 being my favourite) Revisiting a few years ago was a different story but the atmosphere is still there even with one Class 66 in Cornwall. There's some images in my photo thread if interested.

Look forwards to further updates.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind comments. I agree that low viewing angles work well when photographing model railways; which is one of the reasons I made the foreground lower than the rest of the layout. When I've completed a bit more I'll take some with my DSLR and better lighting; I may even try focus stacking.

Yes, it's a shame the way rail freight in Cornwall has declined. But I suppose we should be grateful that in 2016 the clay trains are still running at all, and that the Drinnick Mill branch has stayed open despite the drop off in traffic.

Thanks for letting me know about your photos, I'll take a look.

My last trip to Cornwall was 2013, so I am well overdue a visit.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Edited by 37672
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin,

This already looks fab :good:

Love the scale and scope of it and agree with Mark (who tipped me off about the thread ;)) that the front edge detail gives some nice depth to the foreground.

Big fan of 37175 too and I like the way you can swap time periods - should look equally fab with tigers, hoods and bullets!

Staying tuned for more...

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Kevin,

This looks really good, I'm intrigued by 37 175, it certainly looks the part in LL Blue, and especially if it is of Lima origins it certainly looks very smart when contrasted with the Transrail TT Grey example which looks to be of more modern parentage, I too like the option to change era; the contrast of modern air braked stock with ClayHoods and LL Blue with Sector grey (up to privatisation) looks appealing to me personally.

The layout sounds like an intriguing project and I'm looking forward to seeing this develop in such a small space

The sight lines certainly do favour the photography and I look forward to seeing this develop.

Best wishes, Paragon (Jon)

Hi Kevin,

This already looks fab :good:

Love the scale and scope of it and agree with Mark (who tipped me off about the thread ;)) that the front edge detail gives some nice depth to the foreground.

Big fan of 37175 too and I like the way you can swap time periods - should look equally fab with tigers, hoods and bullets!

Staying tuned for more...

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your comments.

The many different types of wagons, especially during the 80s and early 90s, is one of the things that I like about the clay traffic. I have quite a bit of stock in storage at the moment, some scratch built, some RTR that needs detailing and/or weathering (like the TSL polybulk), so there will be plenty of variety.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 3

Hi Kevin,

This looks really good, I'm intrigued by 37 175, it certainly looks the part in LL Blue, and especially if it is of Lima origins it certainly looks very smart when contrasted with the Transrail TT Grey example which looks to be of more modern parentage, I too like the option to change era; the contrast of modern air braked stock with ClayHoods and LL Blue with Sector grey (up to privatisation) looks appealing to me personally.

The layout sounds like an intriguing project and I'm looking forward to seeing this develop in such a small space

The sight lines certainly do favour the photography and I look forward to seeing this develop.

Best wishes, Paragon (Jon)

Thank you Jon.

The Transrail 37 (672) is straight out of the box. Eventually it will be reliveried, probably railfreight red stripe, and detailed, etc.

Best wishes,

Kevin.

Evening.

Just a quick update showing a little bit of progress over the weekend.

post-29524-0-45190700-1467659269_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-15325800-1467660140_thumb.jpg

There has been some progress on one of the settling pits, and I've started work on the bulk clay loading wharves at Trethosa and East Kernick sidings. Today a Cargo Waggon turned up for clearance tests and loading trials ;)

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 4

Evening.

Just a quick update showing a little bit of progress over the weekend.

attachicon.gifIMG_3495.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3491.jpg

There has been some progress on one of the settling pits, and I've started work on the bulk clay loading wharves at Trethosa and East Kernick sidings. Today a Cargo Waggon turned up for clearance tests and loading trials ;)

Cheers,

Kevin.

nice layout, keep up the good work! Just out of interest, what cargowaggon is that?

• Like 1

nice layout, keep up the good work! Just out of interest, what cargowaggon is that?

Thanks, I'll try! It's an Electrotren model. It was a good few years ago, but I seem to remember it was a limited edition, possibly from Kittle Hobby.

This looks superb already.

Thank you :) There's a long way to go yet though.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello,

After an extended break I have at last been making some progress with the layout.

I've been meaning to post an update for a while and this morning the first two of my Kernow clay tigers arrived so thought I'd post some pictures...

Cheers,

Kevin.

post-29524-0-17283400-1498819181_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-26293700-1498819182_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-24975900-1498819183_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-41714400-1498819184_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-93239400-1498819193_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi 37672,

Just found this, looks like a nice little layout. Any further updates?

As owner of another small china clay based layout it's nice to see another different approach.

Cheers

Wayne

Thanks Wayne.

Hopefully I will be posting regular updates from now.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 2

Evening,

A little progress with the Threthosa siding clay store...

post-29524-0-64583500-1499289999_thumb.jpg

This is very loosely based on Treviscoe siding. I need to add details and do some painting before I can do any more of the roof.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 5

Hello,

The frame for East Kernick store is taking shape. The tower to the left of the main building will eventually support two conveyors. I've also been experimenting with ways to represent weathered concret - I think there is still some work to do on that to get the right look.

Cheers,

Kevin.

post-29524-0-67699300-1499881317_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-58464600-1499881334_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Coming on nicely, good to see another way of doing China Clay in a small space.

Cheers Wayne. How is your S-kits tiger coming on? I've bought some Kernow tigers but I also have a couple of kits waiting to be done sometime.

Regards,

Kevin.

Cheers Wayne. How is your S-kits tiger coming on? I've bought some Kernow tigers but I also have a couple of kits waiting to be done sometime.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

It's coming along thanks. Like most modellers I tend to have a few projects on the go so have been working on some other things including a new project which I'm hoping will open up some opportunities but I'm not saying anymore for now.

Keep up the good work.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few shots showing slow progress on the layout.

A view inside East Kernick linhay, checking how much headroom is needed for the loader...

post-29524-0-60577900-1500928724_thumb.jpg

The perfect home for the loader when not in use...

post-29524-0-25647000-1500928752_thumb.jpg

Progress on the conveyor that links across to a clay mill, the corner of which will form part of the scenic break at this end. The walls just placed here for now until an elevated walkway is built alongside the conveyor.

post-29524-0-61713100-1500928762_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've had a bit of a break from modelling recently while I finished a DIY project. Not much to report apart from the wiring for the lights that will be inside the loading areas and along walkways, etc. I've installed a power supply that will take DC or AC inputs and give 12 V DC output, perfect for the micro LEDs that I have ready to install. A couple of snaps below. The wiring on the layout side will be hidden inside the buildings or the covered conveyors that will eventually link them. I don't enjoy wiring so it's good to get this part done and out of the way.

Cheers,

Kevin.

post-29524-0-74325500-1502573081_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-43552700-1502573088_thumb.jpg

• Like 4