Flush glazing done, a real PITA as I elected to cut each piece by hand, 22 pieces in all. I could have used SEF Flushglaze for the bodyside windows as on my other 2 class 29s but as the cab windscreens needed doing by hand anyway (the hardest parts) I thought I may as well go the whole hog this time. Thin clear plasticard was used, secured with a thin bead of PVA. Curved Nail scissors were useful for doing the windscreens.

post-28743-0-72983100-1488448433_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-74110900-1488448457_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

For its age (dates from late 70s iirc) the Hornby 29 has very nice rivet detail and even wire cab handrails, however in several other areas the model's designers had a very bad day. . . The sides should have a large grille in line with the roof grille; the model has upper and lower louvres instead, and the roof fan grille doesn't line up. . . .

As built the NBL Type 2s did have two separate radiator grille panels as per Hornby model, but they were replaced very early on, as per this 1959 picture here. Of course, combining it with a 4 character headcode is wrong...

As built the NBL Type 2s did have two separate radiator grille panels as per Hornby model, but they were replaced very early on, as per this 1959 picture here. Of course, combining it with a 4 character headcode is wrong...

Well I'll be blown, I've never seen (or at least noticed) a photo showing the original style of grilles before, we live and learn! Many thanks Bernard.

Edit: class 21 in the condition shown in that pic would be a much easier proposition as the Hornby sides and roof would be basically correct, although the front end as you say would still need extensive work, if only I modelled 1959!

Edited by Signaller69

Almost finished 6107 now, weathering c.1970/71 progressing using photos for reference, Kadee couplers fitted, cab interiors ready for refitting, still needs the Shawplan works plates, windscreen wipers and headcode box glazing fitting, along with bufferbeam pipework (at least, as far as the couplings will allow). Headcodes themselves were printed on computer and stuck in place with Pritt Stick.

post-28743-0-93404200-1488568562_thumb.jpg

Comparison with my earlier rendition of D6129 shows the deeper cab front and buffers at the correct height, which the latter will also receive shortly along with other work, as well as showing the variation in number/double arrow positions.

post-28743-0-61493900-1488568956_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-95641700-1488568983_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Well I'll be blown, I've never seen (or at least noticed) a photo showing the original style of grilles before, we live and learn! Many thanks Bernard.

Edit: class 21 in the condition shown in that pic would be a much easier proposition as the Hornby sides and roof would be basically correct, although the front end as you say would still need extensive work, if only I modelled 1959!

I've long believed that Hornby had recieved a drawing of the original build onto which someone had drawn the arrangement of the revised ends. It's really the only explanation of the bizarre condition of the body they produced - 1959 grills with headcode boxes superimposed over nose doors

• Like 1

I've long believed that Hornby had recieved a drawing of the original build onto which someone had drawn the arrangement of the revised ends. It's really the only explanation of the bizarre condition of the body they produced - 1959 grills with headcode boxes superimposed over nose doors

Yes, it surely ranks as one of the all time great model design cock-ups!

Although bizarrely the door outline did show up quite visibly on some of the Class 29s post headcode box conversion, as can be seen in Brush Veteran's photo: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-4697-0-70974500-1424824614.jpg . If I ever get hold of another 2-tone green model it will be done as D6123 which retained headcode discs vice boxes, but this involves more work again.

I seem to remember that D6123 was the first conversion to class 29, hence the slightly hybrid aspect of it's appearance.

Lovely job on both these models, and only with 6107 next to your D6129 are the deficiences in the latter apparent.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

I seem to remember that D6123 was the first conversion to class 29, hence the slightly hybrid aspect of it's appearance.

Lovely job on both these models, and only with 6107 next to your D6129 are the deficiences in the latter apparent.

John.

Thanks John, you would think adding 2mm or so (scale 6"+) to the depth of the nose would be quite obvious, but as you say if you don't know its there you probably wouldn't notice the difference without such comparison. More noticable, I find, is the lower (correct) buffer height and side fairing depth where it meets the corner.

My earlier conversions (6121 & D6129) are currently having the same treatment so I will post a photo once they are finished, along with how I fitted the Bachmann class 25 chassis to the Hornby 29 underframe for anyone interested. (Soon I hope; I love class 29's but its getting a bit "Groundhog Day" on my workbench lately, anyone following this far may be inclined to feel the same!)

Martyn.

That would be interesting to see, Martyn.

A good few years ago I upgraded the Hornby model but still as a 21, with additional detailing on the roof and the large side radiator grille, plus changes to the front, notably headcode box removal, scribed doors and some other bits, but not the deeper front. I had the A1 etched brass set, but found the large side grille the wrong size, however by careful cutting the mesh itself was usable. I don't know if the Bachmann 25 had appeared then, at any rate mine has double Hornby power bogies on Ultrascales, and with lots of weight it is proportionately a fair bit more powerful than the real thing (and it works!).

As a teenager I went round Eastfield and St.Rollox works in the last days of these. I do recall, I think in August 1970, seeing D6132 in the St.Rollox paint shops immaculate in fresh two tone green with full yellow ends, rather than repainted in blue. A few days later we saw it again at Eastfield back in traffic, and I think it must have been one of the last to have a works overhaul.

John.

That would be interesting to see, Martyn.

A good few years ago I upgraded the Hornby model but still as a 21, with additional detailing on the roof and the large side radiator grille, plus changes to the front, notably headcode box removal, scribed doors and some other bits, but not the deeper front. I had the A1 etched brass set, but found the large side grille the wrong size, however by careful cutting the mesh itself was usable. I don't know if the Bachmann 25 had appeared then, at any rate mine has double Hornby power bogies on Ultrascales, and with lots of weight it is proportionately a fair bit more powerful than the real thing (and it works!).

As a teenager I went round Eastfield and St.Rollox works in the last days of these. I do recall, I think in August 1970, seeing D6132 in the St.Rollox paint shops immaculate in fresh two tone green with full yellow ends, rather than repainted in blue. A few days later we saw it again at Eastfield back in traffic, and I think it must have been one of the last to have a works overhaul.

John.

Interesting and valuable memories re St. Rollox John, can I suggest you also share them here, if you've not done so: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47894-sad-eyed-people-the-class-21-and-29-livery-resource/?fromsearch=1 ? As it such a relevant topic.

I did wonder about doing a double Hornby motor bogie conversion using the original unpowered wheels thus doing away with the dreaded traction tyres; the later models already have extra pickups of course. But finding some cheap Bachmann 25's swayed the decision and the Ringfield motor bogies were sold on.

25 odd years ago I did a class 22 conversion using the A1 models kit which used an etched body to fit around Hornby 21/29 cabs, this also used etched grille overlays and cab detail and turned out well, although the crude Hornby wheels vice nice spoked ones marred it. It has long since been sold on when I lost interest in "Western" matters; I wonder if it was the same grille/cab detail etches that A1 supplied for 29 detailing?

Cheers,

Martyn.

A couple of shots which hopefully show the way I attached the Hornby Class 29 underframe moulding to the Bachmann Class 25 chassis.

post-28743-0-07113800-1489147110_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-88266600-1489147135_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-02940900-1489147160_thumb.jpg

Basically it involved cutting slots in the underframe side into which the raised parts of the Bachmann chassis sit, and gluing 30thou trapezoid shaped fillets to the underframe where the bogie sideframe lugs once rested. These have a small hole drilled in the centre to allow the original Bachmann screws to secure the underframe to the chassis and can be accessed when the bogie or sideframe is removed. This is adequate as when the chassis is fitted to the body the whole thing is rigid, although when removing the chassis again I found some flex as the fuel tank section pulls away from the chassis slightly due to flex. I overcame this by using a small blob of epoxy resin where the underframe cutouts meet the chassis unit; more screws could be used at this location but they need to be long enough to pass into the top of the Bachmann chassis, and have heads small enough not to interfere with bogie swing. I concluded the epoxy resin can soon be overcome if I need access to the motor at any point.

The middle photo shows the plasticard trapezoid fillets which act as fixing points. The lower pic shows the Bachmann 25 bogie with Hornby 29 sideframes fitted. Bachmann class 25 bogie frames are a simple clip fit so the original bogie sides were carefully removed outside the brake rigging and the Hornby 29 bogie sides again affixed (after a good clean/degrease) to what was left of the Bachmann frames with epoxy resin, taking care to ensure they didn't foul the bottom of the underframe moulding or chassis unit - clearance is quite tight here, and although there is not a lot of meat to the glued surfaces none have come away at any point.

I have read elsewhere of people having to mill parts of the chassis away to get it to fit the body; I can only assume this is to allow the original Hornby glazing unit to fit as, not using this, I have found no problems whatsoever, even with fitting the roof fan on a flat plate inside the roof, or any of the other roof mods; there is plenty of room also for the Hornby cab interiors.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Picked up a running but damaged Bachmann 37/0 for the princely sum of £30 at Wirral swapmeet today, just right for a 1970 condition loco once a few repairs/replacements are made as can be seen! Parts such as new windscreens, roof fan grille, headcode box panels etc will be obtained from Shawplan.

Have already fired an email to Bachmann regarding the missing bogie frame (part number 378-030); but if anyone knows of one going spare please drop me a line!

post-28743-0-50022500-1494767301_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-46821300-1494767352_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Picked up a running but damaged Bachmann 37/0 for the princely sum of £30 at Wirral swapmeet today, just right for a 1970 condition loco once a few repairs/replacements are made as can be seen! Parts such as new windscreens, roof fan grille, headcode box panels etc will be obtained from Shawplan.

Have already fired an email to Bachmann regarding the missing bogie frame (part number 378-030); but if anyone knows of one going spare please drop me a line!

Bargain, must have been some drop to do that damage though...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Bargain, must have been some drop to do that damage though...

Yeah its a strange one, the windscreen at the other end still has the glazing in but the bars are also cracked, and there is no cabside glazing at all. Apart from that and the small chip on top of the yellow warning panel though, the rest of the bodywork and paint is in really good condition, so I'm wondering if it was a botched dis-assembly for respraying (ie too much pressure on the windscreens cracking the bars), which then had bits removed for another project after the damage was done.

• Like 1

Try this link http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/32-355.pdf - service sheet for the 37, gives all part numbers.

Regards Jeff

Now, I wonder if Bachmann can supply them?

I've had no luck whatsoever every time I've tried for spares.

Thanks gents,

The loco did come with an instruction sheet although its slightly different in part numbering strangely (from the 37/4, not sure its the one supplied with the loco originally though); the bogie frame on mine is listed as part 378-030, the 030 being presumably the same as the 375-030 "cast" frame on the one Phixer posted?

Had a reply from Bachmann, Class 37 bogie frames are available for £5 each plus £2 p&p. Now I'm wondering if I should buy 2 to ensure a matching pair. . .

Edit: the loco (and instruction sheet) I have is the all wheel drive version, the one linked by Phixer is for the (newer?) BO-1 / 1-BO arrangement so the bogie frames may well be different for that loco.

Edited by Signaller69

Perhaps I'm just unlucky :(

I'm not counting my chickens just yet either, I was advised "class 37 bogie frames are available", but the different part numbers on different sheets show there are different versions, so whether the one(s) I order will be the correct ones or even fit correctly remains to be seen. . . .

I would like to record my thanks to Dave Moorhouse of Bachmann for informing me of the Cat. Number of my 37 and that they can supply the exact bogie frame I require (even factory weathered as per the loco itself). Truly excellent and fast response.

• Like 2

I would like to record my thanks to Dave Moorhouse of Bachmann for informing me of the Cat. Number of my 37 and that they can supply the exact bogie frame I require (even factory weathered as per the loco itself). Truly excellent and fast response.

Methinks when I next need something from Bachmann I'll ask you to get it for me :)

Meant to say on my first post in your thread, excellent work you're doing here!

Edited by leopardml2341