Hi Adrian,

Looks like you've made a cracking start! - will the layout be a roundy roundy?

I also like the look of the princess castle on the floor - however It looks a bit out of scale for the layout though!  :D  

cheers

Trev :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

About time the layout made an appearance on here !!

I think it's a great layout idea and, having seen the project from the outset, the extension has made the world of difference to operating potential.  ;)

Cheers,

Phil.

PS

Adrian can be a bit of a Princess, but he ain't fitting in that castle !!  :mosking:  :mosking:

Thank you Gentlemen,

Trev, no it isn't a roundy roundy, just a fiddle yard going into a terminus. Also to yourself and Phil, there are times when I think the castle should actually take centre stage......my daughter made it very well  :)

So I guess overall in terms of this topic I'm at an advantage, I have 2 years worth of photo's to bore you all with before I actually catch up with myself.

One of my first tests away from the layout was a model building, my fiancee bought me a model kit.......last one of those I made was a tank probably back in 1983

618322083_Station1.jpg.9ed289d0f5986b7598b9631064ae0d49.jpg

310764791_Station2.JPG.ed0cce4c500d9e10f180f72052a42a78.JPG

1337075355_Station3.JPG.4eb99377e49ecff833d71eb88b183602.JPG

Then Phil told me I need to try renumbering and weathering........well that's a test isn't it. Got an airbrush and had a go......good job the prototype was dirty  ;)

50029.JPG.d343477944b11525bc0e31fec730eab6.JPG

1171376793_50029Proto.JPG.4c135dbd0811154a2b4b5dad36008d1d.JPG

Edited by Iron Horse
Replacing Images
  • Like 14

Just a brief post tonight, the first pic shows the entrance to the fiddle yard, mainline going back to double track to the left and the branch line off to the right

1855246129_FiddleEntrance1.JPG.ef7584241743e9eb578bbbe105c90fae.JPG

Then I guess this was my first go at a bit of countryside scenery

752465258_FiddleEntrance2.JPG.3a74e66b591704f8371c49b4089d6245.JPG

Edited by Iron Horse
Replacing Images
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I like this. Like you were, I'm just getting round to starting a layout after 15 years without. If I can achieve your look I will be well pleased: previous layouts have never got beyond wired track on baseboard with a few plonked buildings and platforms. I'm interested in the (white) case shown in the top photo in post #8 just by the front of the pacer and what looks like another slightly different just off the left of the photo. Do you know who makes them and whether they are still available?

Thanks, Paul.

I like this. Like you were, I'm just getting round to starting a layout after 15 years without. If I can achieve your look I will be well pleased: previous layouts have never got beyond wired track on baseboard with a few plonked buildings and platforms. I'm interested in the (white) case shown in the top photo in post #8 just by the front of the pacer and what looks like another slightly different just off the left of the photo. Do you know who makes them and whether they are still available?

Thanks, Paul.

they are relay boxes you can get them in kit form from willis kits.

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words  :)

It's been a quiet week this week and any free time I've been trying to weather my rake of modern spoil wagons I'll post some pictures later as I'm just off on the first taxi run for my daughter to ballet :sungum:

2120168369_MFAweather1.JPG.20ff71ea87e08d202a8b08abd928e413.JPG

Edited by Iron Horse
Replacing Images
  • Like 6

Hi Adrian,

Good to see your layout build on here.  I am an occasional visitor on here, but will make an effort to keep track of this. We must try and arrange another meet up, can't believe that the last one was two years ago now!  I really need to get my N gauge on the go, loads of stock and an area identified for a potential layout, just need to get myself organised!

John

• Like 1

Weathing looks good on that Adrian.mate. Nice and subtle and not over done. Weathering rolling stock is something I need to get into eventually as I've got plenty of stock to do on PDW. Just need to acquire some old stock to practise on first and an air brush.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Adrian,

Good to see your layout build on here.  I am an occasional visitor on here, but will make an effort to keep track of this. We must try and arrange another meet up, can't believe that the last one was two years ago now!  I really need to get my N gauge on the go, loads of stock and an area identified for a potential layout, just need to get myself organised!

John

Hello John, how the devil are you? Thanks for popping by :) Now you could be just the man, have you got any freight photo's of either stuff for Exeter Central Cement terminal or the household coal terminal back in the 80's. Also any consists going along the sea wall would be very interesting, no rush for either but if you do look back sometime that would be fab ;)

As for meeting up, yes we must, what plans have you got for the rest of the year?

Weathing looks good on that Adrian.mate. Nice and subtle and not over done. Weathering rolling stock is something I need to get into eventually as I've got plenty of stock to do on PDW. Just need to acquire some old stock to practise on first and an air brush.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, well weathering, that's a minefield isn't it. My fiancee bought me one of the compressor and 2 airbrush kits from amazon and to be fair to get going with it, its been fab. Reasonably happy with some of the results I'm getting on my loco's although I have to admit I am finding washes/paint on-wipe off approach slightly more satisfying on wagons such as the one above. I want to give that another brown wash on the wagon sides although I may go back to the airbrush for the chassis.

I don't think I've settled on any preferred method really yet.... :lol:

• Like 1

Hi Adrian,

When I get some time time I'll have a look through my photo's.  Exmouth Jn coal was HEA Hoppers.  Exeter Central Cement; Vac braked Presflo's were still in use in 1984 and possibly in to 1985, they were replaced by the PCA's.  I have some photo's of both at Exeter Central around the 1987 time.  One chap who is very knowledgeable on West Country freight traffic is a member of this forum, Rivercider has had input in to several layout threads sharing is wisdom with members!  I know of him but don't recall ever meeting him, although I worked with a couple of people who knew him through work and their interest in railways.  He also has some interesting shots on Flickr under the same name.

I have no fixed plans apart from the Glos & Warwicks this coming Saturday and the Spa Valley the following weekend.  I guess finding time when we are both free is going to be the main challenge!

Today (26 July) 30 years ago we were on our penultimate day of a 7 day all line Rail Rover.  A good day as I recall - 08879 on the Sheffield shunt and 58025 Birmingham to Bristol being highlights of the day.

John 

Yes John that was an excellent day indeed, not forgetting the mighty 50041 and 3 peaks.......how times change eh?

I've been following all of Rivercider's photo threads and have got loads of useful stuff from them, Did coal sector 37's ever work the HEA's or had they finished before sectorisation? Don't suppose you took any photo's of the cement terminal itself? I seem to be lacking detailed shots!!!!!!

I was going to go and do the snatcher this Saturday, may have a rethink.............

• Like 1

So tonight I thought I'd look through some earlier pictures to show a bit of the general development. As I said I moved from my daughters bedroom and this enabled me to also extend the main board, I guess previously you could argue it was no more than a scenic plank but this extra length gave me something a little more tangible

So this first picture shows the basic extension

1093043871_MainBoard1.JPG.010599eba65497127a5f0affec1420a6.JPG

The second shows how the tracks were extended, the station and docks area have gone full length but I have also added extra at the rear on the headshunt to enable double headed 37's to operate from the depot  :sungum:

540193279_MainBoard2.JPG.e354152fb3e213b09ad1e26abc99ef14.JPG

This shows roughly the idea for the station and puts a base in for the docks

1553890022_MainBoard3.JPG.95f2407554ed394511e501b329205d83.JPG

Finally this is a shot looking down the fiddle yard, 3 sidings off of the branch and 4 on the main line

1190352820_FiddleYard.JPG.0b0daea3f40ae6253071d76cd50a2cf2.JPG

Thanks for looking  :)

Edited by Iron Horse
Replacing Images
  • Like 9

Hi

Enjoyed reading your thread....

You asked your friend for pics of Exeter Central Cement depot......

I took these as dated on the scans....Hope they are of use....

post-7844-0-52747900-1469737456_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-29934300-1469737403_thumb.jpg

Will be following with interest

Cheers Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1