Heljan Class 45 EP sample

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing the pictures - does it go through points OK? - assuming you've had the chance to test it....

I can now report that the loco runs beautifully through all the pointwork on my (rather small) layout.  

I can now report that the loco runs beautifully through all the pointwork on my (rather small) layout.  

Oh well - that is good news - thanks.

It seems rather quiet on the 'Peak' front from everybody - has anyone else got theirs yet - the only picture I have seen of the final production loco is the one you kindly posted - nothing on any of the main retailers sites as far as I can see.

Maybe we have all spent too much on our centre headcode Class 37's recently???

Overall it looks very good as you noted, in particular, shapewise. The only thing I noted was the 'rubber seals' around the headcode box look to have the black rubbers painted a bit too thickly in fact all the photos I have seen of them in the late 70's/early 80's show those rubbers actually painted yellow as in Wolf27's example. Relatively minor fault though and not many will notice really but a lack of attention to detail

Edited by deltic17

• RMweb Premium

Oh well - that is good news - thanks.

The only thing I noted was the 'rubber seals' around the headcode box look to have the black rubbers painted a bit too thickly

Reminded me (fondly) of my Mainline Manchester Regiment for which I saved weeks and weeks of pocket money!

• RMweb Premium

Where did you get yours? As mentioned earlier it's all very quiet everywhere...

Edited by Hal Nail

Reminded me (fondly) of my Mainline Manchester Regiment for which I saved weeks and weeks of pocket money!

:O You mean Heljan have put the buffer beam on the body..??!!?? :jester:

Know what you mean, though - my Mainline Peak of 1979-ish was the smoothest-running UK diesel I had around that time.

Here's a pic of one of mine (I bought 2)

Lovely model as you chaps say.

My only (slight) annoyance is the location of the builders plate, which is as per Class 44s and far too close to the cab door for a 45!

Great looking machine though!

My other will be 64 "Coldstream Guardsman"

I've painted the wheels and the bogie side-frames and numbered her, but other than that, its just as out of the box.

post-31740-0-05038800-1492943449_thumb.jpg

post-31740-0-16297800-1492943540_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Metal lampbrackets are very fragile. If we had done these ourselves we would solder the etch together and add a bit of solder in folded joints to stiffen them up. Unfortunatly the Chinese have not done this. I wonder if it would be prudent to run a bit of superglue on them to stick the folds up?

• RMweb Gold

Here's a pic of one of mine (I bought 2)

Lovely model as you chaps say.

My only (slight) annoyance is the location of the builders plate, which is as per Class 44s and far too close to the cab door for a 45!

Great looking machine though!

Builder's plate is spot on for many Class 45s. See https://photos.smugmug.com/RetrospectiveRail/Retrospective-Class-45/i-SNhwSbd/0/L/45036%2019860517-L.jpg and http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7350/12030876743_d2cf819247.jpg for example (not my photos)

Edit. In fact, looking at this photo (https://photos.smugmug.com/RetrospectiveRail/Retrospective-Class-45/i-bfBSLdq/0/L/45010%2019860517-L.jpg) it looks right for the prototype of your 112.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Builder's plate is spot on for many Class 45s. See https://photos.smugmug.com/RetrospectiveRail/Retrospective-Class-45/i-SNhwSbd/0/L/45036%2019860517-L.jpg and http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7350/12030876743_d2cf819247.jpg for example (not my photos)

Edit. In fact, looking at this photo (https://photos.smugmug.com/RetrospectiveRail/Retrospective-Class-45/i-bfBSLdq/0/L/45010%2019860517-L.jpg) it looks right for the prototype of your 112.

Roy

On those photos the plate that can be seen is the access panel to the split pin on the lazy tongs for the drop light. The builders plate was in a slightly different position. It was slightly near the nose end grill. When the mod was carried ( 1977) out most Peaks lost the builders plates.

Al Taylor.

Edited by 45125

• RMweb Premium

On the two production blue models shown, one has the steps and other bits plated over and one doesn't. Also it looks like one has the inner sand boxes and one doesn't. Are these options you can chose irrespective of the version bought or is the factory weathered version different to the un-weathered?

I'm still hanging on to see the early blue or green production models before I buy but so far I've only seen blue anywhere.

• RMweb Gold

On the two production blue models shown, one has the steps and other bits plated over and one doesn't. Also it looks like one has the inner sand boxes and one doesn't. Are these options you can chose irrespective of the version bought or is the factory weathered version different to the un-weathered?

I'm still hanging on to see the early blue or green production models before I buy but so far I've only seen blue anywhere.

The factory-weathered version is a later prototype - with marker dots in place of head codes.  Thus, as supplied, the steps and a side grill are plated over, as are the boiler filling points on the roof.  I also note that it has the later style data panel.  The pristine version has a head code, and the earlier data panel.  All that is necessary to make it a later version is included in a bad of accessories (panel blanking plates, roof plates and step blanking plates, together with the inner sand boxes for the bogies.  

The instructions concede that the prototype locos sported a myriad detail differences, and that the model is therefore a compromise.  

I don't think the green versions have been released yet.  Though release is imminent.

Hope this helps.

PM 

Same here - the main suppliers have not posted any photos of the production versions yet so I am waiting too - surely it can't be too difficult to put up some pictures of what is up for sale to help speed up sales in particular - it seems to suggest not all suppliers have received the models/all of the models yet perhaps? All very slow....

• RMweb Gold

Same here - the main suppliers have not posted any photos of the production versions yet so I am waiting too - surely it can't be too difficult to put up some pictures of what is up for sale to help speed up sales in particular - it seems to suggest not all suppliers have received the models/all of the models yet perhaps? All very slow....

I've seen a photo of the early blue syp and it does look nice but if I get one I think I'll go for the green, I'd like to see what the economy green looks like though.

Cheers

Absolutely right Brian.

I think that a little bit of superglue is probably the only way they won't get damaged

Metal lampbrackets are very fragile. If we had done these ourselves we would solder the etch together and add a bit of solder in folded joints to stiffen them up. Unfortunatly the Chinese have not done this. I wonder if it would be prudent to run a bit of superglue on them to stick the folds up?