NEED HELP IN MAKING LIGHTS WORK ON Hornby 08 CONVERSION

locospotter

Just finished installing a Zimo sound decoder with express lighing kit can get cab light and front light and rear light when reversing but no red lights as there is no function available as all allocated to sounds can anyone help with this as I know quite a few people have done this one which was a Paul Chetter from Digitrains project

Just finished installing a Zimo sound decoder with express lighing kit can get cab light and front light and rear light when reversing but no red lights as there is no function available as all allocated to sounds can anyone help with this as I know quite a few people have done this one which was a Paul Chetter from Digitrains project

I've just spent most of the evening until o230 this morning trying to fit body back on this Hornby 08 shunter it's fitted with Zimo sound decoder and sugar cube speaker and express lighting kit but with all the wiring I cannot get the body on. If anyone knows how to do it please let me into the secret otherwise it might end up being scrapped.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Locospotter,

Doing the sound and lights conversion on the Hornby 08 is always a challenge.

First though - can I ask if you used the Express Models kit as supplied?

Did you use the connection socket arragement to connect everything to the decoder?

I've done 5 with lights and sound but I used 7 of the light kits in the process!

OK - the first one was the main obstacle and reason why I used more lighting kits.

This was because I used the connector strip and this ate into the space available for the wires.

As a result I either trapped and broke the wires at the connector or shorted things out on the connector when I tried to put the body back on.

The shorting of the wires caused some of the LED's to blow which is why I used more kits than expected.

On later conversions I had done away with the connector set up and run the wires direct from the decoder to the LED's.

When doing this I use longer wires than are supplied.

This enabled me to run the wires up to the roof of the body and get them up, out of the way and then only bringing them down at the decoder position to connect up.

Thanks

I have always used the excellent kits as supplied by 'Stickswipe' on Ebay and never had an issue. I find it easier to remove Hornby's dcc socket, and hard wire everything in. The space created allows the chip to be comfortably located. You shouldn't have any issues with additional functions...I'm sure the Zimos come with 10 or so. Can't remember if they are wired or you need to solder leads to the solder pads. I'm sure Mr Chetter will be along soon to confirm.

Archived