Heljan Class 45 EP sample

MGR Hooper!

Surely the bogies under 4504,should be used under 4501 & 4502. Ref 4 sandboxes per bogie. Reduced to 2 per bogie during refurbishment.Something missed when Mr Heljan came to look at 45149.More interested in split headcode panels at number 2 end.  

The rear sandboxes are supplied by Heljan, but come separately in the little plastic "goody bag"

I couldn't find any reference to Peaks in standard blue livery still having them fitted.

I'm sure that a head-code dot loco wouldn't still have them fitted as you point out for 4504

As far as I can tell, they were removed in the mid/late 60s, leaving 4 big bolt holes in the rear bogie frame side

I can remember asking one of the chaps what had been fitted there when I was doing my apprenticeship at Derby loco in the early 80s, so the rear sandboxes were long gone by then.

• RMweb Gold

I am not going to move to O gauge, I am not going to move to O gauge, I am not going...

They look lovely.

Roy

You will move to O you will move to O.....

Come over to the dark side you'll love it :D

• Like 1

BR blue with head codes just arrived with full yellow ends. To be honest it's Heljans best so far, the model has real presence looks like its straight out of Derby Works. I hope they do more at a later date with different nose ends, oops the RMWeb police will kick me off again for wishlisting - Andy you know who you are! Oh and the bag of bits lets you do loads of versions with grille and step blanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't find any reference to Peaks in standard blue livery still having them fitted.

A few examples on rail-online.co.uk eg 134 in 1968, D114 1969, D118 c1967. Haven't seen anything later than 1969 so far.

Can anyone tell me what comes in the detail pack Please.

Reason for asking is I noticed some pre production models have to small triangle shaped grille plated over and the released model has the grille unplated. I am wondering if there is one in the detail pack.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I am very tempted with one of these beasts. How do they measure up? They look pretty good to be but I am no expert.

Cheers Peter.

I appreciate this may be a contrarian view, but if it looks "right" to you and you like it then does it matter if there are inaccuracies, errors or compromises most would either never notice or not be bothered about? I like good, robust reviews but I have also bought plenty of models panned on boards like this because they looked fine to me and been very happy with them.

I appreciate this may be a contrarian view, but if it looks "right" to you and you like it then does it matter if there are inaccuracies, errors or compromises most would either never notice or not be bothered about? I like good, robust reviews but I have also bought plenty of models panned on boards like this because they looked fine to me and been very happy with them.

I have models which have faults and I am quite happy to live with them. This Heljan Peak does look very good and a few minor faults wouldn't put me off to be honest but It's nice to know. I think the fact that I heaven't seen anything written about the Peak having faults suggests it's a good model, unlike the class 25 with it's flat front.

Cheers Peter.

Can anyone tell me what comes in the detail pack Please.

Reason for asking is I noticed some pre production models have to small triangle shaped grille plated over and the released model has the grille unplated. I am wondering if there is one in the detail pack.

Cheers Peter.

The detail pack has got four inner sandboxes, a full set of four spare lamp brackets (and nose corner mountings), two roof water filler blanking plates, six body side footstep blanking plates, 2 alternative "blanked off" lower bodyside grills (as shown on my photo on here) and two side blanking plates for the bodyside boiler vents (the vertical rectangular vents at No 2. (non radiator) end).   Apart from the sandboxes and lower bodyside blanking plates (which are plastic), everything else is brass.

The detail pack has got four inner sandboxes, a full set of four spare lamp brackets (and nose corner mountings), two roof water filler blanking plates, six body side footstep blanking plates, 2 alternative "blanked off" lower bodyside grills (as shown on my photo on here) and two side blanking plates for the bodyside boiler vents (the vertical rectangular vents at No 2. (non radiator) end).   Apart from the sandboxes and lower bodyside blanking plates (which are plastic), everything else is brass.

Any ETH jumpers included?

I have models which have faults and I am quite happy to live with them. This Heljan Peak does look very good and a few minor faults wouldn't put me off to be honest but It's nice to know. I think the fact that I heaven't seen anything written about the Peak having faults suggests it's a good model, unlike the class 25 with it's flat front.

Cheers Peter.

Derby built 25s had a flat front so Heljan model is right fora Derby built 25.

Norman

Thanks for that, I did wonder if it would be in the detail pack. Looks like I will be saving up for one.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for that, I did wonder if it would be in the detail pack. Looks like I will be saving up for one.

Cheers Peter.

It is a lovely model.

It captures the real thing beautifully..............and I'd forgotten how big they were!

• Like 1

Here is my 45009 on Preston O Gauge Group's layout yesterday at the head of a rake of Heljan stock, I wasn't going to buy a Peak until I saw one at the club last Monday night; somehow I found myself in Hattons on Wednesday buying a weathered blue one!

In my view it is just about Heljan's best so far and difficult to fault. The only problem I have had so far is that only one of the lamp brackets has survived its first outing so I have used the spare ones (which are not a straightforward replacement job), and reinforced the very frail bends with solder. Time will tell....if they don't stand the test of time I shall scratchbuild some new ones out of scrap etch, using thicker brass.

The inner sandboxes have been removed and the places where they came from weathered to match the rest of the bogies. Since these photos were taken, I have removed the boiler steps access steps from Number 2 end bogie. The small lower bodyside grilles have been replaced with the plated over ones that Heljan supply-a very simple job as the factory-fitted ones just push out. A driver has been fitted in each cab too. (Incidentally, the body fixing screws are easy to undo-unlike the 37!)

I like the Heljan weathering but may well add a little more of my own. It looks to me as if the worksplates are etched ones as opposed to the printed ones that might have been expected-a nice touch.

Jeff 

post-12187-0-34741300-1493585722_thumb.jpg

post-12187-0-11777200-1493585751_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I'm so pleased that the reaction to this model is so positive.  I have two of these locos and they are excellent models.  I have spent much of the day fitting sound to my second loco (soon to be 45 144 - complete with JLTRT ETH equipment on the bogies).  I have attached two pics to show my installation for this loco - a bit of butchery required, but all achievable with my mini-cutting discs.  Great sound too. 

post-3981-0-71494200-1493592277_thumb.jpg

post-3981-0-53194400-1493592285_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

What sound file did you use, Howes etc? A nice video would be good to inspire us all! Love the Mk 2 stock behind, I agree this is a great loco and a good example of what Heljan can achieve. I'm thinking there will be more versions in time with different noses even Class 44 and 46 will be possible.

• RMweb Gold

What sound file did you use, Howes etc? A nice video would be good to inspire us all! Love the Mk 2 stock behind, I agree this is a great loco and a good example of what Heljan can achieve. I'm thinking there will be more versions in time with different noses even Class 44 and 46 will be possible.

I like my locos to sound different, so I have Legomanbiffo's recording in one, and Southwest Digital in the other.  Both are excellent, but I think Legomanbiffo has the edge.  I will do a recording next weekend, when I am back in Kent.

I agree about the head codes.  I'd love a proper split box, as well as the modern marker lights.  Is that greedy of me?!

I like my locos to sound different, so I have Legomanbiffo's recording in one, and Southwest Digital in the other.  Both are excellent, but I think Legomanbiffo has the edge.  I will do a recording next weekend, when I am back in Kent.

I agree about the head codes.  I'd love a proper split box, as well as the modern marker lights.  Is that greedy of me?!

Hi

I notice that you have used a ESU Loksound XL decoder.  Did you consider using the new Loksound L and do you think it will fit in the space available?

Norman

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I notice that you have used a ESU Loksound XL decoder.  Did you consider using the new Loksound L and do you think it will fit in the space available?

Norman

Hi Norman

I think that the Loksound L decoder is misnamed.  It has very different dimensions to the XL (I am not near my train so can't measure one, but, in summary, it is longer, but thinner than the XL).  You will notice that I have reduced the footprint of my XL decoder in my Peaks by removing the two tabs which describe each of the terminals (they are designed to snap off).  That is not an option on the L, which must instead be plugged into a terminal board (to which the various connections must be soldered).  The plugs themselves are chunky, and so the whole thing requires quite a lot of height as well.  I suspect that you could fit a Loksound L in the space currently occupied by the larger of the two speakers in my Peaks, but that leaves no room for a chunky speaker to show off the best parts of whichever recording you have selected.  Thus, at present, I have confined my use of the Loksound L to my pair of class 20s, which have restricted width within the body.  

Hope this helps

Peter

Hi Norman

I think that the Loksound L decoder is misnamed.  It has very different dimensions to the XL (I am not near my train so can't measure one, but, in summary, it is longer, but thinner than the XL).  You will notice that I have reduced the footprint of my XL decoder in my Peaks by removing the two tabs which describe each of the terminals (they are designed to snap off).  That is not an option on the L, which must instead be plugged into a terminal board (to which the various connections must be soldered).  The plugs themselves are chunky, and so the whole thing requires quite a lot of height as well.  I suspect that you could fit a Loksound L in the space currently occupied by the larger of the two speakers in my Peaks, but that leaves no room for a chunky speaker to show off the best parts of whichever recording you have selected.  Thus, at present, I have confined my use of the Loksound L to my pair of class 20s, which have restricted width within the body.  

Hope this helps

Peter

Hi Peter

Surely the L is so named because it is lower rated than an XL and is particularly targeted at twin motor O gauge locos. I have installed one in a class 37 and a Hymek and can confirm the installation went very well.  The drawback for the L is the height because it piggy backs on a breakout board but as long as it will fit it is my first choice due to the considerable economy achieved. For me as long as the sound project quality is good I do not require high volume from big speakers.

Norman