Agenoria RSH 0-6-0 in 4mm

Sometimes a little bit of Brasso on your gears helps.

Dab some on, run it for a little while and then clean the Brasso off thoroughly, if your have any snags on the gears this will clear it out.

Sage words, Boris - went back to my Rice chassis handbook at around the same time as your post, and saw a similar comment.

This, and some judicious lubrication, and video of the results is in:

. 30 r.p.m. with no signs of stiffness.

(The BluTack is there to keep to motor at the oriention it will sit at inside the firebox as the top of the exposed shaft only just clears the underside of the safety valve casting.)

On the home straight now! :danced:

• 2 weeks later...

Fox warning stripe decals added:

gallery_2175_275_66486.jpg

Draincocks attached; body gloss-coated ready for some lining to the tank, and the Narrow Planet nameplates. A few other gubbins and details to add, too - but will be ready before year's end.

(The cab roof is just balanced for the photo - hence the gap.)

• RMweb Premium

Looks to be running nice and smoothly. Is it my eyes or is the cylinder on the left horizontal while the one on the right (correctly?) is angled to point at the centre of the centre driver?

Looks to be running nice and smoothly. Is it my eyes or is the cylinder on the left horizontal while the one on the right (correctly?) is angled to point at the centre of the centre driver?

The cylinder is okay - as are your eyes - but yes, the slide bars on the L/H cylinder are not inclined to the same degree as the R/H side. I may give them a "tweak" down, but will see how much it annoys me when the build is almost done - I'm loathe to disturb the motion now it is running nice and smoothly.

An observation and certainly not a critism, but I believed when the warning stripes were painted on the real thing, they extended over the buffer beams front and back and rather oddly in look, the smokebox door and surround.

Certainly a fair call, and actually one that a fellow modeller where I work was also quick to question. Not that I used this as inspiration - my livery is 100% ficticious, so therefore 100% accurate ( :P ) - but there are precedents for dazzle stripes on the tank front out there:

5684091841_946f6f8092_z.jpg

It makes me smile that something I just thought of as "natural" and "obvious" actually isn't that common - there certainly are many more exapmles of the buffer beam striping out there than there are of tank striping.

A few nights ago I wrestled the lining on - I drew it using a bowpen on decal film, and then cut-and-shut to suit. Very happy with the result of that exercise - I think it "lifts" the whole job into something quite believeable. Attached the nameplate with a dab of varnish - just the little details to go now....

gallery_2175_275_16568.jpg

Well, all good things come to an end - and so here we are. I added the finished touches to the loco on the weekend, and took her outside for a photo session:

gallery_8688_1830_58732.jpg

Ultimately, I did tweak those slide bars with no ill effects.

gallery_8688_1830_73575.jpg

The keen-eyed will also notice the missing lubricator wheel, that went AWOL just before I was ready to head outside. I'll sort out a new one over the holiday break.

gallery_8688_1830_51961.jpg

And I was supposed to fill in those Romford nuts with Blutack before I painted the wheel centres.

gallery_8688_1830_147113.jpg

I'll fit Kadees through those buffer beam cut outs when I have a layout to run her on.

So there it is. Plenty wrong with it, for sure (Do we really need to make a list? I don't think so...) The main thing is, if I can live with the result, then I'm a happy camper. And that's what's important. What I do know is that I've improved myself in the time this build has been going, and that is what matters to me - being prepared to push your limits and try things you never have before.

I see there are 14 people who actually follow this thread - to those faithful, I offer my thanks and hope it's been worth the ride.

To the visitors who stopped by and offered encouragement and advice, I thank you, too for your interest and time.

To those of you who stopped by, but didn't comment, may I make an observation: most people like to hear what others think - especially if you can be postive and supportive. So if you take the time to look at someone's work, then please think about leaving a morale boosting comment - or at least clicking the "like" button. For those of us who are still learning the ropes, those "pats on the back" are worth more than you can imagine. I never wrote this thread as a "I'm learning and need your help" but more of a "I'm an average modeller, and here's how I'm going" exercise so that more people like me would be less afraid to pick up the tools and have a go. Inspirational / Aspirational, depending on your state of mind. It's the sort of thread I wish there was more of on RMWeb.

My own thoughts on this exercise? Well the kit certainly fits together well, and the instructions are comprehensive. The service from both Pete Stamper, whom I bought the kit back in 2002, and Roger Slade from CSP (who now market the kit) is excellent, and I can't fault their williness to help. Being an reduction from a 7mm kit, there are some areas that are tricky for anyone new to kitbuilding, but there should be no question this is a quality product. If I can make it look half reasonable, which I think I have, then it must be okay. My only caveat would be that it is a small prototype, and that in itself makes construction tricky at times. More of these small industrial locos should be out there - they are loaded with character and a better physical fit for both large and small layouts than so many of the more glamourous main line locos that fill the shelves.

And with that, I wish you a Merry Christmas, and a happy and prosperous 2012.

Jukebox.

It's threads like this I really love.

I'm one of those people who have been silently watching. Actually I don't like to clutter up threads with "looking good" statements as I think it dilutes the real content.

But really this has been a very inspirational build. It's been really good to read your very honest posts, and all the helpful suggestions others have posted.

I'm now looking forward to your next build.

In the mean time, I feel motivated to resurrect a stalled build I'm doing which I haven't touched for over a year.

So thank you. I think you should be very proud of what you have achieved.

A nice job to be proud of Jukebox.

Has the fireman gone to get the tea?

And your next project is?

What is the building in the background?

A Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year to You.

Gordon A

Bristol

Thanks very much for your support throughout, Gordon - as one of the (very) early commenters on this thread, it was partly a sense of debt to yourself and those others that have been here from 2010, that I persevered with postings when I re-found my modelling mojo earlier this year. I'm glad to be able to bring this to a satisfactory conclusion.

Fireman? No doubt he's just out of shot getting ready to couple up a rake of 24T iron ore hoppers...

Next project? Completing the part-built Proscale P2 that has been langushing on my shelf. There's some shots of the nearly complete body in a P2 thread back on RMWeb2, I think...

The building in the background is the N.E.R's Northmoor Shed (51M?) in Stockrington, part way between Stockton and Darlington... ;-) ;)

In reality it's a two-sided, six-track, non-working diorama that I built so I had somewhere to pose my models. It's made from a DPM power station kit, that I freelanced into the side of a workshop. Being two sided, I can sit the whole lot on a wheel barrow in my back yard, and move it around until I get the sun in just the right spot. If you check my galleries you'll see it's the same scene behind my DJH 71000 - although I shot that in the late afternoon to try and get softer shadows and "glint". I was pressed for time with the Agenoria, and so shifted into the shade (where the results are arguably better, anyway).

By this time next year I will have a dedicated layout room, and both Stockrington Station, and Northmoor Shed will be on their way to being a reality... watch this space, as they say.

It's threads like this I really love.

I'm one of those people who have been silently watching. Actually I don't like to clutter up threads with "looking good" statements as I think it dilutes the real content.

But really this has been a very inspirational build. It's been really good to read your very honest posts, and all the helpful suggestions others have posted.

I'm now looking forward to your next build.

In the mean time, I feel motivated to resurrect a stalled build I'm doing which I haven't touched for over a year.

So thank you. I think you should be very proud of what you have achieved.

And again, my sincerest thanks. One of the problems with the printed modelling press is that we generally see a sanitised version of history - so, for instance, when a newcomer gets to the part where the motion is slid onto crankpins on a chassis, and it doesn't run, he can't understand why. If he's lucky, he'll find a reference on this site, or maybe get a hold of Mr Rice's tome, and that will be a help. But if he doesn't, he's left with a sense that he's doing something wrong, and gives up. So the spirit I hope I captured in this build was one of progression and problem solving. There's no reason we can't see more "how I did it" threads here - but it certainly does take a little more effort to do. I think it's up to us as modellers to share these skills and make more people better - and for me it was a useful way to repay Andy for providing this venue to begin with.

*And a thank you too to Andy Y, Adam, boogaloo Arthur, LH&JC, Kenton and ianmaccormac for stopping by!*

And thank you for sharing this build, it's always good to see difficulties worked through and resolved and the end result is an impressive looking beast. You rightly point out that, for any builder, the faults are obvious; to the lay observer, less so.

Adam

Archived