New Crowdfunded Class 86 or Class 87

DJM Dave

OO Class 86 or 87 Crowdfunded  

280 members have voted

1. 1. OO gauge Class 86 or 87 crowdfunded. You decide!

• Would you like a crowdfunded 86?
    • Would you like a crowdfunded 87?

youd certainly expect so - its perfectly logical to think the 90 chassis would only require minor fettling to allow fitment of an 87 body. Ha.....they might do 86101, 102 and 103 instead.

with the Heljan 86 being dead in the water (great chassis shame about the top bit) id say the AL6/Class 86 is the one you want Dave.  So much scope for the construction variations, liveries, eras, 100 class members......special editions.  Who wouldn't like to see 86 235 Novelty or 86 214 Sans Pareil in that great Rainhill trials livery?   You've got stone faiveley, cross arm and brecknell willis pan designs......worlds your oyster.  Almost too many possibilities but please no Heljan-esque pylon pantographs!

Nice heavy chassis, accurate bodyshell,  independent cab lights, independent corridor lights (unlike the Bachmann 85 which come on with both cab lights) and the usual front and rear lighting plus sprung buffers, BR blue and executive liveries.....where do I sign?

Totally agree with your spec. I think it's about time it was done and done right. Ala the class 52.

Here's some concerns I have...Hope they can be cleared.

1) As much as I like to and if funds permit I do want to support this crowd-funding as I want both electrics, however when it comes to both models I only fancy liveries like the Caledonian Sleeper and that's about it. I'm already short on funds for everything and Caledonian Sleeper liveries are surely not going to be around in the first batch. So if this like a one time thing or will DJM be continuously producing Class 86s/87s over the years? If so I will wait.

2) Working pantographs....ummm, yes I like that and I feel it's a feature worthy of the added cost. But there were 3 types of pantographs used crossed-armed, Stone-Faively and Brecknell-Wills. In the real world I do have a basic understanding on how the first two work (they both have supporting arms of some sort that help push the pan up). However I am totally clueless about how the Brecknell-Willis one works as I don't see another lower arm. In terms of models again the first two are easy to motorize and have already been done before. However how will the Brecknell-Willis one be done (if that's a possibility?)

3) Can things like working pantographs be made optional? Even if it's to be sold as a kit later? Many will want one and many will not. And probably having something like this optional will increase sales as you'll have both types.

Hello

I'm not sure what DEMU has done to annoy you Dave but, as a society, we don't produce models although several of our member do. I'm sure members of the society will support your endeavours just the same as others do so please don't slag us off for no reason.  Best of luck with your project. 

Cheers

George (DEMU Chairman)

• RMweb Gold

Good point about Bachmann. The problems causing delays are being addressed and we might find things speeding up too.

Are they really ? Would be interested in your crystal ball.You'll be telling us the world is flat next. Hang on a minute,though.....

I will vote for a Class 86 but I'd love a RES machine, also food for thought a Class 92 standard bodyshell multiple liveries and huge operational area.

Operational pans......no, in reality after the initial "oh look at that" how often will it be used ?

Would be nice to see class 81, 82, 83, 84 done too, to go with the Bachmann class 85, I really like the original unrefurbished class 82 with the long bodyside grilles.

I'd vote for an 81! However would prob buy an 86 or 87 out of sentimentality

I am hoping in the next few years, we will see plenty of ac overhead unit's and loco's being done, now that we have catenary by Dapol and Peco.

Would love to see class 81-84 and class 302-312 unit's and the more modern unit's, class 323 is my favourite out of all the 2nd generation unit's.

Ps I do know the class 323 is rumoured to be being worked on by one of the big manufacturers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi George,

Nothing in fact, but I seem to have upset a few members but not only of your group, which incidentally I hold in the highest regards, but of other groups.

Seems with some, all I can do is wrong, and some just want me to fall flat on my face.

It's life and I'm man enough to not cry (well not much anyway as I don't want to give Andrex all my profits. Lol) about such things. They are merely mentally stored for a rainy day.

It's life, you can't please everybody. Lol

Cheers

Dave

I wouldn't say everything you do is problematic. For instance your communication skills are coming on a treat :P

I'm not a fan of modelling the wire knitting myself but I admire the work of those who are so I hope this project is a success.

On the grounds of need? I hope no one minds my vote for an 86

Griff

While I'd be interested in an 86 as an AL6, I haven't voted as I would be unwilling to become involved again in another crowdfunding. I say this having crowdfunded the Class 71 with two models purchased from the first day it went live, however my personal view is that the project was affected by another manufacturer (Hornby) already working in secret on a Class 71 model and continuing with it as a duplication. I've come to the conclusion that crowdfunding outside of Kickstarter, can only operate effectively when it has a clear field and has a defined timeline for funding pledges. For the 86 and 87 I believe there is too great a risk that another manufacturer is working on a model or models. Hornby is a strong possibility, as they have both types in their back catalogue with rolling stock available in Mk2 and Mk3 coaches, however the greater likelihood for me is Oxford Rail, who have already announced they are producing Mk3 coaches in local hauled and HST type and have also announced carflats of the Motorail type. They have indicated that they intend to produce locos and rolling stock, so I feel they are likely to be working on locos to operate with the Mk3s rather than just introduce them for other makers machines. Both these companies only announce projects at about a year or less from production.

It's a personal view but for me too much of a risk.

While I'd be interested in an 86 as an AL6, I haven't voted as I would be unwilling to become involved again in another crowdfunding. I say this having crowdfunded the Class 71 with two models purchased from the first day it went live, however my personal view is that the project was affected by another manufacturer (Hornby) already working in secret on a Class 71 model and continuing with it as a duplication. I've come to the conclusion that crowdfunding outside of Kickstarter, can only operate effectively when it has a clear field and has a defined timeline for funding pledges. For the 86 and 87 I believe there is too great a risk that another manufacturer is working on a model or models. Hornby is a strong possibility, as they have both types in their back catalogue with rolling stock available in Mk2 and Mk3 coaches, however the greater likelihood for me is Oxford Rail, who have already announced they are producing Mk3 coaches in local hauled and HST type and have also announced carflats of the Motorail type. They have indicated that they intend to produce locos and rolling stock, so I feel they are likely to be working on locos to operate with the Mk3s rather than just introduce them for other makers machines. Both these companies only announce projects at about a year or less from production.

It's a personal view but for me too much of a risk.

Cannot fault that logic...I have a gut feeling that OR is working on one of these. With regards to Hornby, I doubt they'll be working on any of these two said models, but again I've got a feeling that they're working on one AC electric.

Hi Dave...it's me again!

Just a quick question. At what point will you feel that the poll's results is good enough to go ahead with the crowd-funding? Cheers!

Hi,

I'll give it a couple of weeks I think, then I'll canvas livery and detail options, then push the button.

Cheers

Dave

Cannot fault that logic...I have a gut feeling that OR is working on one of these. With regards to Hornby, I doubt they'll be working on any of these two said models, but again I've got a feeling that they're working on one AC electric.

The trouble is that although I can't blame them, secret squirrel rather than open development usually leads to inaccuracies in models, especially if the manufacturer doesn't listen to criticism and blunders ahead no matter what.

However, I have no reservation about bringing the best 86 or 87 yet seen, to market, and you guys will get input.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Dave I voted for the 86, I like both but to me the Class 86 is more useful and has a longer life with more liveries. I'd be more than happy to part with my Heljan Class 86 fleet to pay for a new variant.

Simon

On Monday I was observing a pair of Freightliner liveried locos on a boxes train, they are 50 years old and still "modern image" :good: 

As for lowering the pantograph, Andi Dell (ex DEMU Chair) done this on his class 86s many moons ago, using memory wire. Much tidier and take up less space than the example shown in the video. :locomotive:

I'd be up for an 86 (E3101 / 86252) and an 87 (87001) as built. I only display prototypes in a case so the operating pantograph wouldn't interest me. Come to that, neither does a motor ;)

I'd be up for a decent 81 / 82 / 83 / 84 as well.

Archived