Heljan Class 45 EP sample

MGR Hooper!

As Heljan will only do one body molding it was decided to do it as a blue era loco to be correct for at least one body style. The pipe you are talking about was included but it got knocked off and I had forgot to put it back on. I will be painting this in blue in a week or two but undecided what to do about the lack of a seam. Do I try and scribe one on or just draw one on after painting?

I think you have to scribe one on - it only needs a slight identation really - when you finally weather it (I appreciate this probably won't be weathered immediately if it is the Heljan sample loco etc) the tinyest fraction of dirt will end up in the scribed bit and it should look perfect.

Looking forward to seeing the Peak in BR Blue.

Also missing the segmental bearing grease points on the body side (circular holes) below the radiator grills and below the boiler room grills 45/0s, 45/1s they were plated over. Vacuum pipe and strainer and the NON return valve are also quite prominent on the prototype at No2 end drivers side are these going to be moddelled?

They were plated over, but a grease nipple was provided in the same place.

Here are the etched covers for the boiler area. On the back of the D blanks there is a thicker bit to locate it and there is a recessed edge on the roof hatches to locate that. Pictures of the cabs and desk as well. There is also a tail light on/off switch under the nose number two end. These will all be colour matched to there respective liveries.

That is a great idea to have various covers/blanking plates to suit your particular choice of model.

Probably too late now but on a slightly larger scale it is a shame the same couldn't have been done with the lower front ends of the locos to cover the various front end designs of headcode:- centre, centre split, wide and marker lights.

I'll probably have a centre split but am planning to be converting one to a centre headcode and one to a marker light version. All good fun!!!

• RMweb Gold

Agreed deltic17. On the new tooling 4mm Bachmann 40 the noses are removable, making painting and exchange very easy indeed. It wouldn't take too much to have such flexibility and have all headcode variants of class 44/45/46 this way in 7mm, after of course adding the nose end seam :). Different battery box covers though for the Brushpeak class 46.

Neil

• Like 1

Agreed deltic17. On the new tooling 4mm Bachmann 40 the noses are removable, making painting and exchange very easy indeed.

Neil

:offtopic :

Can you get spares though?

Edited by leopardml2341

Set to become my sole foray into O, I reckon!  Lovely!

That's what I thought when I bought a Deltic, now I have an EE Type 4 and a 350hp shunter(on order).

This looks rather interesting......

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic :

Can you get spares though?

/off topic

I don't know Andy - I've just painted a couple of my 40s noses to full yellow - very easy job.

Maybe worth making contact with Bachmann.

/on topic

Heljan always provides spare sprues from Howes of Oxford on release of new models, so if the nose were designed to be detachable then all variants could be catered for, and readily obtained.

• Like 1

Guest B Exam

Looks like the old bank account is going to get a hammering...

This looks a right beast, just as I remember them. Saves building a JLTRT model!

Nice BR Blue one, domino headcodes and Royal Signals nameplates. All tarted up for working the Royal train just like In the picture I have somewhere of 45144 at Sheffield circa 1984 with white tyres and spotlessly clean!

Pity all my other models are HO scale!

Edited by B Exam

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Aha....just spotted another issue...

the nose doors are incorrect....peaks had either bolted grills or opening doors with catches, and in that EP sample Heljan have combined the two....they either need to lose the two door catches or the bolt heads.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a party pooper, but still no nose seam?

The nose doors on Steve's photo of the green peak are of the later, blue era style, namely with no central reinforcement bar.

See for original style

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/8157415839/

Interesting yellow surrounds to split headcode box on this one.

Not a problem for me (the nose seam though certainly is) as I'd want a blue livery machine, but incorrect for original as built.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a party pooper, but still no nose seam?

The nose doors on Steve's photo of the green peak are of the later, blue era style, namely with no central reinforcement bar.

See for original style

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/8157415839/

Interesting yellow surrounds to split headcode box on this one.

Not a problem for me (the nose seam though certainly is) as I'd want a blue livery machine, but incorrect for original as built.

Neil

It is not quite as simple as that, there are photos of blue 45s with the central bar and I am sure some the green 45s didn't have it. I imagine that there was a change of design and doors just got swapped around at overhaul and replaced as and when necessary.

The ex-works photo of D11 when brand new seems not to show a central bar although that may just be the photo quality.

​Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

It is not quite as simple as that, there are photos of blue 45s with the central bar and I am sure some the green 45s didn't have it. I imagine that there was a change of design and doors just got swapped around at overhaul and replaced as and when necessary.

The ex-works photo of D11 when brand new seems not to show a central bar although that may just be the photo quality.

​Roy

Hi Roy

If you could point me in the direction of class 45s photos that retained the early style nose door that would be helpful, I have a rather obsessive habit of collating such details. I'm aware of green class 46s with the later style door, and indeed some class 44s carried the early version to the end. However, I'm still of the opinion that the "non bar version" is a later modification.

Good news re the nose seam, looks like a peak will be joining my small but highly focussed O gauge fleet.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• 1 month later...