A bit of a project within a project, I am making a set of DMU undergubbins with the class 100 in mind, but probably useful for other units, hence they will be used to cast resin copies. First off, an approximation of an AEC (BUT) power unit, or at least the visible half.

20210126_205305.jpg.b978614557c527d63b05e9590696feaf.jpg

Due to limitations of the mould making process, the main exhaust pipe will have to be made from wire or rod and added across the outlets with epoxy resin. Not sure what the other side beyond the crank shaft looks like - I'm guessing a fairly plain crankshaft case - as it's not usually visible in photos, so my work of pure imagination is seen on the left here, and subject to change:

20210126_212228.jpg.901a3c1721571780e8f6cc4bb6d68b05.jpg

so it will be a compromise (ie 2 half castings which butt together along the crankshaft line), but will at least hopefully avoid a flat look from the other side, if it can be seen. 

I'm not going to go to town on the other drive shaft components, torque converter etc though as these could be made from bits of tube, rod etc, but these would not be particularly visible in any case.

I will be doing a battery box and some of the electrical boxes, air intake grilles etc too.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

7 hours ago, MJI said:

You may have a customer for some

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am second in the queue.

2 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Those engines for the DMUs look fun. Good luck.

Ps-add me to the list lol

Thanks for the vote of confidence all.

If all goes to plan I should be able to make a batch, I know from previous experience that air bubbles are the biggest issue in casting with resin so we will have to wait and see if decent castings result. I intend to make one mold with all the associated bits, nothing commercial is being copied for the masters so I'd be happy to do extras.

Just keep in mind no scale drawings have been abused in producing the masters!

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

I'd be interested too please :)

Just a thought, I've successfully used two-part car body filler 'pressed' into a mould before now. That tends to eliminate bubbles and is essentially the same polyester type material.

Rgds,

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am currently investigating the underpinnings of Swindon DMUs and it also looks like bogie frames are their own thing as well.

This latest one will use modified Triang floors and roofs with stripped chassis.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MJI said:

I am currently investigating the underpinnings of Swindon DMUs and it also looks like bogie frames are their own thing as well.

The Trix 'Trans Pennine' bogies are of the correct Swindon pattern and, perhaps surprisingly, 4mm scale wheelbase (34mm).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 minutes ago, MJI said:

I had a lesson on resin casting and the most important tool is  fine piece of wire to poke bubbles out with.

Was chap who did V2 bodies.

Even better is a vacuum pump - one can easily be made using a car 'oil extractor' pump attached to a non-compressible vessel which will fit over the mould and create a seal with the surface it's sitting on.

e.g. https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/brass-sump-pump-2388.html

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

The Trix 'Trans Pennine' bogies are of the correct Swindon pattern and, perhaps surprisingly, 4mm scale wheelbase (34mm).

Can they be found anywhere?

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

1 minute ago, MJI said:

Can they be found anywhere?

Dapol spares?

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence all.

If all goes to plan I should be able to make a batch, I know from previous experience that air bubbles are the biggest issue in casting with resin so we will have to wait and see if decent castings result. I intend to make one mold with all the associated bits, nothing commercial is being copied for the masters so I'd be happy to do extras.

Just keep in mind no scale drawings have been abused in producing the masters!

Cheers,

Martyn.

You can work a lot out from pictures, I managed to get very close to Swindon DMU window sizes from pictures, mine are definitely within 0.5mm

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Just a thought, I've successfully used two-part car body filler 'pressed' into a mould before now. That tends to eliminate bubbles and is essentially the same polyester type material.

Rgds,

Except most resin casting is done with polyurethane and not polyester resin!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Rgds,

I did once try that myself, with pretty mixed results, and similarly using Milliput. Casting resin has the consistency of water and flows around all the small detail, but small air bubbles can get trapped during pouring hence it needs poking around with a piece of wire into all the nooks and crannies to remove them, hopefully without damaging the mould, before it starts to cure.

5 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

It's a pity they didn't fit them to their matching "pseudo Trans Pennine" Mk.1 coaches, they might have been slightly easier to come by. Might try and pick a Power & Dummy set up if I see one at the right price, when the Toyfairs start up again (might be a while then......).

8 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Pity we cannot convince Dave f of LMS to cast these. Would add useful ballast/mass to our models. I know if he did several of us would gladly purchase some.

I agree, a set (or 2 or 3 different variations) would be great, along with a set of cab end bufferbeam pipework, something else which seems to be unavailable now.

• Agree 1