New Crowdfunded Class 86 or Class 87

DJM Dave

OO Class 86 or 87 Crowdfunded  

280 members have voted

1. 1. OO gauge Class 86 or 87 crowdfunded. You decide!

• Would you like a crowdfunded 86?
    • Would you like a crowdfunded 87?

What a strange thread....

The decision not to proceed with the 86/87 due to third party commercial action is entirely understandable. However, to then suddenly announce a new model entirely, with a detailed specification and even manage to calculate a price suggests that the 92 had been in the pipeline for a lot longer than the 2 weeks indicated here. Certainly when someone has been asking "what do you think of xyz, let's have a vote" and then to decide unilaterally to offer a 92 without a similar discussion or vote would have a cynical mind being, well rather cynical.

As for keeping the thread open for altruistic reasons to help other manufacturers? Gawd, can I bag that to put over my rose bushes?

Nevertheless it should go without saying that I wish DJM well in whatever he does eventually do and if these 92 models are as high quality as previous models look then people will be quite happy I think.

What a strange thread....

The decision not to proceed with the 86/87 due to third party commercial action is entirely understandable. However, to then suddenly announce a new model entirely, with a detailed specification and even manage to calculate a price suggests that the 92 had been in the pipeline for a lot longer than the 2 weeks indicated here. Certainly when someone has been asking "what do you think of xyz, let's have a vote" and then to decide unilaterally to offer a 92 without a similar discussion or vote would have a cynical mind being, well rather cynical.

To be honest I'd describe it has having options. With my own business I don't just devote all my mental capacity to mulling over a significant investment in one piece of equipment. By the time I've got to the "shall I or shan't I stage" I've usually gone through the logistics of three or four different pieces of kit and I usually have also kicked about a couple of mental exercises on completely different ideas altogether. So the fact that DJM have apparently pulled a new idea out of the bag at short notice doesn't really surprise me. If anything it suggests a business with an idea of product progression and just because one potential new model falls by the wayside it shouldn't mean going back to an empty drawing board to think up another one. It should be pointed out that DJM are looking at an "N" gauge version of the 92 also. As far as I am aware the 86 or 87 is well served in "N", so I'd go for an intellectual guess that what DJM have done is ported the "N" gauge development across to "00"

• 2 months later...

For 2017 Hornby will be producing R3580 Class 87 87035 ‘Robert Burns’ in BR Rail Blue livery (with Cross Arm Pantograph) and R3582 Class 87 87010 ‘King Arthur’ in BR Intercity ‘Swallow’ logo livery (with High Speed Pantograph). An updated Class 86 will undoubtedly follow so this thread is now dead in the water.

£170 each though. 

post-29548-0-55009500-1480163736_thumb.jpg

For 2017 Hornby will be producing R3580 Class 87 87035 ‘Robert Burns’ in BR Rail Blue livery (with Cross Arm Pantograph) and R3582 Class 87 87010 ‘King Arthur’ in BR Intercity ‘Swallow’ logo livery (with High Speed Pantograph). An updated Class 86 will undoubtedly follow so this thread is now dead in the water.

£170 each though. 

lol, isn't this in the wrong thread?

An updated Class 86 will undoubtedly follow so this thread is now dead in the water.

£170 each though. 

Actually I think quite the opposite. Hornby is unlikely to commit to the 86 until the 87 is out and selling. So someone has 3 years to get there first. I wonder if another manufacturer was waiting to see exactly what Hornby announced before announcing their 86?

Luke

• AY Mod locked this topic

Archived