Oliver Cromwell to Cromer Charter

It should be a good day. Me and my dad are lucky enough to be on it. However, we are on the return trip to Norwich due to train length from Cromer, you get Norwich-Holt or Holt-Norwich.

It would have helped if Cromer had been remodelled to retain the run round loop and full length platform. There were at least four half decent points in storage in Norwich yard (well I stopped counting at four).

Before the remodelling I did the survey of the loop and found some real ancient bits of trackwork with the odd few C19 M&GN chairs still there as well as GER and LNER ones.

I have to say I am a bit miffed about missing it, particularly as I asked the railway for info. What is more they are running the Quadart with both the N7 and N2 - while my father would be rotating in his grave that his N7 was on the M&GN if he hadn't been cremated - he would have loved to see all three together even if it was to show how much better the GE was than the GN!

I live locally to the area, but could some one confirm If I have the right Idea,

It is going from Norwich, through Wroxham, north walsham etc to Cromer?

Or is it taking another route?

I think you are around fifty years too late for it taking any other route.

Well me being me, looking at websites last night found it left Norwich at 12:09 so off I went to Wroxham station to see it and was there around 12:15 not realising that it would not reach Wroxham till 1:20, however I held on and waited for it and bang on the dot The East costs mainlines 37 appeared hauling it with Oliver Cromwell on the rear (as it needed to be facing the right way for the crossing.) It came down to a nice slow approach, the 37 went passed and the rake of coaches and I just got a glimpse of Oliver Cromwell as a Class 170 DMU (arriving 9 minutes early) pulled in front of the down platform and completely blocked my view and another 50 odd peoples view of the loco. By the time I had made my way to the other end of the Class 170 it was disappearing off round the corner to Cromer <_<

So me being me decided to drive another 20 miles to Sheringham to see it crossing the line, of which I arrived within 10 minutes time to see it and because I was on my motor-bike found a small parking space between cars relatively soon. There was an absolutely fantastic turn out there and it was nice to see the Quad-arts again along with the N7 and N2 top and tail, and not forgetting Oliver Cromwell crossing the line, even if the 37 was still attached to the other end!

It was a fantastic event and a big thanks goes out to the organisers.

Now do I need to go out to Wroxham again later and see it on the return with the loco first?

Oh yes, I saw that there was another charter with Cromwell today...

I shouldn't have thought it would be an injector malfunctioning as such, it probably just briefly got too hot for the injector cones to do their thing. If the injector was properly not working on Wednesday, I would think that it would have been failed well before reaching Network Rail(s), and all the engines allowed on the mainline are in tiptop condition, spared at no expense.

JB.

• RMweb Premium

Wonder if it is injector trouble that is causing the delays today? :(

36E

No, I heard that it was taking on coal at Barnetby which took up an hour! I saw it pass Kirton Lime Sidings at 18.10 this evening.

• RMweb Premium

No, I heard that it was taking on coal at Barnetby which took up an hour! I saw it pass Kirton Lime Sidings at 18.10 this evening.

Ah thanks! Went to Rushey Sidings (no sidings now) and waited 'till 18.10, heard she was 70 mins late went home and returned at 18.50 to have missed it by minutes as it had made up 10ish between Barnetby and Retford! Bah!!!!!

Next time!

36E

• RMweb Premium

Hmph. Abandoned hope at Retford Whisker Hill when it got too cold and dark, about 1830. Patience is a virtue.

Someone's posted a very dark photo at Kirton Tunnel: http://www.flickr.co...ins/4429445009/

Not to worry, most people abandon hope at Retford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely 36E

Archived