4 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

The RCTS site threw this very useful 1969 image up:

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/other/hA87455F4#ha87455f4

Which clearly shows the blue "PLASSER DUOMATIC" lettering, also a large red warning sign by the cab door; again not sure of the wording on the latter, though other photos from this period on a variety of machines show the same sign.

Found it. The large red warning sign by the cab door reads "DANGER / NO SMOKING / OR / NAKED LIGHTS" and seems to have been a common sign across many such machines. 

• Like 3

Hi Martyn,

I would suggest that with regard to transfers and lettering most of the lettering is applied according to guidelines rather than exact set positions.

Certain notices are placed near to where they apply and numbers are generally placed somewhere obvious. Should a tamper get a depot repaint then when reapplying numbers the painters would put them back where they were originally but only if they remembered the exact spot to start with. When new there would have been differences in styles of application even within the same batch as built, separate batches and one offs different again.

The other thing is that vinyl stickers would be used as available and different batches could well be of different styles from machines repainted at a similar time. When not available they would be masked off and painted around, at least the style and position would be the same.

It is likely that there is no set answer for the transfers for whatever you choose and once finished you will find a contradictory photograph shewing otherwise.

Gibbo.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

An absolutely superb bit of modelling.

Glad you got it finished before AccuraBachHornHel bring out the RTR version!

Mike.

Thankyou Mike, hopefully I'm fairly safe with this particular subject but never say never!

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

I would suggest that with regard to transfers and lettering most of the lettering is applied according to guidelines rather than exact set positions.

Certain notices are placed near to where they apply and numbers are generally placed somewhere obvious. Should a tamper get a depot repaint then when reapplying numbers the painters would put them back where they were originally but only if they remembered the exact spot to start with. When new there would have been differences in styles of application even within the same batch as built, separate batches and one offs different again.

The other thing is that vinyl stickers would be used as available and different batches could well be of different styles from machines repainted at a similar time. When not available they would be masked off and painted around, at least the style and position would be the same.

It is likely that there is no set answer for the transfers for whatever you choose and once finished you will find a contradictory photograph shewing otherwise.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo, yes I would imagine there were guidelines for lettering/signs etc, photos do show some commonality in this respect, but positioning varied even on similar types, eg the red warning signs appear to have been metal and riveted or screwed into place and were always near access doors but sometimes just under windows and others lower down, with the running number above it. A photo of an earlier version shows the sign on what appears to be plywood where there was formerly a window, with another different type of machine with one mounted on a handrail due to lack of space on the cab sides. In the photo of the particular one I have based mine on, the number is barely visible above the red sign and on another is not visible at all; numbering (black presumably) could be applied straight onto the yellow, or white on a black panel as per wagons of the time. 

I'm not sure the word "standardisation" applies greatly to these older machines, finding photos of 2 which are exactly the same is an achievement in itself; I expect they were built to order in very small batches to the specs requested by the buyer.

Anyway I have knocked up some transfers on the PC, with size, colour and style variations,  they have just been sealed so will probably be applied later today or tomorrow. The fonts are not spot on but should be close enough for my needs.

20200428_104238.jpg.f6140af27ba58c53f33fecd7de719d7f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Thanks all for all the recent comments and reactions, it is appreciated hugely, particularly in the current situation.

I am (probably with good reason) somewhat unmotivated as to what to do next, project wise. I still have "Auld Reekie" to complete (over on the Crinan thread) and the Class 100 DMU to start (no further forward with this as yet) and a few other builds so it's not simply a case of having "nothing to do". I can't  currently access Crinan to carry out work as it is down at the MRC. I have Dunnington at home but just don't feel motivated to do anything on it, or even run trains currently. I am missing visiting shows and Toyfairs though as I find these always provide good value projects and motivation, unlike Ebay, well the prices being asked for stuff are obscene, (and let us not even go into the prices of new releases, which I VERY rarely bother with now, let alone the issue of where they are made).

I even have a couple of odd baseboards at home which could form the basis of a "lockdown micro", along with some spare track, but what to do?

I can find little enthusiasm for "virtual" exhibitions (or anything else "virtual" for that matter, with odd exceptions such as RMweb). It is important to say I don't feel miserable or "depressed" outside of the current conditions, just lacking in modelling mojo, as I'm sure many others are.

However I'm sure these feelings will pass and enthusiasm will return, along with some semblance of normality eventually; I'm equally sure others have similar thoughts.

I hope this doesn't come across as a rant, it isn't meant to be. Just a passing malaise.

Stay safe all.

Martyn.

• Friendly/supportive 9

15 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks all for all the recent comments and reactions, it is appreciated hugely, particularly in the current situation.

I am (probably with good reason) somewhat unmotivated as to what to do next, project wise. I still have "Auld Reekie" to complete (over on the Crinan thread) and the Class 100 DMU to start (no further forward with this as yet) and a few other builds so it's not simply a case of having "nothing to do". I can't  currently access Crinan to carry out work as it is down at the MRC. I have Dunnington at home but just don't feel motivated to do anything on it, or even run trains currently. I am missing visiting shows and Toyfairs though as I find these always provide good value projects and motivation, unlike Ebay, well the prices being asked for stuff are obscene, (and let us not even go into the prices of new releases, which I VERY rarely bother with now, let alone the issue of where they are made).

I even have a couple of odd baseboards at home which could form the basis of a "lockdown micro", along with some spare track, but what to do?

I can find little enthusiasm for "virtual" exhibitions (or anything else "virtual" for that matter, with odd exceptions such as RMweb). It is important to say I don't feel miserable or "depressed" outside of the current conditions, just lacking in modelling mojo, as I'm sure many others are.

However I'm sure these feelings will pass and enthusiasm will return, along with some semblance of normality eventually; I'm equally sure others have similar thoughts.

I hope this doesn't come across as a rant, it isn't meant to be. Just a passing malaise.

Stay safe all.

Martyn.

Morning Martyn, you definitely  aren't alone in this state of malaise  it seems to me lot of people are feeling this, the skeleton crew in my office all seem to like this me included. Its probably the underlying sub conscious stress of this weird situation we are all in. Im finding whatever i do im not getting too enthused, work, models etc. Im sure itl pass over, hopefully Sunday may see some relaxing of the rules so we can visit friends and family again. I cant wait to get back to my layout..

As for Ebay, theres still some half decent deals out there but it is getting silly, saw 12 Hornby HAA hoppers go for just shy of 200 quid this week! I dont think they were even the latest tooling....i can remember seeing them at toyfairs for a couple of quid each, should have bought some then!

All the best

James

• Friendly/supportive 2

33 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Morning Martyn, you definitely  aren't alone in this state of malaise  it seems to me lot of people are feeling this, the skeleton crew in my office all seem to like this me included. Its probably the underlying sub conscious stress of this weird situation we are all in. Im finding whatever i do im not getting too enthused, work, models etc. Im sure itl pass over, hopefully Sunday may see some relaxing of the rules so we can visit friends and family again. I cant wait to get back to my layout..

As for Ebay, theres still some half decent deals out there but it is getting silly, saw 12 Hornby HAA hoppers go for just shy of 200 quid this week! I dont think they were even the latest tooling....i can remember seeing them at toyfairs for a couple of quid each, should have bought some then!

All the best

James

Hi James, thanks for that, I expect it is a widespread feeling as you say. I am also still working, but have more potential modelling time at home due to not going out much of course. Perhaps when we are busy we just appreciate our modelling time more? 

I have picked up several Bachmann class 24/25s at toyfairs for £35-£40, which seems the going rate in recent times, one I looked at on Ebay went for £95! Crackers. Always seem to be lots of MGR wagons as you say, usually around £5-£6. Perhaps the fact there are no Toyfairs currently is pushing online prices up but I'm happy to wait. I agree the odd decent price on RTR can be found but they seem few and far between from what I've seen. Ebay is useful for picking up modelling bits and accessories I have to say.

Take care, 

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James, thanks for that, I expect it is a widespread feeling as you say. I am also still working, but have more potential modelling time at home due to not going out much of course. Perhaps when we are busy we just appreciate our modelling time more? 

I have picked up several Bachmann class 24/25s at toyfairs for £35-£40, which seems the going rate in recent times, one I looked at on Ebay went for £95! Crackers. Always seem to be lots of MGR wagons as you say, usually around £5-£6. Perhaps the fact there are no Toyfairs currently is pushing online prices up but I'm happy to wait. I agree the odd decent price on RTR can be found but they seem few and far between from what I've seen. Ebay is useful for picking up modelling bits and accessories I have to say.

Take care, 

Martyn.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Martyn, i definitely appreciate modelling more when im busy, its a good sort of escape from 'normal' life, and as 'normal' life has sort of ground to a halt the escapism factor is lacking. In fact more modelling time has become the norm so the novelty of modelling time isnt there anymore and its become routine, so perhaps feeling less special.

Ebay is very much a waiting game at the mo, prices seem to go up and down in cycles. I swear freightliner flats and boxes jumped up in price whilst there were a few of us on here fettling them up, perhaps others had seen the threads and had a go themselves? 

Anyway, enjoy the long weekend, looking forward to a few beers and a one man bbq later on.

Take care and hope this malaise will soon pass.

All the best

James

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

*snip*

I am (probably with good reason) somewhat unmotivated as to what to do next, project wise.

*snip*

Stay safe all.

Martyn.

Martyn,

I suggest you put the Duomatic on the layout and give it a good play. There are sure to be some 'tricks' you'd like to be able to do that could form a new project, or it could jog a memory of another project feature.

Do you have the rolling stock to form the ballasting trains associated with the Duomatic, or cranes for lifting / replacing track panels?

That Duomatic looks REALLY good though. I see people complaining that new RTR locos are so detailed that they become too fragile to be used. Your detailing looks to be a little more robust and all the better for it.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Martyn, i definitely appreciate modelling more when im busy, its a good sort of escape from 'normal' life, and as 'normal' life has sort of ground to a halt the escapism factor is lacking. In fact more modelling time has become the norm so the novelty of modelling time isnt there anymore and its become routine, so perhaps feeling less special.

Ebay is very much a waiting game at the mo, prices seem to go up and down in cycles. I swear freightliner flats and boxes jumped up in price whilst there were a few of us on here fettling them up, perhaps others had seen the threads and had a go themselves? 

Anyway, enjoy the long weekend, looking forward to a few beers and a one man bbq later on.

Take care and hope this malaise will soon pass.

All the best

James

I'd echo the sentiments about Ebay. I do keep an eye on this on a regular basis, the prices however seem to have gone bonkers in the last few weeks. Presumably more people at home with time on their hands, and money to spend as they can't go out.

Appears to be a time for selling not buying, certainly not buying!

John.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, ISW said:

Martyn,

I suggest you put the Duomatic on the layout and give it a good play. There are sure to be some 'tricks' you'd like to be able to do that could form a new project, or it could jog a memory of another project feature.

Do you have the rolling stock to form the ballasting trains associated with the Duomatic, or cranes for lifting / replacing track panels?

That Duomatic looks REALLY good though. I see people complaining that new RTR locos are so detailed that they become too fragile to be used. Your detailing looks to be a little more robust and all the better for it.

Thanks Ian, the Duomatic did have a test run on Dunnington but the layout has since been stored upstairs so any playing will have to wait until I feel the urge to set it up again! It is a fairly sturdy item apart from a few bits of equipment on the back end!

For Crinan, I do indeed have ballast and spoil wagons, plus a couple of Sturgeon rail wagons, no cranes though as yet, but enough to replicate some engineering work somewhere along the line. When I can access the Club again I still intend to fit a small manual turning mechanism for the Tamper.

Stay safe,

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A small road themed project is underway to make a better representation of the BMC Van used by the DVLR in the 1970s, for use on "Dunnington". The Corgi "Trackside" Morris Van was the closest I could find to the correct style, having an almost identical van body rear. The main differences being the BMC has the front axle further forward and without valances, a different front grille and sliding driver/passenger doors slightly inset from the van body. This was the original version:

20191125_103236.jpg.ae02a5c088ec8abc9be230b5593e22fb.jpg

I was never really happy with it and it looks too drab to my eyes (even by 70s "drabness" standards). I was originally going to replace it with a kit if one could be found, but I decided to see if I could create something better from it before consigning it to the scrap pile.

The main job was to create the front wheel cutouts in the diecast metal body, basically an hour or so of filing away using round and half round needle files. Followed by a cut and shut of the plastic chassis, relocating the axles in plastic tube. After contemplating if it was worth the effort, a razor saw was then used to cut the van side up the door rear edges, which allowed careful bending out of the van sides, and bending in a fraction of the cab doors, to give the distinctive step where the doors slide. I was glad I did this as it makes quite a difference.

A new front grille was fabricated from plasticard and microstrip, shown in its crudity here:20200509_141949.jpg.2cac51db6843b1c11715058cef33ff24.jpg

When cleaned up and attached it makes a big difference to a small van.

20200511_111948.jpg.9a8128b7b33a7f318aa99b36310d6ed3.jpg

Wing mirrors added from scraps of brass & wire. (The white panels are where the old home made transfers had been removed.)

And where I am up to so far with undercoat applied and test reassembled:

20200511_121812.jpg.2118371511c8d3cd4c26814e249b6878.jpg20200511_121754.jpg.99307d39e24b1f4d62a42bd9b0458ff2.jpg

The headlamps are part of the chassis moulding. The plasticard floor extensions under the doors ideally need wheel arch linings adding prior to painting them. But I'm pleased with the work thus far which does transform it somewhat.

20200511_121807.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

That makes a huge difference. I wouldn’t have the nerve to try doing something like that.

Thanks Colin, I wouldn't normally mess around much with a diecast vehicle, but as it only cost £3-£4 I didn't feel I had a lot to lose if it went wrong so I think it has been a useful experience and saved a few more £ on buying a specific kit for the type into the bargain.

4 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Ah, a 250 JU. Interesting. The makeover from the old J2 was almost a 'test run' of what they did to the J4 to make the Sherpa.

Thanks Bernard, you've got me there as my knowledge of 60s/70s model types is somewhat limited I'm afraid, other than knowing what a Sherpa looks like and I wouldn't have made the connection I'm afraid! :yes:

• Agree 1

The BMC Van is more or less done now, the wing mirror stalks should probably be black (they don't appear to have been bright plated). Sherwood green was used for the main colour, which is a bit lighter than the original colour. The grille will probably get another wash of black to tone it down a little more.

Home made transfers were produced again (numberplates taken from the real van), which turned out a reasonable colour match to the body colour, although a couple of edges have lifted very slightly following varnishing, although this is not noticable in the flesh.

20200516_201454.jpg.f9399f0002ab4549a31787b735a46809.jpg20200516_201506.jpg.171ec791877228bd7ced7e51a5cbc6fa.jpg20200516_202622.jpg.43c50b7566d62bdface261f0c74263d1.jpg20200516_203843.jpg.fcaad2b7f17afa4a9391c429538f00c1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1