The Locomotives of Boulton's siding

• RMweb Gold

described as having 1x17 inch cylinders.

Somewhat underpowered, but the boiler will be able to supply more than enough steam...

It also has unevenly spaced wheels (greater space between leading and central axle than leading and rear) and has the old E.B. Wilson style of fluted safety valve cover, which indicates an Old Class I

I have been trying to identify it by works number.

177 of 1865 SHAKESPEARE (St. Albans) Contract details as above. Sold to T.B. Crampton, Kineton, 1866

Sister 178 was an Old Class I.

Also appearing elsewhere on the web.

It later went to Selsey Tramway as Morous.

Edited by Regularity

So does this mean you're building three of his locos in addition to Sharpie no.11? You work fast!

Not intentionally. I've had the Manning kit for a while and never made the Boulton connection until now but I am doing the 2-4-0T Eclipse, which is definitely being built in Boulton's rebuilt condition.

Somewhat underpowered, but the boiler will be able to supply more than enough steam...

Sister 178 was an Old Class I.

Also appearing elsewhere on the web.

It later went to Selsey Tramway as Morous.

Interesting... That one has the flared bunker, which also steps onto the rear buffer beam. The drawing in the book shows a loco with the plain bunker that finishes short of the buffer beam. The one that went to Australia has the plain bunker but stepped on to the buffer beam. The photo in Harman's book shows MALVERN with the same style of bunker as in the drawing in The Chronicles.

Was the style of buffer beam a progressive change that can be dated, I wonder? Or was it not dependent on when the loco was built? More photos of known Old Class I are needed to compare.

• Like 1

Mr Rosling Bennett was a very interesting person himself.His day job was promoting early telegraph and later telephone systems which were the forerunners of today's BT system.

One of them was in Edinburgh and while there he organised an Exhibition of Railway Locomotives to mark the opening of the Forth Bridge.The locos included a Webb compound (Jeannie Deans) and a Stirling single which came close to losing its chimney at the road bridge at St Margarets!

I wrote an Article about him which appeared in a Railway World Annual about 1985.His work brought him into contact with the Postmaster General who was Cecil Raikes of the Mersey Railway and the Tank engine named for whom still exists in Liverpool

I thought - whooo, nice MW kit, lets have a look at RT Models range.

The next one on their list is this :

post-6979-0-72760600-1514720917.jpg

Question (First obvious one), 'How do they open the smokebox door?'

On the K's Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0T I have, and I'm assuming this is how the kit came some decades ago, the buffer beam is dropped and the coupling is near the top - thus the door can be opened.
The third photo shows the 1:1 scale 'Lord Mayor' and how that coupling chain is attached.

Of course I'm assuming they didn't open the door a bit and then lift the door upwards off the side hinges.

post-6979-0-96804900-1514721428_thumb.jpg

post-6979-0-85186400-1514721411.jpg

• Like 4

manning wardles had that same dip in the bufferbeam or the doors were D shaped to open upwards like on Ruston's above

I agree, re the top hinged ones.  I'm just sad that in manufacturing the kit, a little thought hadn't gone into the other front beams.

I saw one of these at NEC this year with the circular door and straight top beam, on asking the owner re the front plank, the owner's reply was "That's how the kit came".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Who is Mr. Knowles?

As Pete says he was Boulton's painter (who would actually paint engines in a tall hat and frock coat!) he did some marvellous work "employing different shades to produce different artistic effects" even painting 'Bristol' in something very like LBSCR marsh livery about 40 years before it was applied to lbscr locos!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree, re the top hinged ones. I'm just sad that in manufacturing the kit, a little thought hadn't gone into the other front beams.

I saw one of these at NEC this year with the circular door and straight top beam, on asking the owner re the front plank, the owner's reply was "That's how the kit came".

"that's how old class I and k's was built"

A lot of research has been carried out into these 2 designs of locos.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sharpthorn_at_Horsted_Keynes_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1449615.jpg

Preserved class k, no dip in bufferbeam

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjsa175.htm

Old class I, became morous and one of the variants the kit is designed to build, no dip in bufferbeam

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/Lpages/html/L2563.html

Class k, slight dip in bufferbeam

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fort_brockhurst/fort_Brockhurst_alsop(1903)old3.jpg

Old class I, no dip in bufferbeam, stove pipe chimney though.

Edited by RThompson

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for Boulton's siding on old maps with a view to establishing the track plan, I think I may have established the location and general arrangement here but no chance of discerning the track plan from this 1885 map

post-29975-0-22622100-1522090955_thumb.png

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2

I'm looking for Boulton's siding on old maps with a view to establishing the track plan, I think I may have established the location and general arrangement here but no chance of discerning the track plan from this 1885 map

That looks to be a different place than I thought it was. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112757-the-locomotives-of-boultons-siding/?p=2967052

If its the site of the gas engine works you're likely right, the trouble is finding the same location in the 1860s/70s, I'll look again but I don't recall seeing any sidings there on the 1891 map

• 3 weeks later...