Heljan Class 45 EP sample

MGR Hooper!

Does anyone else have a Class 45 that does the rock and roll?  Mine has a pronounced and annoying oscillation where the body is rocking from side to side as it moves and the cause would appear on examination to be the two piece mountings for the bogie pivots; when I removed them and looked at the profile of the mounting holes they make for the pivot pins, the holes aren't circular. 

I have a few questions: Has anyone else had the rocking problem and if so what do you think was the cause and how did you fix it?  Many thanks for any help on this as otherwise it would be a good model that would be much-liked. 

Of course, I might ask how could Heljan make such a simple error on a £500 loco, but I don't think I've had a Heljan 0 gauge model yet that has been ready to run.

Thanks for any help on this

Bill 

• RMweb Premium

I have a few questions: Has anyone else had the rocking problem and if so what do you think was the cause and how did you fix it?

Bill

In a word, no! I have two, both very smooth and stable. However, as bought, one wasn’t as quiet and ran in snatches at slow speed - I sent it back and the replacement is as good as the other.

Ian

In a word, no! I have two, both very smooth and stable. However, as bought, one wasn’t as quiet and ran in snatches at slow speed - I sent it back and the replacement is as good as the other.

Ian

Thanks for the feedback, Ian.  I am going for a bit of re-engineering of the vertical pin in the bogie pivot and I hope to give it a run at the weekend. It sounds fine with a Paul Chetter soundfile playing through Bose speaker, at least.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

I hope to give it a run at the weekend. It sounds fine with a Paul Chetter soundfile playing through Bose speaker, at least.

Bill

Any chance of a video? Was thinking about sound just now by coincidence!

Edited by Hal Nail

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Don't suppose anyone fancies swapping their unweathered blue body for my green one?

I bought two, blue and green. The blue was a poor runner so i sent it straight back. Replacement arrived, which ran like a dream and in the overall panic/relief failed to spot a fairly major issue..... Had a bit of a shock tonight when i got them both out to do some weathering and seem to have two green ones. 

Honestly words fail me... I think totally my fault as I remember asking if they had any green left when I needed blue - at least I did send the right (defective) one back! The place I got it have sold out of blue now so I can't do a swap. Worst case will repaint but on the off chance though I'd ask.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rub an HB pencil across the buffer faces, fantastic way of replicating grease, it'll top it off a treat!

Or sticky Gloss Humbrol* black when nearly dry.

*(Other makes of paint are available)

Edited by Crisis Rail

• RMweb Gold

Don't suppose anyone fancies swapping their unweathered blue body for my green one?

I bought two, blue and green. The blue was a poor runner so i sent it straight back. Replacement arrived, which ran like a dream and in the overall panic/relief failed to spot a fairly major issue..... Had a bit of a shock tonight when i got them both out to do some weathering and seem to have two green ones. 

Honestly words fail me... I think totally my fault as I remember asking if they had any green left when I needed blue - at least I did send the right (defective) one back! The place I got it have sold out of blue now so I can't do a swap. Worst case will repaint but on the off chance though I'd ask.

Ian,

Only just seen your message from September, so you may well have resolved the problem or have gone down the repaint road, but I may have an option for you  - if your still interested drop me a PM.

Rich

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for the panels that replace the triangular grills on the bodyside (parts 16/17), preferably in blue if anyone has some they could spare please? Not on the Gaugemaster site and I bought mine 2nd hand without any. Thanks!

On 10/04/2020 at 17:48, D9016 said:

I'm looking for the panels that replace the triangular grills on the bodyside (parts 16/17), preferably in blue if anyone has some they could spare please? Not on the Gaugemaster site and I bought mine 2nd hand without any. Thanks!

Now sorted thanks

• 2 months later...
On 17/05/2017 at 09:58, Richard Pike said:

I have just installed sound into my Peak and must say the model is a vast improvement over other Heljan models, very DCC friendly, the wiring did not need extending and wiring colours are now common, i.e right hand pick up's are red, left hand black etc.

Decoder I have used, supplied by Paul Chetter, is the new Zimo 696 which mounts onto a sub connector board which is really usefull should I want to have the Decoder modified at any time as it simply unplugs leaving all the wiring in place.

post-1685-0-71714900-1495011082.jpg

post-1685-0-97343300-1495011104.jpg

post-1685-0-29381200-1495011128.jpg

Could I ask what speakers you used with this sound installation? That Zimo set up does look very neat and useful with the chip just unplugging if needed. Cheers, Phil. 

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m quite liking the detailed builders plate on that model.

is that just factory finished print on the raised plate ?

Thats how they come although there is a suggestion earlier in the thread that its in the wrong place. I've never bothered to check personally!

5 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

I have seen quite a lot of updates on Facebook regarding new models from these guys but all O gauge what is happening with the OO gauge 45 and 47

Heljan posted this in the other Class 45 thread last month: