modern railway modelling magazine, what happened to it?

18B

• RMweb Premium

It ceased publication some time ago (2006 maybe?)  I think due to low circulation figures.  There were at least 12 issues and possibly up to 14 or 15 (I can only find up to Issue 12 on my bookshelves at the moment), but I do recall having a subscription to it & that publication ceased rather suddenly.

Some back issues here http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/model-railway-modelling-magazine/

HTH

Moxy

I can't remember exactly how many issues it ran to, but somehow MRM never really caught fire, and after a couple of years Warners pulled the plug. The abandoned hulk of the website was left drifting in deep cyberspace for a few years more before it vanished too.

Non-steam content was gradually reintroduced into BRM.

The idea of mixing modern British and modern US outline content (there was never very much Continental content, and nothing for the more exotic prototypes like Japan or ANZ) didn't seem to work out , which may have been part of the problem. The theory that British diesel modellers would prefer to read articles about US diesels rather than steam-age British railways was tested seemingly to destruction. I suspect the problem was that on that front MRM was competing head-on with Model Railroader, Continental Modeller, and even Scale Model Trains, and they were heavily out-gunned. Meanwhile a lot of British outline modellers weren't particularly interested in overseas (meaning basically US outline) content. Hence the formula didn't work on the newsstands - the overseas content wasn't making the magazine a more attractive buy

• Like 1

no, the overseas stuff never did it me, mind you;re talking to someone who considers anything "Industrial/north of newcastle/Internal User/or anything other than 4ft 8 1/4 inch to be exoctic!

niche of a lesser niche market . doomed from the outset. Unless your the first to market with such a narrow market, it is a very uphill struggle. Its agenda, positioned as more anti-steam rather than simply more "modern" focus probably didn't do it any favours. In world where there is much to choose from and a burgeoning internet, well it is hadly going to be missed by many.

For me it was hampered by its staid approach and dated style. It looked (and came across) a little like it featured historic period modeling rather than modern cutting image stuff.

G.

• 4 years later...