New Crowdfunded Class 86 or Class 87

DJM Dave

OO Class 86 or 87 Crowdfunded  

280 members have voted

1. 1. OO gauge Class 86 or 87 crowdfunded. You decide!

• Would you like a crowdfunded 86?
    • Would you like a crowdfunded 87?

Hi Everyone,

Time has now come to my thoughts regarding another OO gauge locomotive, that if wanted will be Crowdfunded, much in the way that the class 71 was.

However i need your votes to decide whether you want a new and accurate model of either the Class 86 or Class 87.

Now, because of the amounts of slides etc needed for this loco for all the alternate front ends used on the UK Network up to the present day on the 86, the crowdfunded price will be a fair bit more.....add to this alternate bogies for as built and alternate roof parts for fire suppression, etc, this model will be more expensive than is usual.

But, to sweeten the pot slightly i will put in all the expected bells and whistles, including, if you really want one, a metal pantograph (in the various styles, and i'm thinking motorised raising and lowering under DCC control too unless you all think its too much of a novelty?

The model will feature in a few main liveries as the crowdfunded version including I/C, Virgin, Freightliner, Blue (as built), Blue as revised.

The 87 by comparison will be cheaper but could include the motorised pantograph. See here for an example.....

Please vote in the poll, and this proposed model (and cad/cam) will have full input on here or by PM from the membership.

With the advent of the Peco catenary and the Bachmann 90, i feel there is a market for a state of the art 86 or 87 much in the way that i did when i designed the Class 52 western when one was already available.

Anyway, i'm leaving this to you. if enough think its viable in the vote, then i will go with that.

Please tell you friends, get them to vote too, and before long you could be having a state of the art 86 or 87 on your layouts

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-54168400-1467461843_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-66205500-1467461853_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-28159000-1467461858_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-50143200-1467461863_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-76984600-1467461868_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-41278700-1467461873_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-59131400-1467461878_thumb.jpg

Hurray,

I actually wanted both, but voted for the 87, as there is no model to a modern standard, and on affordability.

Please include the early blue livery in your selection.

Oh Dave, I've just had to change my underwear.

I'd take either but....I have a sneaking suspicion that Bachmann might be going for the 87 after the 90, and we do not have any decent models of the Class 86 in current production, plus with over 100 of the things built, it has potentially a longer shelf life, so I plumped for an 86 even though it'll probably bankrupt me buying multiple versions.

Vote both.

I haven't bought the Heljan 86 as it is not a great model to my eye.

However what i really what to know is will you resign if the vote doesn't go your way and will the losing side demand a re vote if they don't get the result they want?

Dave be careful you may cause a split in the DEMU community and lets face it people called "Dave" don't have a great track record of (no matter how well intended) if giving the people what they want......:)

B

Vote both.

I haven't bought the Heljan 86 as it is not a great model to my eye.

However what i really what to know is will you resign if the vote doesn't go your way and will the losing side demand a re vote if they don't get the result they want?

Dave be careful you may cause a split in the DEMU community and lets face it people called "Dave" don't have a great track record of (no matter how well intended) if giving the people what they want......:)

B

Hi mate,

A remote and cabinet reshuffle would be on the cards.

No idea why DEMU could split mind you, but I know of some that for some reason, bear animosity.....but let's face it, they don't have to indulge in this if they don't like me, not everyone does. Lol

But I've yet to see them grow a pair and do it themselves.

Cheers

Dave

Cue the Hornby/ Bachmann announcement!

Would like both but can't decide. I think I should vote 86 as duplication by another is less likely thanks to the Heljan version but I really want an 87.

Can't we have a both button or which one first vote.

What about the 89?

Cheers

Mark

Ps am going for the 86 (for now)!

Oh Dave, I've just had to change my underwear.

I'd take either but....I have a sneaking suspicion that Bachmann might be going for the 87 after the 90, and we do not have any decent models of the Class 86 in current production, plus with over 100 of the things built, it has potentially a longer shelf life, so I plumped for an 86 even though it'll probably bankrupt me buying multiple versions.

Good point about Bachmann. The problems causing delays are being addressed and we might find things speeding up too.

I'd like both, but I'd prefer DJM getting most models out first then going in for more (I'm aware a crowd funding route will work faster)...Sorry though, there's no way my dad is going to be convinced with pledging money. Best of luck with your venture 

Will try my best though. So I will vote for both.

Cheers!

Got to be class 86 101 first choice but 86/2 & 86/0 needed to in BR BLUE !There were a couple of special livery,s too big yellow box on side cannot remember at the moment pictures at home!

Are you thinking of the rain hill specials?

They would make a nice limited multi pack I think.

Hi Dave

If you were to do a class 86 would the variations include a nice simple AL6 without all the Zebedee springs, but with white cab windies and roof, silver lion and a real number?

Yes, but probably printed number as getting them as individually applied metal digits would be problematical although I don't see a reason not to produce a sheep of etched numbers for you to stick on.

A plate with numbers would be idea but I'm not sure about the join line around the panel and the body side.

Www.traintesting.com shows some nice original 86 pics.

I'd like both, but I'd prefer DJM getting most models out first then going in for more (I'm aware a crowd funding route will work faster)...Sorry though, there's no way my dad is going to be convinced with pledging money. Best of luck with your venture 

Will try my best though. So I will vote for both.

Cheers!

I understand, but my own products are starting to appear, the original crowdfunding was successful and is about to appear and I have 2 Kernow products out plus a wealth of special editions through stockists coming with some already on a ship, So things are happening and that argument doesn't hold water I'm afraid.

Like you, finances are tight at the moment, and these are what's holding my own products back, but I've made no bones about that situation. However a rolling crowdfunded model is a different matter altogether.

Cheers

Dave

Yes I feel the Class 89 is a much better contender for a crowd funded project....

Hmmmmm 89?

Love the loco but I prefer to do a model in more than 3 liveries, as there isn't a market for me otherwise, even though it's pretty much only 1 tool with no slides.

Maybe later...........maybe

I am  not  really  into OHL  00   myself  so the  project so the proposal  does not interest me,  but I  have  an interest  in  Garden  railways,  on which we  occasionally   run Locos  with  motor  driven  pantographs,  the  usual format  for  these  is  directional  raising of the 'correct' panto. in relation to  the  direction of  travel  ( should  have  said  swiss practice ... the unoccupied cab usually  has  the  raised pantograph in use)  Some locos  also  have  the  digital  ability  to  have  both  pantos. lowered  when loco is  parked.

What  I am  getting  at  here  is  that  they  are  all very  nice,  but  after  a  while  the pantograph  raising/ lowering  , just  becomes   an accepted thing on the locos and  it  really  would not make  any difference  to  the  'enjoyability'  of  using   the locos if  the Pantos.  were manually controlled ( ie by hand!!)

I believe the  extra  cost  of  providing 'driven' pantographs  may diminish  the potential  volume  of  subscribers to the  project

But  all the  best  of  luck  anyway!

Good point about Bachmann. The problems causing delays are being addressed and we might find things speeding up too.

youd certainly expect so - its perfectly logical to think the 90 chassis would only require minor fettling to allow fitment of an 87 body. Ha.....they might do 86101, 102 and 103 instead.

with the Heljan 86 being dead in the water (great chassis shame about the top bit) id say the AL6/Class 86 is the one you want Dave.  So much scope for the construction variations, liveries, eras, 100 class members......special editions.  Who wouldn't like to see 86 235 Novelty or 86 214 Sans Pareil in that great Rainhill trials livery?   You've got stone faiveley, cross arm and brecknell willis pan designs......worlds your oyster.  Almost too many possibilities but please no Heljan-esque pylon pantographs!

Nice heavy chassis, accurate bodyshell,  independent cab lights, independent corridor lights (unlike the Bachmann 85 which come on with both cab lights) and the usual front and rear lighting plus sprung buffers, BR blue and executive liveries.....where do I sign?

Archived