Dumb Buffered Wagons

I just run this up on the Silhouette cutter and put it together this afternoon its a Caledonian diagram 22 dumb buffer mineral wagon and after tweaking the drawings I'll be able to run off a few more it only needs the W irons wheels and spring/axle boxes adding which I've got from Wizard.

Here's a couple of views of the wagon plus a screen shot of the drawing on Inkscape

post-17847-0-81720000-1475419264_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-62601600-1475419251.jpg

post-17847-0-29272300-1475419282.jpg

Here's a couple of views of the wagon plus a screen shot of the drawing on Inkscape

Nice work, but what are the big rectangles on the ends of the buffers?  Have they still to be cut back to the profile of the buffers and then the corners chamfered?   See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109476-caledonian-wagons/&do=findComment&comment=2365785 , third photo down, for the 2mm version done as an etch.  The unpainted kit is in an earlier post in the same topic.

Jim

I think what is implied is that Dumb Buffers are basically square shaped end on, the width is about the same as the height of the Solebar, yours are, well, rectangles.
Otherwise, the bodywork is AAA+++.

I think what is implied is that Dumb Buffers are basically square shaped end on, the width is about the same as the height of the Solebar, yours are, well, rectangles.

On the early CR 6 and 7 ton 'bogies' the buffers were 10½" deep x 9" thick.  Later wagons had 12" square dumb buffers, but on the Dia. 21 and 22 wagons, and some others,  there was an extra layer on top of the buffer which I estimate to be c3" thick, making the buffers on these 15" deep by 12" thick.  There was an iron strap around them near the end, sunk in flush with the wood and then the ends themselves were chamfered beyond that.

Jim

Nice work, but what are the big rectangles on the ends of the buffers?  Have they still to be cut back to the profile of the buffers and then the corners chamfered?   See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109476-caledonian-wagons/&do=findComment&comment=2365785 , third photo down, for the 2mm version done as an etch.  The unpainted kit is in an earlier post in the same topic.

Jim

Hi Jim I do still want to add one more bit of 20 thou plasticard to the inside edge of the dumb buffers then the end caps can be chamfered off to funish them off properly, its still a work in progress and this one will most likely never go on a set of axles as it was a test build and I've had to add bits and slice bits off to get it right and this afternoon I've been back on the pc and tweaked the drawing to correct all the faults.

Steve

If the dumb buffer was made from two pieces the height and thickness of the solebar - i.e. an extension of the solebar packed with a piece cur from the same stock as the solebar -  one might expect it to be 10" wide by 12" high.

Yes. The dumb buffers were usually the solebar plus other pieces behind it, typically another piece of solebar (they were usually 12"x5" in cross section) with a packing piece between them, to create a 12" square end section, which seems to have generally been filled and smoothed prior to painting. To keep everything together, particularly under shocks and compression, there was a metal banding strip around the end, usually the wood being removed so that the surface of the metal was flush, otherwise there is a risk of Cannot immediately remember how big this was, but it is worth scribing a line about a scale 2" wide around the end, and painting it with whatever was used elsewhere on the wagon ironwork.

The 'bogies' had 10½" x 4½" solebars, hence the 10½" x 9" dimensions for the buffers.  As I said, the banding strip was not quite at the end - a couple of inches or so short of it - and the end chamfered.

Jim

Jim

.......  As I said, the banding strip was not quite at the end - a couple of inches or so short of it - and the end chamfered.

This photo of a Dia 21 10 ton Loco Coal wagon shows the arrangement and also the top strip.

post-25077-0-12348700-1475441465_thumb.jpg

On looking closer at this, the banding strip was only an inch or so from the end.

Jim

I've added 60 thou to the inside edge of the dumb buffers making them 5mm high x 4mm wide and it looks a lot better I've also almost totally redrawn the drawing to incorporate this and some other changes to ease production,

At the end of the day these are for my own use I have no interest in producing these or other Inkscape projects for a commercial gain so I'm happy with the changes I've made and the finished product that will come from it, it will allow me to produce with relative ease realistic rakes of period pre grouping wagons cheaply and this is one of about 6 wagons and vans which I've designed and drawn to be produced in this easy build "kit" form

At the end of the day these are for my own use I have no interest in producing these or other Inkscape projects for a commercial gain so I'm happy with the changes I've made and the finished product that will come from it, it will allow me to produce with relative ease realistic rakes of period pre grouping wagons cheaply and this is one of about 6 wagons and vans which I've designed and drawn to be produced in this easy build "kit" form

Fully understand and agree with you there.  i must try and take my pedant's hat off more often! :senile:

Jim

Archived