Greetings.

Hope all is well with you all.

I've been building a single loop layout for some time now. Work, my other hobby of musician-ing and a two year old (happily, utterly bonkers about railways) have made the process slow, but we're getting there. My interest is Midland Region, first half of the 1960s, specifically North Wales, and i was wondering what kind of locos, Steam and Diesel, would have been around. I realise that it's something of a broad question, but a generally speaking, which types of loco were used in North Wales?

• RMweb Premium

Greetings.

Hope all is well with you all.

I've been building a single loop layout for some time now. Work, my other hobby of musician-ing and a two year old (happily, utterly bonkers about railways) have made the process slow, but we're getting there. My interest is Midland Region, first half of the 1960s, specifically North Wales, and i was wondering what kind of locos, Steam and Diesel, would have been around. I realise that it's something of a broad question, but a generally speaking, which types of loco were used in North Wales?

Hi Adrian,

Diesels, Classes 08, 24, 25, 40 and 47s.

DMUs Classes 101, 103, 104, 105(?), 108, 128 (non gangway) and Derby lightweight.

Steam Black fives, 8Fs, Jubilees, Black fives, 4Fs, Folwer/Stanier/Fairburn class 4 2-6-4Ts, Jinties, Black fives, Ivatt class 4 and class 2 2-6-0s, Ivatt class 2 2-6-2T, various BR standard 4-6-0s, 2-6-0s, 2-6-4Ts, and 2-6-2Ts, Black fives, 9Fs and Britannias. Did I mention Black Fives?

Hello Adrian

Good choice of location - Chester General the best of two worlds BR (LMR and WR).

I used to train spot at Chester when staying at my Aunt's house on the Wirral.  I think I visited summer 1960, 61 and 62..  Scots and Patriots (both rebuilt and unrebuilt) on Manchester trains, Duchess/City and Princess types on running in turns from Crewe, plus Black Fives, Crabs and 8Fs.  The Birkenhead line had 2-6-4Ts - I cannot remember the designer but not BR Standards.  There were Castles and Halls on the Shrewsbury line plus the occasional Grange on fast freight.

One of my favourite reference books is "An Historical Survey of Chester to Holyhead Railway Track Layouts and Illustrations", by Anderson VR and Fox GK, Oxford Publishing Company 1984..  I have just dug it out to check for locomotive pictures but the pictures are mostly track and architecture.

There are a lot of model layouts based on Llandudno Junction - plus shed histories.  You need to Google a few topics.

Good hunting

Ray

Morning all...

Nice! Lots to go on, there. I have googled quite a bit without success, but that's always best when you can be specific, of course. Luckily, several of the locos mentioned are on my ''must have'' list: Black Five, 8F, Diesel classes 08, 24 and 25., for example. I'm quite keen on Ivatt's locos too. Strangely, i find LNER locos largely unattractive, (apart from the Pacifics, of course, but who doesn't like them? hehe....), which is what sought me to look westward from my home area, as it were. My mother is from Shropshire, so there was more than a bit of nostalgia in my choice of location, not to mention the fact that i love Wales.

Still, i now have more of a direction.

Thanks, chaps!

Hello Adrian

''The Birkenhead line had 2-6-4Ts - I cannot remember the designer but not BR Standards''

Fowler, maybe?

Not Fowler types - I would have said Fairburn.  I think as the Scots and Patriots were phased out they would have been replaced by Britannias displaced from the Eastern Region.

Speak again

Ray

No 56xxs at all in North Wales to my knowledge, 57xx and 8750s yes but only on the Western Region lines.

You can have 2251 Collett Goods No. 3208 with the snowplough though, stabled at Llandudno junction for the last winter before withdrawal. 

No 56xxs at all in North Wales to my knowledge, 57xx and 8750s yes but only on the Western Region lines.

You can have 2251 Collett Goods No. 3208 with the snowplough though, stabled at Llandudno junction for the last winter before withdrawal.

The 56's were used on some trains into Dee Marsh from Wrexham, and panniers on passenger trains up to Seacome. This on the former LNER Wrexham - Bidston, crossing the main line at Shotton.

• RMweb Gold

The 56's were used on some trains into Dee Marsh from Wrexham, and panniers on passenger trains up to Seacome. This on the former LNER Wrexham - Bidston, crossing the main line at Shotton.

5605 and 6697 were the last two in use from Croes Newydd

Why the GWS chose 6697 over 5605 baffled me.  They had the choice of a true Swindon built loco as opposed to an Armstrong Whitworth copy.

However, my bias is showing through, as 5605 was worked on by my grandfather at Cathays, where as 6697 appears to have never strayed too far into Wales during her working life.

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of GWR engines has me confused. The OP mentioned Midland Region, now I know the ex LNER and GWR lines did fall under LMR control in the end but surely the LMR line in North Wales is the LNWR mainline from Chester to Holyhead.

Forgot Crabs and Stanier 2-6-0s.................by the way did I mention Black Fives.

All this talk of GWR engines has me confused. The OP mentioned Midland Region, now I know the ex LNER and GWR lines did fall under LMR control in the end but surely the LMR line in North Wales is the LNWR mainline from Chester to Holyhead.

Forgot Crabs and Stanier 2-6-0s.................by the way did I mention Black Fives.

Yes The Chester to Holyhead Railway was then taken over by the LNWR, subsequently the LMS and then BR (M). The WR locos arrived on this railway at Chester (Paddington - Birkenhead) also the Rhyl - Corwen attracted some Ex WR locos at Rhyl, Llandudno Junction had a 2251 fitted with a snow plough for a while, Bangor/Caernarfon attracted some locos from ArfonWen/Pwllheli off the Cambrian via the Llyn Penninsular as well. Blaenau Ffestiniog is also part of the North Wales network, and that had two stations at one time, LMS and GWR which met end on pretty much. 

So the Western Reigion did get onto the coastal line in places.

But certainly agreed with what has gone before, 3F's (both Jinty's and the Ex L&Y), 4F's, Stanier 2-6-4 Tanks, Stanier Moguls, Black 5's, Jubilee's, Patriots, Scots, 8F's, and the odd Princess or Duchess.

Quite a good selection.

Jinty ;)

Archived