Railfreight carry British steel of any steel

Steel from British Steel plants was carried on a variety of wagons during the BR Railfreight era.

Wagons such as the SKA, and SPA certainly carried steel wire in coil form from South Wales to the Midlands during the 80s and 90s.

Ferry wagons were also used to move steel wire in coil form. I seem to recall these were specially branded. Not sure of the exact wording but "Scunthorpe Rod Mill" sounds right

Strip coil was also moved on variety of bogie wagons such as the BAA and similar It could also be found on SPA wagons and usually sheeted over.

Bar and slab steel were carried on wagons like the BDA and even the SPA.

Then of course there were pipes, steel sections, blooms and billets which tended to be carried on bogie wagons of various descriptions, although I can't recall the TOPS codes off the top on my head.

Andy

• Like 1

Hello everyone

BR Railfreight carry British steel of any steel by carry from rolling freight stock

BAA, OAA, OBA, OCA, SAA, VAA, VDA, VEA has been carried any steel ?

Thank you

The first five types you list were all used for steel traffic; the first OBA was a conversion of an OAA with higher ends, and intended for tube traffic for Corby. The SAAs had a brief, and somewhat chequered, career as steel-carriers- one traffic they worked was steel coil from Ravenscraig to Trostre- before being transferred to other duties. These included duties as Match Wagons with BDAs for long sections from Scunthorpe and Shelton Bar.

Of the three types of van you list, the VEAs were used exclusively for MoD traffic. The other two may have seen use on tinplate coil traffic from Trostre and Ebbw Vale, though the VCA was the preferred type for this.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 13/07/2016 at 12:26, class37418stag said:

Hello everyone

BR Railfreight carry British steel of any steel by carry from rolling freight stock

BAA, OAA, OBA, OCA, SAA, VAA, VDA, VEA has been carried any steel ?

Thank you

The only type there that I've never heard of carrying steel is the VEA. The SAA only had a brief career as steel carriers, despite being expressly designed for the traffic, and mainly became FPA container carries and match wagons.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, class37418stag said:

Hello everyone 

please excuse my English 

scrap slab steel on BAA wagon ?

i know new slab steel on BAA for customers or British steel 

Scrap steel and metals was carried in POA wagons. Steel slabs on BDAs, BBAs and BAAs. Probably some other flat wagons used. BBAs and BAAs were used for a variety of steel products.

What time period are you interested in?

4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The only type there that I've never heard of carrying steel is the VEA. The SAA only had a brief career as steel carriers, despite being expressly designed for the traffic, and mainly became FPA container carries and match wagons.

Brian Don't overlook the KTA conversion of SAA https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/kta

Paul