Weekend Diversion

Chris.D

• RMweb Gold

I have spend many months trying to come up with layout which will fit in a space of 11ft by 6ft, which would be interesting to operate and have a track plan that looks fairly realistic as well. To begin with, I had the idea of a terminus station, but the operation aspect of it didn't really appeal to me too much, as a train would arrive and then depart, with a possibility of a loco swap. Then my next big idea was Edinburgh, but with a twist, with the track plan like a ‘dogbone’ so the train would of passed through the station in one direction on a continuous loop. The main problem with attempting to do that idea, was the lack of space of the loops that would of been required. Other possibilities that I thought about doing was a depot layout, in particular Neville Hill H.S.T sheds so I could incorporate the iconic turntable, but again, space was a major issue along with not conveying the size of the depot convincingly.

A few more months past with researching different layouts via google and also real railways to get inspiration on youtube and google earth, until I came up with my latest idea which would offer operational interest, realistic track plan and also an idea I haven't seen before.

weekenddiversion.png

Red/pinky line - Mainline with 25Kv O.H.L

Orange line - Sidings with 25Kv O.H.L

Blue - Secondary Mainline/Diversion route

The idea of the layout is that the mainline is closed due to engineering work, so nearly all services are being diverted. This would enable a electric hauled train to arrive at the station, depending on the service/era the diesel loco would replace/couple up to the train and then 'drag' it around the diversion route to continue its journey. However, some services would terminate at the station and then reverse back in or alternately park up in the sidings for a period of time, until it forms another service.

All comments welcome on what you think and how I could improve it :)

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Clever idea with some interesting possibilities.

I'd assume you would want a bridge or something over the 25kV mainline bottom left to suggest it's carrying on "off scene".

My one worry is the curve where the platforms are - it's a bit tight, you would get a lot of overhang with full length coaches so the gaps between platforms & coaches would look huge. Perhaps you could push the pointwork along to the left a little & start the curve straight after the points? And / or just have the first part of the platforms showing with another bridge to hide the rest of the station & have a tighter curve on that "off stage" area.

Just my ideas of course - it's your decision wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments :)

Like the idea of diversions etc, will you be having more storage roads/cassettes/traverser off scene so you can run more trains?

Simon, where the white lines are, is where the sorage/fiddle yard/cassettes will be, but this present time I havent decided on which storage method to use.

Clever idea with some interesting possibilities.

I'd assume you would want a bridge or something over the 25kV mainline bottom left to suggest it's carrying on "off scene".

My one worry is the curve where the platforms are - it's a bit tight, you would get a lot of overhang with full length coaches so the gaps between platforms & coaches would look huge. Perhaps you could push the pointwork along to the left a little & start the curve straight after the points? And / or just have the first part of the platforms showing with another bridge to hide the rest of the station & have a tighter curve on that "off stage" area.

Just my ideas of course - it's your decision Posted Image

Rich, my only idea of how to carry it 'off scene' was maybe to show the start of the possession, with the stop boards on the rail/in the 4ft, but a bridge might work better. Reguarding the station I am planning on having just the first part of the station showing, just enough for the diesel loco, electric loco and part of a carriage, which should show enough of the train without showing the tight curves.

Cheers

Chris

I like the idea. Definatly one for attractive viewing.

Just a thought however. Wouldn't the loco attach to the stock at a bigger station with platforms spare should a problem occour rather than a more "secondary" station on the route? I'm not intending to bring down the idea, like I say, I like it, rather just noticed things from the prototype.

• RMweb Gold
Just a thought however. Wouldn't the loco attach to the stock at a bigger station with platforms spare should a problem occour rather than a more "secondary" station on the route? I'm not intending to bring down the idea, like I say, I like it, rather just noticed things from the prototype.

That thought did cross my mind of having a bigger station, but while designing it was a struggle to incorporate anything bigger then the two plateforms and still show enough of the station for the attachment of another loco.

Like you said, it would make it look more realistic and also would help with storage aswell.

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

This is a great idea and one that allows you to create a layout with a really good operational twist.

I have to say that the reason I really like your plan is that I too had a very similar armchair planning idea a while back of creating a layout with the main line closed for engineering. But I had not thought of including loco exchanges at the station as an idea; this would certainly add to the operational interest.

Looking at your plan I have to say that it could so very well be Northallerton? This station has a 25kv main line, electrified sidings, a non-electrified secondary line and a very similar track plan.

I have always like Northallerton as a track plan and once upon a time it was a great junction station; unfortunately so much has been ripped out and demolished with much going with the advent of the electrification of the ECML. The station masters house was finally knocked down a couple of years ago.

One of the things I liked about the location was the split level scenic opportunity with the low level freight avoidance line. The station also had extensive main line, secondary and branch workings for both passenger and freight. It even boasted a loco depot once. I think one of the operation aspects that attracted me to the station was the fact that it used to have 2 bay platforms in opposing directions, one for the Hawes Branch line and the other for the Ripon and Leeds line - Leeds Northallerton Railway

Here is my version of the track plan that I was playing around with which may be of use to you. Please feel free to use.

post-4412-126857893308_thumb.jpg

It is sort of circa 1960, but I would have applied some modelers and history license to it and kept the Ripon line open and the Wensledale line as a preserved line – allowing for an excuses to have steam trains at the station. I was going to set the layout circa 1980 with electrification just starting to be constructed and so hence the reason for the engineering line blockages. I guess though this for me will always be a pipe dream due to the shear size of the layout!!

Anyway back to your plan, I think your idea is very cleaver, but I have to agree with Sam 43003 on the station being used as a loco exchange location is a tad difficult to justify with only two platforms. If somehow you could create the illusion that there are more platforms off scene then you might be able to get away with it. Could you push the platforms further round anticlockwise onto the 6 foot side? I say this as I note that the track radius you have at your platform is around 2ft, I think this is rather tight.

One thought I have had is would there be any option of double stacking your layout, figure of eight style? If so, you could have your stock storage fiddle yard under the main scenic board at the bottom of the plan, then this would allowing for more gradual radiuses and open scenery at each end of the layout? Just an idea.

Anyway Chris I really look forward to seeing you develop this plan.

Regards Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks Paul, for the information on Northallerton, it certainly does have good potential as a model, but unfortunately I haven't got the space available for it. With your suggestion of having the layout 'stacked', I did look into this, but the gradients I would have to had, would of meant that the trains would of struggled to get up it.

After reading all the comments, it appeared that the main area which needed improvement was the station with the radius of the curve and also the un-prototypical size for its operation. After many evenings of playing around with the design, I have revised the track plan and here’s the latest:-

post-1067-127048024894_thumb.png

Comments are more than welcome.

Cheers

Chris

Archived