Enjoying your detailing of the much older models for the tight budget...that is right up my street as I don't have the money to spend on the more recent releases over the past 10 years or so. Also enjoying the class 126 build...although the Scottish region isn't my cuppa tea it does get me thinking about doing the same for a class 123 

Edited by jetmorgan

Enjoying your detailing of the much older models for the tight budget...that is right up my street as I don't have the money to spend on the more recent releases over the past 10 years or so. Also enjoying the class 126 build...although the Scottish region isn't my cuppa tea it does get me thinking about doing the same for a class 123

Thanks, I've had great enjoyment from doing the 126 DMS, and am looking forward to cracking on with the rest of the set. Building stock this way is great if you are on a tight budget but do have some modelling time available, plus you end up with something that is unlikely ever to appear RTR (you watch Bachmann announce one next week now I've said that...).

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martyn

I am impressed. I didn't think of using Trix coaches. I too looked at Tri-ang coaches and gulped at all the cuts. Many years ago I started a Swindon 6 car intercity unit. I photo copied the sides in the Golding book. I cut these out and then copied these on to 10 thou plastic card. I carefully cut out the windows. The sides were then glued to the sides of some Replica FO (?) coaches. While making the cabs my handfistedness  broke quite a few sliding vents so the project was sidelined. In the end it was scraped in a stock downsizing exercise.

The cabs for the DMBS are easy, only four flat surfaces and a plain domed roof. At the moment I have a AM4 on my workbench and that is six parts to the front with a headcode box in the middle of the domed roof. As for a Clacton unit .....

Hi Martyn

I am impressed. I didn't think of using Trix coaches. I too looked at Tri-ang coaches and gulped at all the cuts. Many years ago I started a Swindon 6 car intercity unit. I photo copied the sides in the Golding book. I cut these out and then copied these on to 10 thou plastic card. I carefully cut out the windows. The sides were then glued to the sides of some Replica FO (?) coaches. While making the cabs my handfistedness broke quite a few sliding vents so the project was sidelined. In the end it was scraped in a stock downsizing exercise.

The cabs for the DMBS are easy, only four flat surfaces and a plain domed roof. At the moment I have a AM4 on my workbench and that is six parts to the front with a headcode box in the middle of the domed roof. As for a Clacton unit .....

Hello Clive,

Thanks for your kind comments, sorry to hear your TP unit didn't come to fruition, but your AM4 is coming on a treat. I built a class 304 about 25 odd years ago using a Lima 117 as a basis, but that was when you could just buy MTK parts so the cab ends used these for an easy conversion, along with Hornby Gresley bogies and a Lima pantograph, think I still have a few photos somewhere, sadly I sold it off a long time ago. I am awaiting a set of class 303 body shells from DC Kits that Charlie is sorting out in due course too for a future project.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Following an enjoyable trip to Wigan show today, I have made a start on the sides of the Class 126 Trailer Composite (TC). First the raised strips along the underneath were carefully cut away (indicated by the scalpel point below); these will be reused by plasticwelding them to the lower edge of the coach sides to increase the depth:

post-28743-0-42432800-1506879475_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-91557500-1506879505_thumb.jpg

Next the Trix Composite (CK) and first class section of a Brake Composite (BCK) were cut where required and rearranged for the lavatory side of the TC:

post-28743-0-14347300-1506879737_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-16974100-1506879768_thumb.jpg

The centre compartment in this vehicle has a door flanked either side by a short window section. The easy way to cheat here would be to use the arrangement from the CK seen above the cut sides here:

post-28743-0-34984500-1506880062_thumb.jpg

But the windows are still about twice the side they need to be; I also have a problem with the large window layout generally in that they should be a fraction further apart (about 1mm per window, or 1cm over the whole side overall. I think the best way of doing this is to splice a little extra in either end between the lavatory and first compartment as this area looks a little shorter than it should be; a cheat for certain but easier than splicing 1mm sections between each large window! It will also keep the correct equal relationship between the compartments too. I will have some tea and mull it over. . .

More soon, hopefully!

• Like 1

A very nice Shepherds Pie later, I came to the conclusion the only way the sides would look anything like right was to do a full cut and splice job; for the extra couple of hours or so cutting and splicing in thin sections of plain bodyside (left over from the RMB used to make the DMS), I'm glad I did. The thin strips cut from the underside (seen earlier) were then added to the lower bodyside edge to give the correct depth, followed by Squadron Green putty liberally applied over every join; much sanding to look forward to next I think!

post-28743-0-66093000-1506899880_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A very nice Shepherds Pie later, I came to the conclusion the only way the sides would look anything like right was to do a full cut and splice job; for the extra couple of hours or so cutting and splicing in thin sections of plain bodyside (left over from the RMB used to make the DMS), I'm glad I did. The thin strips cut from the underside (seen earlier) were then added to the lower bodyside edge to give the correct depth, followed by Squadron Green putty liberally applied over every join; much sanding to look forward to next I think!

attachicon.gifIMG_20171002_000636_1.jpg

Hi Martyn

I hope you have a good file card to clean your files with all that filler. :O :o

I am looking forward to seeing the end result. :good:

Hi Martyn

I hope you have a good file card to clean your files with all that filler. :O :o

I am looking forward to seeing the end result. :good:

No files were harmed in the cleaning up Clive, but a sheet of 400 grade wet and dry was tied around a length of 1" square batten before being rubbed to extinction on the sides! After rinsing them a few small blemishes have had a little more filler applied, this is the state of play so far:

post-28743-0-00815100-1506941286_thumb.jpg

Edit to add photo, doh!

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 3

Really enjoying your class 126 build, probably the right thing to do to splice up the side for the TC, it's giving me lots of pointers and ideas for a Swindon Edinburgh to Glasgow 79xxx set using the same approach. I had a check of what Trix coaches I have for the build, 2 BCK, 2 RMB, and 5 CK (sadly no Trans-Penine mega £££). Should be enough to build a 5 coach rake as they were formed into once the 27s took over the E&G, though I need to find some suitable chassis donors before I start. The RAILCAR.co.uk website is a great resource for drawings, formations and other info on these and all 1st gen DMUs. Living in West Lothian also gives me easier access to the beautifully restored class 126 at the SRPS for inspiration of the real thing.

Really enjoying your class 126 build, probably the right thing to do to splice up the side for the TC, it's giving me lots of pointers and ideas for a Swindon Edinburgh to Glasgow 79xxx set using the same approach. I had a check of what Trix coaches I have for the build, 2 BCK, 2 RMB, and 5 CK (sadly no Trans-Penine mega £££). Should be enough to build a 5 coach rake as they were formed into once the 27s took over the E&G, though I need to find some suitable chassis donors before I start. The RAILCAR.co.uk website is a great resource for drawings, formations and other info on these and all 1st gen DMUs. Living in West Lothian also gives me easier access to the beautifully restored class 126 at the SRPS for inspiration of the real thing.

You will probably find 6, or 7 at most of the Trix coaches will be needed for a 5 car set. My 3 car build has so far used 1 each of the three types to produce the DMS and TC, with window sections left over plus an untouched BCK to do the DMBS with Full width cab. As I used the Trix roof, they also need a section splicing in to give the correct length.

The Lima 117 chassis (or newer Hornby 121 version) is probably the easiest and cheapest choice; you could power using Replica or Heljan chassis if preferred though no doubt. The Lima underframe mouldings can be hacked about easily too if desired, and the single motor bogie leaves the interior clear of course.

After much fiddling my 126 TC has had a first coat of blue applied, will try to get a photo up later.

Edit to add, yes the Railcar site you mentioned is very useful, but being not too far from the preserved unit is very handy too!

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

The Replica chassis' are very good. You would need to make a false floor due to the encroachment into the body the entire length however. But that is easily done with plasticard (Gareth of Replica Railways, often has a few examples with him of different body shells on the chassis).

The Replica chassis' are very good. You would need to make a false floor due to the encroachment into the body the entire length however. But that is easily done with plasticard (Gareth of Replica Railways, often has a few examples with him of different body shells on the chassis).

Thanks yes I've seen the Replica stand at shows, always pick up bits and bobs from them. I may consider one for my 303 if and when it turns up, I've only heard good things about their running qualities, although the false floor height does put me off a bit if I'm honest so would need to do a bit more research.

The TC has had a coat of BR Blue; as I fix the sides and ends into one piece the roof is being test fitted having been lengthened prior to sanding down ready for new vents to be fitted. Sides for the DMBS have been stitched together ready for filling too.

post-28743-0-59873800-1507122246_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-21650800-1507122281_thumb.jpg

Just about all that is left of 8 coach sides can be seen here too!

• Like 3

With the TC awaiting a chassis the DMBS sides have been primed, and the Lima motorised chassis for the DMBS has been attacked, much plastic removed, bogies lowered (hence the boxlike plasticard structure to strengthen the motor bogie cutout, designed to fit within the new bodyshell):

post-28743-0-60830800-1507140361_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-54278100-1507140402_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-55487500-1507140436_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-97717000-1507140485_thumb.jpg

Full Swindon Cab front to scratchbuild soon based on Brian Kirby's technique. Happy days!

• Like 7

Further DMBS progress, cab end "blank" and corridor end fixed to the bodysides as with the other vehicles. Roof extended and modified for cab end; whole thing being tested on the chassis for fit. No problems so far, though the plasticard chassis strengtheners around the motor bogie will need cutting down a couple of mm to sit out of sight below window level. Being tested for ride height in last pic.

post-28743-0-57623200-1507213735_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-81569100-1507213781_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-83065500-1507213817_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-09026900-1507213858_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-19778400-1507213938_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Martyn,

It's looking good, how do you find all the time to push this project along so quickly? I've just thought of another job you've got to do . . . . . ., Swindon DMU bogies had different and quite distinctive spring planks in the middle, I spent ages cutting off the originals, and even more ages gluing-on triangular pieces of plastic, but it was worth it. Another Swindon DMU characteristic was much deeper solebars than those found on most other classes, can you add this to your chassis, although it would probably involve replacing all the steps? 

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

It's looking good, how do you find all the time to push this project along so quickly? I've just thought of another job you've got to do . . . . . ., Swindon DMU bogies had different and quite distinctive spring planks in the middle, I spent ages cutting off the originals, and even more ages gluing-on triangular pieces of plastic, but it was worth it. Another Swindon DMU characteristic was much deeper solebars than those found on most other classes, can you add this to your chassis, although it would probably involve replacing all the steps?

Cheers, Brian.

Thanks Brian, I'm not too worried about the bogies for the present, the plastic Lima use for them really doesn't like glue, so any added bits may not stay on for long! As for the solebars if you look at the later photos of the DMS you can see they are deeper than on the DMBS currently; this was achieved by adding plasticard shims to raise the body slightly from the chassis; as the bodysides overhang the solebars this was fairly straightforward. all the original steps were carved off and new ones glued in place (not done on the DMBS yet, but this will have the same treatment). Adding the (brake?) pipe which seems to run along the solebar on one side of each vehicle helps too (only done this on the DMS so far).

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edit: added photo showing deepened solebars & pipe on DMS, I perhaps didn't smoothe the solebars down quite enough, but weathering should help:

post-28743-0-01537200-1507250804_thumb.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 2

These are looking really good!

Thanks, did a bit more work on the DMBS this afternoon, namely sorting the cab front windows, fitting exhaust pipes and altering the underframe slightly to match the DMS (ie moving a couple of bits around and fitting a new fuel tank). Once I've added etched door hinges and Headcode box surrounds I will try to get some more pics up.

Probably won't get much done over the weekend though due to work and other commitments.

Found an hour or so to do a bit more earlier, cut out the cab windows and added headcode box edging, etched door hinges, wire handrails, exhaust pipes and a new plasticard fuel tank. Just need some foot steps, a change of buffers and couplings etc to sort the chassis. Body just needs a couple of minor details adding, then it will be on to the roof of this and the TC.

post-28743-0-01131700-1507422773_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-85572900-1507422802_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-98523200-1507422839_thumb.jpg

• Like 3