21 hours ago, big T said:

Hi mate

The first one is a pressurised TTA - I'd suggest Chlorine, but perhaps C02 and the second one appears to be a PCA -  cement maybe?

Hope that helps 

Trev :)

The tank's larger than most chlorine tanks I've seen; they also tend to have ladders and walkways. I'd suggest LPG, the wagon perhaps having arrived in a block train working, then being stopped for repair. I believe there may have been a terminal at Cattewater. The PCA would almost certainly have been cement, perhaps a special type. The two vans would be former VCA vans, recoded ZRA, and used for carrying spares to depots such as Laira.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

I did think it was a cement PCA but I never recalled that type ever getting down that way, can anyone shed any light as to where it is returning from? Would that be the same type as the forthcoming Accurascale release? As for the TTA have they ever been available in a RTR form? 

Apologies if these questions seem a little basic but I've probably missed a few things over the years.

Cheers for popping by :sungum:

Hi Adrian,

Not sure where the PCA would have been?! I'm sure one of the kit manufacturers probably do/did a kit? Im sure someone will know!

If you don't ask, you don't get mate! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/03/2019 at 09:50, McC said:

Second one is definitely a PCA Cement wagon. Looks to be STS grey perhaps...

That's what I was thinking.....perhaps I need to go to your website ;)

On 19/03/2019 at 10:48, Fat Controller said:

The tank's larger than most chlorine tanks I've seen; they also tend to have ladders and walkways. I'd suggest LPG, the wagon perhaps having arrived in a block train working, then being stopped for repair. I believe there may have been a terminal at Cattewater. The PCA would almost certainly have been cement, perhaps a special type. The two vans would be former VCA vans, recoded ZRA, and used for carrying spares to depots such as Laira.

Many thanks indeed, I've seen one or two wagons like that in consists to the west country but really haven't found out exactly what they are and whether they are available as RTR. More research I guess. Rivercider did a good photographic record of freight down there in the 80's perhaps I should start there. Top info though, thanks :)

On 19/03/2019 at 19:54, big T said:

Hi Adrian,

Not sure where the PCA would have been?! I'm sure one of the kit manufacturers probably do/did a kit? Im sure someone will know!

If you don't ask, you don't get mate! :)

Cheers Trev. I have read Accurascale's website and it does suggest those PCA's may have gone to a terminal in Plymouth (which I didn't know about) and more obviously Exeter Central. It's not like I need more wagons, but hey variety is..........:sungum:

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The front tank does look like an LPG tank to me.  I don't recall there ever being a block train working of LPG tanks to Devon or Cornwall.  It is possible that there was a customer that received wagon load traffic. Most of the cement traffic to Devon and Cornwall was Blue Circle traffic.  Cement went to Barnstaple, Exeter Central, Plymouth and Chasewater to name the ones that I know about.  Cement was conveyed in the vacuum braked "presflo" until the early 80's indeed the Exeter Central traffic didn't go over to the PCA's until 1984/85 time from memory.

Edited by 25901JFM
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2019 at 09:50, McC said:

Second one is definitely a PCA Cement wagon. Looks to be STS grey perhaps...

Pack A arrived yesterday.......what an awesome wagon that is, Thanks

536133648_NewPCA.jpg.0774aa09751ddd9d026715ca4ea8b948.jpg

Edited by Iron Horse
Putting images back
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/05/2019 at 04:34, saxokid said:

Just had good catch up here,

great work Adrian...:good_mini:

cheers neil...

Sorry Gents, I haven't been on for a while and didn't realise posts had been made :blush:

Thanks Neil

On 11/05/2019 at 08:32, rob D2 said:

Great stuff.

im doing something SW based as well. Can I ask whose station building kit it is as I need something similar I think ?

thanks 

Hi Rob, it's the GWR Ratio kit that is based on Castle Cary I believe........I just added the siding aluminium doors that I remember from my childhood holidays in Teignmouth :sungum:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

So a few weeks ago the dust was starting to do my head in and so it was time for a spring clean. I removed everything that was loose and gave the whole layout a hoover.....

1504138548_Springclean.jpg.0399df8f9de2e84aec62defb13cbbe3e.jpg

Well that took 2 evenings (mainly because I didn't know where to put the stuff I was taking off.....lol!!!!!) but the result was a clean layout which looked much better, time to turn back the clock I think

66037723_NewOrder1.jpg.03df89c0780ba2bdc603aae8fbbd8c9c.jpg

981975959_NewOrder2.jpg.a935be5e0bf092a5d71489b8403cf247.jpg

1285780847_NewOrder3.jpg.b80dd48b0ebc69906f369cc35465f5e7.jpg

Now lets try and get on with some modelling :sungum:

Edited by Iron Horse
Putting images back
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Well guess what.....not much has really happened :rolleyes: Seems to be far too much going on in life which could result in a major layout upheaval but we'll come on to that once there is more certainty!!!!!!

In the meantime my additional weathering over the factory 37 weathering was doing my head in specifically in regards to the windows!!!!!

421443213_Poorweatheringonreflection.jpg.56a914a301670c9e5e19d5c530942912.jpg

So I got some T-Cut out and this was the result.........yes I know the frost grill needs some adhesion to the bodyside ;)

1339200314_Poorweatheringimprovedslightly.jpg.bea0064243ccb9a40e5ba112222dc23c.jpg

The windows really aren't perfect but I think they are an improvement :sungum:

Then for my birthday I was given this from my daughter and fiance, the Kernow China Clay dry. I love the building despite the criticism on here and my daughters comment was " wow Daddy that almost looks real"

411719715_Oneofthosepictures.jpg.c9c1db3cb58dc03f31511bbe90acbcfc.jpg

So now the biggest question is cement terminal or clay dry? am I asking too much when the CDA's come along or can I blag it?

Dries.jpg.44873226f2ae5ec81336cce9d70c8f4b.jpg

And for a little tranquillity at the end.........here is a general view of Teignquay South Junction in the mid 1980's

1580161919_TeignquaySouthJunction.jpg.5a1b6f97bc9b3929e8489f3db911bb3a.jpg

As always, Thanks for popping by :sungum:

Edited by Iron Horse
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So no progress at all on the layout and in it's current form it's probably at the end of the road, mainly due to the fact we have moved :D

However I suppose moving forwards things have taken a positive turn. One of the bedrooms in the new house was always destined to be a model railway room, but my fiancee and daughter had other ideas and the idea of a shed was mooted :unsure: Now I resisted for ages until I did a bit of research on here and saw what some people have achieved in sheds, this combined with going to a reputable local shed supplier to find that really there are sheds and then there are insulated workshops ;) just about pursuaded me that maybe this wasn't such a bad idea........

The other major improvement I was offered was space, the result of which is the base has been prepared and I await my 16'x12' insulated workshop to arrive.........

2077051084_ShedBase.jpg.29d74c3f9b415336135909cc1dd19481.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

So no progress at all on the layout and in it's current form it's probably at the end of the road, mainly due to the fact we have moved :D

However I suppose moving forwards things have taken a positive turn. One of the bedrooms in the new house was always destined to be a model railway room, but my fiancee and daughter had other ideas and the idea of a shed was mooted :unsure: Now I resisted for ages until I did a bit of research on here and saw what some people have achieved in sheds, this combined with going to a reputable local shed supplier to find that really there are sheds and then there are insulated workshops ;) just about pursuaded me that maybe this wasn't such a bad idea........

The other major improvement I was offered was space, the result of which is the base has been prepared and I await my 16'x12' insulated workshop to arrive.........

2077051084_ShedBase.jpg.29d74c3f9b415336135909cc1dd19481.jpg

good luck mate will be a great space for a layout . Mines on hold until after the winter so i can insulate the space .

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 17:55, Iron Horse said:

Actually had a brief play last night and DCWA stalwart 50032 came to the rescue of the 1640 Teignquay - Oxford SO service :sungum:

1140217473_50032TeignquayOxford.jpg.bdcdff339ba455296c60889582088144.jpg

Any new updates Adrian..

• 3 weeks later...

Well in a few words "No, not really"!!!!!!!

Everything was going well until I got laid off in April. The shed has arrived and is now fully insulated, but the layout didn't quite come apart in the old house quite how I was expecting, plus without the ability to hire a van the whole thing has come to the new house in the back of a Mini (a BMW one, so not totally 1960's bonkers). This led to grand brand new layout ideas but no work is curtailing those plans and I've gone back to what can I achieve with what I have. I had been hoping to go down the motorised points route and perhaps even venture into the electrofrog arena but I'm unsure as to whether that is a viable option at the moment.

So in honesty I'm frustrated so any thoughts/ideas are welcome. I guess another reason for now considering modifying what I have is because of the industry I work in, I think modelling time will become a premium as the chances of me working away from home are highly likely...... decisions, decisions!!!!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 months later...

So not too much to report really other than, everything is in the room. In many pieces, but in, nonetheless!!!!!

Lack of work and finances have really hampered moving forward but at least the funds were there to get the shed insulated. Hopefully boarding it out might follow in the near future. To that end nothing is fixed in any position, this has probably been a good thing as a 2 hour review recently when Phil Mc popped round has perhaps got me moving in a sensible and exciting new direction.

So stuff moved in......

1053346208_OldLayout-NewShed.jpg.833a54ce5706b1dde2516d206be6504f.jpg

Getting the previous main board extension back to a usable new board that can accommodate changes I'm now considering

996391289_OldLayout-NewShed2.jpg.a64f18585a254286449f82878bf954a3.jpg

And then finally offered up to the original old main board

1800835988_OldLayout-NewShed3.jpg.0187bd01cfa5b59bdb0ec1daaeb8f15c.jpg

I'm hoping that by clearing that board I can get some slight curvature into the platform before further extension boards are made

1244249406_OldLayout-NewShed4.jpg.66b3e830cfbcea3e10d8daefcb33cc12.jpg

I'll post some more updates shortly. Thanks guys

Edited by Iron Horse
Putting images back
  • Like 11

• 5 months later...

So about time I said Hello I believe. Not really too much to report and probably no pictures tonight but an update nonetheless.

I guess for all of us it has been a strange year to say the least and I'm sure all of us have been affected one way or another. Progress in the shed has been nothing short of slow. Thousands of ideas have bounced around my head but in trying to keep costs sensible a few compromises have been made. I have had some sound advice along the way from Phil Mc and Newbryford as well as from Richard at Trident Trains. Thanks gents

So where are we, shed is fully insulated and boarded out, the electrics are in, a sort of plan is in place to use as much of the layout as I can, I have retro fitted motors to the points (not a job for the faint hearted after ballasting) and have even made a sort of mimic panel, I've even gained a parcels bay and put lights in my depot. Next is to rip out my bus wires and upgrade to a more substantial gauge and then hopefully with just about everything crossed I can fit permanently to the wall and expand..........hopefully this day will be arriving in the near future!!

Don't get me wrong, things have been slow but we love our new house and are grateful to be in the position we are in, both physically and emotionally, that said it is probably a good job BigJim doesn't go past my house at night too much :locomotive:

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It's much better with pictures isn't it.......

Re-aligned mainline and extended bay and additional bay

Retro fitting point motors

562629327_Retropointmotorfitting.jpg.e6e795422d2a11468621bef9fc42bc3d.jpg

When it goes well

Better.jpg.f83044d70d5de33c0f70bf44370c1a50.jpg

When it goes wrong

Whoops.jpg.3af064706d6c19dc3f58770366f1ff74.jpg

Replaced

Replaced.jpg.1e02851d5bd6614aa957420a9eeaf180.jpg

Home grown mimic board (that is what you call them isn't it)

Mimic.jpg.a109f3044923e5ccde5cd7c3febdff10.jpg

And just for Mick in case he pops by...........(yes very poor transfer application on 50002)

186062347_1970-Class50s.jpg.726322efbb0004bc03ba2fb9719f88f0.jpg

Thanks for popping by :sungum:

Edited by Iron Horse
Putting images back
  • Like 17

• 7 months later...

Wow, I can feel the tumbleweed blowing across the topic.

I've been busy and slowly getting somewhere, but I think I'll do bite-sized chunks of the progress!

So I thought getting the baseboards built outside during the summer weather would be a good place to start and so here is the development of the new fiddle yard.....

2091461779_Fiddleyardconstruction.jpg.2cef00618e17a7d71b451645c6973945.jpg

680474353_Fiddleyardbuild.jpg.90857fdda3c910f8135f243914871590.jpg

1069851282_Fiddleyardcomplete.jpg.225927bbdf349b5be4e8a0a365b50e5d.jpg

I'll try and update more later, thanks for looking?

Edited by Iron Horse
Putting images back
  • Like 14