2 hours ago, Legend said:

Hi Guys 

I don’t think I posted this before on this thread. But just in case anyone interested , Silver Fox are producing kits for 126 Ayrshire and The original Edinburgh & Glasgow sets . They are also producing cab ends . Sorry for taking the easy way out but as well as ordering a kit I’ve ordered cab ends for my Trix coach conversion . I had been worried about how I would achieve the cab ends and this seems an easy way out . Give added impetus to the project now which has occasional bursts of activity ! . 

That's interesting, I hadn't heard about that. The dilemma is if I get one it will no doubt show up the errors on my 2 sets. Hey ho, will have to think about that one!

Good that they are doing them though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Signaller69 said:

That's interesting, I hadn't heard about that. The dilemma is if I get one it will no doubt show up the errors on my 2 sets. Hey ho, will have to think about that one!

Good that they are doing them though.

Or vice versa. The body profile between Swindon and Mark 1 is slightly different. SF use Mark 1 shells.

Also the sides do look a little 2D

Even if it was better than my WR sets or your collection of 126s at least we can say they are ours.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, coronach said:

I drill and solder in brass lacing pins, with the pin heads suitably squeezed using pliers and filed to shape.

1A7704CE-FF13-4930-9F1A-E5EB169D0993.jpeg

Very neat, not much chance of them falling off when handling either! Trying to solder etched hinges into place would fill me with trepidation, but your solution looks more manageable, if I can drill holes in the right places....

3 minutes ago, MJI said:

Or vice versa. The body profile between Swindon and Mark 1 is slightly different. SF use Mark 1 shells.

Also the sides do look a little 2D

Even if it was better than my WR sets or your collection of 126s at least we can say they are ours.

This is true. I used Mk.1s for mine, Trix of course, so the body profile is slightly out. Hopefully SF don't use Mk.1 sized windows.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

This is true. I used Mk.1s for mine, Trix of course, so the body profile is slightly out. Hopefully SF don't use Mk.1 sized windows.

Check their Trans Pennine should be similar to that

8 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

One of the jobs I like least with etched kits is adding door hinges. Just cutting them off the fret without them flying off into thin air is bad enough, but picking the things up and dropping them in exactly the right place on the model I find a particular test of patience. My method for fixing them in place is to place them on the body then use a drop of acrylic varnish as a fixative, using the point of a small paint brush to move the hinge into place.

If anyone knows an easier method I'm all ears!

I pick them up with a new sharp knife blade. I found that if you applied slight pressure the blade cut in and stuck enough to pick each one up. I use a piece of wire to place a small dob of super glue in the required place then put the hinge on top. The slightest wiggle releases the hinge. After priming and top coat no marks are visible where the blade must have cut sligthly into the surface.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

59 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Pedantic point Geoff, but I am almost certain that the Scottish based non corridor Mk1s didn't last long enough to carry blue livery, happy to be proved wrong, and of course rule 1 will apply;)

Jim

Jim,

Fear not, that coach is for my "Dunnington" layout; the DVLR used one with a couple of BR Mk.1s for their steam service in 1977. It just made sense to spray it at the same time as the DMU.

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

16 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Jim,

Fear not, that coach is for my "Dunnington" layout; the DVLR used one with a couple of BR Mk.1s for their steam service in 1977. It just made sense to spray it at the same time as the DMU.

Martyn.

The swapped coach came from yours truly, as I wanted a long one to make a centre car for my 2H unit. Now if I'd known you were going to spray it blue, Martin, I could've sent you a blue one!

Conversely, I should've waited then you could've sprayed the green body, that you sent me, blue as I'll be doing that anyway :)

• Funny 3

3 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

The swapped coach came from yours truly, as I wanted a long one to make a centre car for my 2H unit. Now if I'd known you were going to spray it blue, Martin, I could've sent you a blue one!

Conversely, I should've waited then you could've sprayed the green body, that you sent me, blue as I'll be doing that anyway :)

Indeed it did Andy, thankyou again!

Never mind, had I known you wanted yours in blue I could have done that too!:laugh:

Hey ho!

• Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Talking of Mk.1 suburban stock, I need to check what colour the seating was in the 70s. Will have to dig the Mk.1 "bible" out later.

IIRC it was the black/grey stripey stuff with pastel colour blocks; there is a name for it, but for the life of me I can't remember......

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

Look what I found, at 27:20 :

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

Very enjoyable video, Spalding is a station I am unfamiliar with but it did seem to get some variety back in the day. The Class 100 looks to be 'York Saloon' DB975349 (ex-561116)+DB975539 (ex-56101) which wasn't withdrawn until 1993. 

The class 56 on Presflos looks somewhat odd to me, I thought these wagons were vac braked only but clearly not. 

The 31 shunting the breakdown train made some delightful noise too!

Thanks,

Martyn.

The Class 100 has had glazing and roof water pipes added on the DTC.

20210303_104553.jpg.b87aeb9386538fee571245355301ed71.jpg

20210303_104625.jpg.a9afdc4cf01993fb7bdc2fd996461691.jpg

A simple bar coupling was made from plasticard, which is screwed to the DTC rear bogie. The peg locates in the original bogie coupling fixing hole on the DMBS.

20210303_104906.jpg.976e6c6ab0ac4ed1967897ac60ea01d0.jpg

20210303_104958.jpg.53b0c0f2a12f3b76fcc027ca80ab75f1.jpg

20210303_104820.jpg.be255896146008db0ea63cd91db396da.jpg

Just door handrails & handles, bufferbeam detail and windscreen wipers to add now.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

3 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Gibbo,

Very enjoyable video, Spalding is a station I am unfamiliar with but it did seem to get some variety back in the day. The Class 100 looks to be 'York Saloon' DB975349 (ex-561116)+DB975539 (ex-56101) which wasn't withdrawn until 1993. 

The class 56 on Presflos looks somewhat odd to me, I thought these wagons were vac braked only but clearly not. 

The 31 shunting the breakdown train made some delightful noise too!

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

The Presflo's are the larger variant that were built for transporting fly ash from power stations, the ash is used for building blocks and gypsum plaster boards. The hopper body is two panels longer and they run on a 12' 6" wheel base frame set which is 18' 6" over headstocks.

There were both vacuum and air braked versions classed as CSV and CSA, see below:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brflyashpresflocsv/hbed8c95#hbed8c95

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brflyashcsa

Here is one I built earlier:

DSCF0683.JPG.84663033ec1d801c57b2ae3c9d135d17.JPG

I did a drawing for a 3d print for one but my assistant hasn't got around to translating it to CAD yet with things being as they are.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

The Presflo's are the larger variant that were built for transporting fly ash from power stations, the ash is used for building blocks and gypsum plaster boards. The hopper body is two panels longer and they run on a 12' 6" wheel base frame set which is 18' 6" over headstocks.

There were both vacuum and air braked versions classed as CSV and CSA, see below:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brflyashpresflocsv/hbed8c95#hbed8c95

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brflyashcsa

Here is one I built earlier:

DSCF0683.JPG.84663033ec1d801c57b2ae3c9d135d17.JPG

I did a drawing for a 3d print for one but my assistant hasn't got around to translating it to CAD yet with things being as they are.

Gibbo.

Thanks for that Gibbo. My first thought was they could be fly ash hoppers but (on my phone) they looked like "standard sized" Presflos, obviously I was deceived!

Cheers,

Martyn.

As a break from the DMU, I tackled lowering a Hornby class 25 today; regulars may recall I rebuilt the fuel tank area a while back, along with rebuilding the trailing bogie, but it still sat too high, despite closing the gap between bogies and chassis (by removing the odd off-centre trailing bogie moulded pivot, and the top of the bogie locating lugs) . I have seen comments that 25's "don't have solebars" as such, and that this is why the 25 body sits too high; the obvious solution is to lower the body on the chassis/ solebars. This means losing the clear Hornby glazing insert, but I had already done this when flush glazing was fitted.

Inside the body, 1mm or so was trimmed from the bottom of the 4 cab doors, with, on the chassis, a similar amount of "flat" bufferbeam removed above the buffers, to match the upper chassis front profile, in order that it sits higher inside the bottom edge of the cab. The 4 lugs which locate in the cab doors were also removed. And that's about it.

Once test fitted, the body was fixed back in place with a couple of small spots of epoxy resin on the chassis sides (enough to hold it in place but not make it impossible to get the body off in future if need be - bearing in mind the power and trailing bogies simply pull out for maintainence). Visually it looks a lot better now and matches my SLW class 24 in height (if not the fine detail or finish!)

20210303_194052.jpg.c5ab79f32c1551c0a87880b79aecab0f.jpg

20210303_212942.jpg.d97af4cb01b1caab1d64225453131d4e.jpg

20210303_212906.jpg.29f40323cc27b45dba92e0c616dc7e64.jpg

Some touching in of paint was also done whilst the loco was on the bench, all in all quite a pleasant diversion. I do have a soft spot for the Hornby 25 and could see me doing more of them in a similar fashion.

• Like 9