Trethosa

Thanks for that Kevin, that's some fine work. Looking forward to seeing more.

Steve.

Totally inspired by this, more please!

Ian B

Thanks Ian and Steve. Hopefully the next update will be after some painting, fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a quick update.

As promised some paint has been applied...

The bufferbeams and underframe equipment were the first parts to be painted, first with primer and then with black followed by matt varnish.

post-29524-0-77198500-1519333766.jpg

post-29524-0-07857500-1519333785.jpg

post-29524-0-44222600-1519333803.jpg

post-29524-0-75333700-1519333825.jpg

Then the body. The primer, warning yellow and roof grey have been completed.

post-29524-0-85629200-1519333864_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-43616400-1519333879_thumb.jpg

Another coat of yellow was applied after this photo was taken. There's maskol on the cab door handrails, which is why they look rough.

post-29524-0-43122900-1519333894.jpg

Next the rail blue will be applied, and then gloss varnish to the areas where the transfers will sit.

I'm using acrylics from Railmatch, and so far they have gone on very well. Still a way to go, so I'm not relaxing just yet! Especially with only two weekends to go before the Basingstoke show, when this loco should be running on Portland.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 4

Hi Kevin,

looks good so far. It's making me want to do similar to my 50 for Trevanna Dries.

How do you find the acrylics? I've not used them yet but I'm tempted to give them a try.

cheers

Hi Wayne,

Thanks, glad you like it.

I'm quite new to airbrushing so don't have a much experience with many paints. I like the acrylics for a couple of reasons: they dry very quickly, so there's less chance of getting bits of dust stuck to the new paint; they are so much nicer than enamels when it comes to cleaning up afterwards, and generally whilst using them. Having said that because they dry so quickly you can end up with dry paint build up on the tip of the needle. However, it's easily removed, and then you can carry on spraying, so not really a problem. I found the primer suffered from this more than the colours. It remains to be seen how resilient the finish is, but assuming it's OK I don't think I will go back to using enamels if the colours I need are available in acrylic.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Informative/Useful 1

Looking very nice so far, will be quite something once it is finished. 

Very impressed with the look of your infilled track as well.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting the 50 finished. It's been about 6 months in the making, which coincidentally was about the time taken by Doncaster to refurbish a 50.

The inset track needs a lot doing to it yet, and I can get back to progressing the layout when the 50's done.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Very impressed, I have recently purchased a class 50 and thought the Hornby model was ok (rad grilles accepted), clearly not! I will digest properly later but you have inspired me to do some work on it. Look forward to seeing the layout build continue.

Very impressed, I have recently purchased a class 50 and thought the Hornby model was ok (rad grilles accepted), clearly not! I will digest properly later but you have inspired me to do some work on it. Look forward to seeing the layout build continue.

Hi Rob, thanks, there are quite a few areas on the original model that can be improved. I haven't done everything but I will try and list the mods I have made at the end of the project.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Really looking forward to seeing number 39 as the finished article.

looking absolutely fantastic so far.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu.

I'm making good progress, and will post an update soon.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin

Very impressed with what you’ve done with the 50, especially around the cab area. Redoing the cantrail combined with the reprofile of the nose has made a huge difference to the appearance to the loco and rectified the biggest issue with the Hornby model (IMHO)

From the photos it looks as though you have done some filling and filing before putting the windscreen etches and cantrail on. Can you provide more detail and pics about this?

Many thanks

Ajax

Hi Kevin

Very impressed with what you’ve done with the 50, especially around the cab area. Redoing the cantrail combined with the reprofile of the nose has made a huge difference to the appearance to the loco and rectified the biggest issue with the Hornby model (IMHO)

From the photos it looks as though you have done some filling and filing before putting the windscreen etches and cantrail on. Can you provide more detail and pics about this?

Many thanks

Ajax

Hi Ajax, thanks for your kind comments. Hopefully the pictures below will give some idea of what I have done around the cab windows.

First I removed the gutter from above the front and side windows. when you do this a step is left above the windows at the bottom edge of the roof. I removed this. I then fixed the etched window frames temporarily with PVA so that I could work out where the new gutter would need to go, and also how much the top of the nose needed to be raised.

post-29524-0-02459800-1520115232_thumb.jpg

The new gutter was made from 0.3 mm square plastic strip. Two pieces, one for each side of the loco and meeting at the apex between the front windows. It is a good idea to refer to the particular loco you are modelling at this point because the way the gutter runs around the front of the loco varies between class members and also between different ends/sides of the same loco! I don't know but I suspect this is because the guttering is sometimes replaced during works visits, and never quite goes on the same way each time. For 039 all but one of the corners exhibit a downward slope towards the front of the loco, and I have recreated this on the model.

These pictures illustrate what I mean, you have to look carefully, it's quite subtle:

No.1 end A side, the gutter slopes down relative to the top edge of the side window - https://www.flickr.com/photos/131083590@N05/16553903024/in/faves-124903335@N08/

No.2 end B side, the gutter runs almost parallel to the top edge of the window and then dips above the left hand end of the front window - https://www.flickr.com/photos/131083590@N05/17130067876/in/faves-124903335@N08/

The nose needed to be raised 0.5 mm in the centre.

At this stage I could also see where the front windows needed to be opened out.

post-29524-0-38279900-1520115255.jpg

The frames were removed before raising the nose.

post-29524-0-73222200-1520115269_thumb.jpg

With the nose reprofiled I then used 0.13 mm thick plasticard to represent the body panels that hold the front windows. In reality these are slightly sunken relative to the corners, but that would have meant some quite major surgery. At least this way the panel lines at the outside edges of the front windows are represented.

I also added more 0.3 mm square strip to the gutter above the front windows, to make it deeper and protrude further forwards. These peices were shapped to give a slight curve around the front of the cab (looking from above) and blend into the rest of the gutter at the corners of the cab. A small amount of filler was then applied above the new deeper guttering, from the corners to under the headcode box, to blend it in with the roof profile. This gives the effect seen here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jjm2009/37256767970/in/faves-124903335@N08/ - note the windows are flat but the guttering curves slightly. The gutter overhang is greatest at the centre of each front window - again it's subtle.

post-29524-0-79442200-1520115283_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if anything (or everything!) isn't clear - it's difficult to explain some of this!

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A quick update on progress...

Livery, gloss and then transfers applied. Currently the loco is wearing a coat of matt varnish before weathering.

post-29524-0-87869400-1520118111_thumb.jpg

A few comments on the Fox transfers used on this model. I ordered the large logo class 50 pack, which included arrows, numbers, warning flashes and data panels. My first observation is that the double arrow logos are too big - at least for the Hornby model. On the "two grille" side it is supposed to extend from a gnat's whisker below the cantrail grille to level with the bottom edge of the right hand double grilles - the ones supplied go below this level. Consequently this means the numbers end up slightly too low, becasue the bottom edge of these should be on the same level as the bottom edge of the lower horizontal bar in the arrow logo. It's not that noticeable, but it's there and is an inacuracy that could so easily be avoided. The second observation is that whist applying the data panels I noticed that they are not actually for a class 50! Although the class is omitted from the panel, the RA is clearly 7 (a 50 has an RA of 6) and the max speed is clearly only two digits - I checked the label on the packet and it doesn't say it's for a DCWA 50! Admitedly I was using my maginifiers when applying the transfers and it's not obvious in normal use, but there really is no excuse for this in a transfer pack which is intended only for a class 50! It's also rather frustrating that the orange square multiple working symbols are not included and another pack of symbols (including those for classes that I'll never model) has to purchased separately. And there are no depot allocations included either, which perhaps is just as well - given the data panels what would they say, Inverness? One final point, the warning flashes are the wrong aspect ratio, the Fox ones beeing too tall and thin compared to the prototype. Rant over.

post-29524-0-82376600-1520118126_thumb.jpg

Note the headcode dots are not fixed in place properly yet, and the bogie at the far end is currently an unmodified spare while the one that will be fitted is rebuilt (in progress). Also maskol still on the cabside handrails - which is why they look lumpy and yellow!

post-29524-0-92661400-1520118142_thumb.jpg

One feature I am quite pleased with is the horns - the etched covers show the horns off very well, so I'm glad I went to the trouble of making them.

If anyone has read the earlier parts of this thread I said I was going to finish the loco in the condition it was in when photographed at OC in 1988. I have since changed my mind, and instead I have applied the Doncaster version of large logo as outshopped from 039's intermediate overhaul during May 1985, rather than the Laira version applied in 1988. The main difference being the thin yellow line above the front cab windows on the former. It also means the loco will not carry a orange cantrail stripe.

There is still quite a bit left to do, not least painting the bogies. Also all of the electrics need fitting, and testing. There are some things which I have decided to leave until after Basingstoke. For example the chains that connect the handbrake levers to the brakes will be left off for now - for one good reason - attaching them will make getting the body on and off a real pain, so until the loco is run in and any teething problems sorted it makes sense to omit these. Also the chains that hang from the buffer beam and secure the brake pipes will be left to a later date - these will be really fiddly and I don't want to rush them. I think the last thing I will do is fit the lights - if I run out of time on these then it's no big deal.

One question I have yet to resolve is how much to weather the loco. I think initially (i.e. next weekend!) it will be in ex-works condition with weathering consistent with running the Doncaster test train, 1Vxx from York to Bristol and then, following inspection at Bath Road, a summer extra from Bristol to Portland. So a bit of exhaust staining and very light brake dust on the bogies. Eventually though I think I'll aim for the condition seen here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/martynhilbert/30189644092/in/faves-124903335@N08/ - about a year on from overhaul. I like the contrast of the relatively clean bodyside with the heavily workstained roof. Also the loco had gained yellow axlebox covers, which I think always looks nice on these locos. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Kevin.

PS link to Portland, appearing next weekend at Basingstoke, with 50039 (hopefully running on the Saturday) http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108407-portland-a-what-might-have-been-nse-layout-in-dorset-preparing-for-basingstoke/

Edited by 37672
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Love the finish of the paint, inspired me to dig out my part finished detailing job (all be to a much lower standard in that I’ve just sorted the body side grills and added a Extreme Etchings roof grill.). Just need he weather to warm up a tad...

Over recent weeks there has been a few posts complaining that ‘modern image’ layouts are just out of the box RTR. It’s great to see these models being taken to a completely different level.

Are you planning to go to the same level of detail on other locos?

Fascinating and inspirational stuff Kevin

Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos and write up. Totally agree with the horn grill comment - changing those to the tech version makes a huge difference to a loco. 37’s, 40’s as well has 50’s benefit form this mod.

Even painting the 50’s marker lights white and running a fine black marker around the lip of lights to represent the black rubber makes a big difference.

I like your decision to go for the earlier paint job that has yellow strip above the windows!

Many thanks

Ajax

Love the finish of the paint, inspired me to dig out my part finished detailing job (all be to a much lower standard in that I’ve just sorted the body side grills and added a Extreme Etchings roof grill.). Just need he weather to warm up a tad...

Over recent weeks there has been a few posts complaining that ‘modern image’ layouts are just out of the box RTR. It’s great to see these models being taken to a completely different level.

Are you planning to go to the same level of detail on other locos?

Thanks, the painting went quite well considering this is the first full respray I have ever done - it certainly could have been a lot worse! Yes, the plan is to have a small but detailed fleet of locos for Trethosa and another micro layout I have in mind (where the 50 will be more at home but which won't be started until Trethosa is finished). The next loco will be 37672 in Railfreight red stripe. I already have the loco and most of the detailing parts - ordered at the same time as those for the 50 to save on postage :)