Heljan Class 45 EP sample

MGR Hooper!

First thing I thought was thank god it's not out till 2017 pocket money talking a big hit this year already! Overall and I think you have to look at Heljan models like that, is that it's not bad. I agree with the rebate issue just been comparing it to the Bachmann one, can't see any issues with the nose but maybe there is. It is going to be one hell of a chunk I agree. For me class 25 no, class 45 yes.

I would like to see a few more pictures (Brian?) but overall looks pretty nice to me - subject to the things others have pointed out above.

With all those wheels lets hope it negotiates pointwork better than their class 40 - getting the back to backs correct would be a good starting point in that respect!

Hopefully Pete Harvey or some one can also do an etch to cover the footsteps/other grille on the bodyside for us later BR blue modellers.

The 40 fault wasn't an issue with the back to backs, it was the pony wheel which had so much movement that it derailed the bogie, we sussed it out on a layout one afternoon. The fix was a doddle 4 pieces of plastic tube sleeved over the pony axles, easy to do but took longer to suss out why it was doing it. I agree more pics but would say this one is a winner. What next a Class 56? I've heard rumours!

Nose seams are on the CAD so will definitely be on the next sample I can assure you. And the small triangular grill will stick out the same as the main grill, trust me.

That's fantastic, Brian!  I've resisted every O diesel so far, but the sheer heft of the BR-Sulzer Type 4 is really captivating, and I can see myself saving up for one.  

60 LYTHAM ST ANNES in BFYE post-refurb 1968 condition, as she brought down the curtain on the Waverley route....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some mixes of 1960s and 1970s peaks here too.

The nose side grille is the later version without the central dividing strut more appropriate to 1960s machines. The EP also has non-plated over bodyside footsteps and open filler hatch which was plated over on many locos. The triangular and small bodyside grilles were also plated over depending on prototype. Peak details are quite a minefield if you are modelling a particular machine in a given timeframe. I have the lists of these mods somewhere on the hard disk.

Is the number 1 end central headcode and not centre-split? Headcodes were again a great source of variety, certainly in the mid 1970s before the flush fronts were done.

I passed on the Western but could easily add a peak if the errors are sorted as Brian has suggested.

Neil

• Like 1

Brenn read what I said 3 posts up.

The model will include etched metal covers for the boiler steps, side vent and roof filler hatches. There will be a plastic triangular grill for the body side and a plastic blank to replace it if required.

That is good Brian if they provide these things - excellent

The headcode panels are also wrong, the centre splits where are inset in to the nose ends.

I noticed the 'glass' was sitting a fraction flush in the photo - it does need moving back a fraction but this is only the first sample or it might not have been pressed fully home? - could easily be corrected by the modeller but hopefully Heljan adjust it a fraction. I'm sure Brian will be on the case!

Here are the etched covers for the boiler area. On the back of the D blanks there is a thicker bit to locate it and there is a recessed edge on the roof hatches to locate that. Pictures of the cabs and desk as well. There is also a tail light on/off switch under the nose number two end. These will all be colour matched to there respective liveries.

post-6766-0-36290200-1468244617.jpg

post-6766-0-62708700-1468244619.jpg

post-6766-0-91885000-1468244620.jpg

post-6766-0-88774200-1468244622.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Also missing the segmental bearing grease points on the body side (circular holes) below the radiator grills and below the boiler room grills 45/0s, 45/1s they were plated over. Vacuum pipe and strainer and the NON return valve are also quite prominent on the prototype at No2 end drivers side are these going to be moddelled?

Edited by pheaton

Also missing the segmental bearing grease points on the body side (circular holes) below the radiator grills and below the boiler room grills (these would apply to non refurbished 45s only) as they were plated over after that. Vacuum pipe and strainer and the NON return valve are also quite prominent on the prototype at No2 end drivers side are these going to be moddelled?

As Heljan will only do one body molding it was decided to do it as a blue era loco to be correct for at least one body style. The pipe you are talking about was included but it got knocked off and I had forgot to put it back on. I will be painting this in blue in a week or two but undecided what to do about the lack of a seam. Do I try and scribe one on or just draw one on after painting?

As Heljan will only do one body molding it was decided to do it as a blue era loco to be correct for at least one body style. The pipe you are talking about was included but it got knocked off and I had forgot to put it back on. I will be painting this in blue in a week or two but undecided what to do about the lack of a seam. Do I try and scribe one on or just draw one on after painting?

You may be best guided by how Heljan intend to introduce this on the model, if the upper nose is to be cut a tad deeper, resulting in a slightly raise surface, then thin plasticard feathered filled and feathered would be the best, if laborious,  route (or at a pinch mask it off give and the upper node a couple of coats of thickish paint). If it is to be an etched line or raised line, then scribing  or adding a thin rod/streched sprue would be the best approximation. Paint the line on only if that is what Heljan intend to do.  If time does not allow the sort of mod required then leave it off as a painted line would give a false impression.