Trethosa

Excellent stuff!! It's looking like a proper 50 :)

I think you'll enjoy the weathering it though!! My favourite stage although for me it does mean that I glazing to follow which nearly finished me off when i did my 50s. Just a thought are you planning on making any changes to the lighting circuits?

cheers

Will

Well yes, the painting could have been worse!

The real point is that it could hardly have been any better!

Five star modelling chap, love it.

I cannot believe that’s a first full respray,

I look forward to seeing what you achieve on the 37.

Thanks chaps :)

Excellent stuff!! It's looking like a proper 50 :)

I think you'll enjoy the weathering it though!! My favourite stage although for me it does mean that I glazing to follow which nearly finished me off when i did my 50s. Just a thought are you planning on making any changes to the lighting circuits?

cheers

Will

Thanks will.

Yes, I have a function-only decoder that will allow completely independent control of the headlight, marker lights, tail lights and cab lights, independant of the direction of travel too. Not sure if I will have time to set this up before Saturday though.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Evening,

I've just about recovered from the final push to get the 50 presentable for the Basingstoke show, and helping to operate the layout, which was very enjoyable but tiring.

I decided to leave a few things until after the show, including the windscreen wipers, hand brake chains, cab interiors and the lights. The main decoder and speakers were installed and operational. One of the reasons I couldn't fit the lights is there wasn't enough room - I'll need to do away with the Hornby circuit board, which won't really be doing anything in any case, so that I can fit the function decoder.

A few pics of the final stages leading up to Saturday and a couple taken on Portland.

One of the last major jobs was to finish the second bogie rebuild and fit the brake pipes to both bogies.

post-29524-0-37214000-1520876994_thumb.jpg

After spraying and fitting the bogies to the chassis dc tests were carried out before fitting the decoder. The last jobs were spraying and fitting the fan and fan grille, minor weathering around the exhausts and finally, at 21.30 on Friday, the 'Implacable' nameplates were fitted.

post-29524-0-63789300-1520877005_thumb.jpg

I arrived at the show at about 08.30 to help set up and carry out some test runs. Unfortunately it was clear that there were certain bits of track on Portland (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108407-portland-a-what-might-have-been-nse-layout-in-dorset-preparing-for-basingstoke/page-7) that didn't like the 50, or vice versa, so the decision was taken to keep the loco on the depot. It did move a few times during the day around the depot area but didn't venture on to the main line.

post-29524-0-88078600-1520877065_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-97907100-1520877078_thumb.jpg

(Apologies about the wonky buffer, must have got knocked)

As it was parked very close to the front of the layout this did at least mean that it was more visible to visitors.

I think I'll have a few days off now before starting on the lights and cab interiors.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Edited by 37672
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I opened this topic up on page 4 having not seen it before and when I saw your 50 I thought it was O Gauge with the amount of detail, so to learn its 4mm I am in awe, inspirational stuff thanks for sharing.

Hi Kevin,

Just discovered this thread and your excellent work so far - the Class 50 is superb well done!

Really looking forward to seeing your developments in future.

Cheers, Chris

I opened this topic up on page 4 having not seen it before and when I saw your 50 I thought it was O Gauge with the amount of detail, so to learn its 4mm I am in awe, inspirational stuff thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys, your comments are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kevin,

How are things going down at Trethosa? Nice to see 50039 complete, I'm looking forward to seeing how 37672 goes as I'm doing the same loco but in Railfreight red stripe livery.

It made sense to model this loco as I already had the plates from the Kernow model and I was planning on starting on it over this weekend but I've had to get the kitchen back in order following a big leak we had, so instead of relaxing and modelling I'm on my hands and knees laying a new floor!

Will look out for an update with how you get on.

Cheers,

Wayne

(fellow china clay works owner)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

How are things going down at Trethosa? Nice to see 50039 complete, I'm looking forward to seeing how 37672 goes as I'm doing the same loco but in Railfreight red stripe livery.

It made sense to model this loco as I already had the plates from the Kernow model and I was planning on starting on it over this weekend but I've had to get the kitchen back in order following a big leak we had, so instead of relaxing and modelling I'm on my hands and knees laying a new floor!

Will look out for an update with how you get on.

Cheers,

Wayne

(fellow china clay works owner)

Hi Wayne,

Things have been very slow recently, well stationary actually, as I've been suffering from a back problem which started Easter weekend and is still not quite right. It meant I couldn't sit for long, so modelling had to go on hold for a bit. I hope I can get back to it soon.

The intention is for my 37672 to be in red stripe as well, but I want to get on with layout some more before starting that, so I expect your's will be finished first! I look forward to seeing it.

Hope the kitchen floor went well!

Cheers,

Kevin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 20/03/2019 at 02:33, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Kevin,

It's been quite a while, how is Trethosa going?

Things on Trevanna have been a bit quiet but I'm planning a small extension.

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Nothing has happened for a while due to family commitments, but I hope to get back to it soon.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• 4 months later...
On 01/10/2019 at 09:13, 37672 said:

Hi Wayne,

Nothing has happened for a while due to family commitments, but I hope to get back to it soon.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

I was drawn to back to this thread after going through some old magazines to file useful articles away and came across something familiar...

Did you have an article in Model Rail? The model of 37175 looked familiar.

Cheers

Wayne

• 11 months later...
On 11/02/2020 at 00:51, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Kevin,

I was drawn to back to this thread after going through some old magazines to file useful articles away and came across something familiar...

Did you have an article in Model Rail? The model of 37175 looked familiar.

Cheers

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Apologies for the slow reply, almost a year!

Yes, I contibuted to a MR article on modelling china clay operations. It featured 37175 (now looking very dated) and some of the wagons that I have built. I also had two further articles in MR, one on silver bullets (way before the RTR model) and the other on a Ferrywagon and the TRL Railiner, which were rebuilds of the Roco and Hornby models respectively.

Still no progress on Trethosa. Unfortunately my current house is just not big enough to have a home office and a modelling workshop - and the office had to take priority. I am working on a solution but it will take a while longer.

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2020 at 07:43, Southwich said:

Just found this thread, wow that 50 is stunning! Looking forward to some more progress.

Will

Hi Will,

Thank you for your kind comment, and apologies for my slow response.

Unfortnunately I have not been able to do any modelling for a while now. I hope to get back to it in the next year or so.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

That's okay, to be honest I forgot that I'd posted in here again.

It's funny you mention the MR articles as I was looking through them last week. I'm looking to do a Railiner van myself, so it's nice to chat to the person who did the article.

I know what you mean about modelling, I did a lot in the first lockdown but work on the big railway took over for a while as they keep changing our shifts.

Speedlinkand engineers stock has taken priority recently but I need to get on with some clay stuff as I need my West country fix. :mocking_mini:

Cheers,

Wayne

On 17/01/2021 at 15:08, 37672 said:

Hi Will,

Thank you for your kind comment, and apologies for my slow response.

Unfortnunately I have not been able to do any modelling for a while now. I hope to get back to it in the next year or so.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

No worries at all - thanks for the response. I’m looking forward to some more progress having fitted a 37 with Penbits bogies I can appreciate just how good the work on your 50 is!

Looking forward to more.

Will

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2021 at 16:39, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Kevin,

That's okay, to be honest I forgot that I'd posted in here again.

It's funny you mention the MR articles as I was looking through them last week. I'm looking to do a Railiner van myself, so it's nice to chat to the person who did the article.

I know what you mean about modelling, I did a lot in the first lockdown but work on the big railway took over for a while as they keep changing our shifts.

Speedlinkand engineers stock has taken priority recently but I need to get on with some clay stuff as I need my West country fix. :mocking_mini:

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I enjoyed doing the Railiner. I think it might of been becasue I knew I'd only have to make one of them! I'm not a big fan of repetitive work. I've attached an old pic of mine. Still needs weathering properly.

Hope you get some more time for modelling soon.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 18/01/2021 at 16:12, Southwich said:

Hi Kevin,

No worries at all - thanks for the response. I’m looking forward to some more progress having fitted a 37 with Penbits bogies I can appreciate just how good the work on your 50 is!

Looking forward to more.

Will

Hi Will,

Thank you. I really enjoyed making the Penbits detailing kits, and they do look good. I wish Penbits did the sprung bogies for the 50, and in OO.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 37672 said:

Hi Will,

Thank you. I really enjoyed making the Penbits detailing kits, and they do look good. I wish Penbits did the sprung bogies for the 50, and in OO.

Cheers,

Kevin.

I imagine that could be very dangerous for me if they did!

I have say there is some superb modelling in this thread - really enjoyed reading it again. Did you have any source photos for the 50 underframe details? I'm tempted to have a go at filling in the gaps on mine but have but finding out what goes on underneath is quite tricky

cheers

Will