15 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I'm just wondering whether to put the brakes on my 25/0 conversion for a while , oh , hang on , I haven't touched it for weeks! The 25/1 announcement gives plenty opportunities for several Scottish machines in the TOPS era

@Signaller69 also options for you on the version with gangway doors if SLW do a blue variant , 5176/77/78 ED in 1972

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

@Signaller69 also options for you on the version with gangway doors if SLW do a blue variant , 5176/77/78 ED in 1972

Thanks,

I will be watching to see which identities they choose, quite a few were air brake fitted by 1971/2 too. I'm thinking un-numbered versions may be popular as they have done with the 24.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks,

I will be watching to see which identities they choose, quite a few were air brake fitted by 1971/2 too. I'm thinking un-numbered versions may be popular as they have done with the 24.

Yeah , I'll be happy if they do un-numbered ones

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Spent a few hours today working out the underframe layout of the Swindon 120s, still short of one tank for TSLB. I THINK I now have all the masters sorted.

Still doing a Leyland engine master.

Also worked out I could do 120 fuel tanks as well.

I used a general layout of a IC power car for engines and radiators and scaled the rest from side views and windows.

• Like 5

The Cravens DTCL (or "CO Twin" to give it its early official designation) is progressing. As always, this involved more work than initially planned. The 2 Bachmann engines, radiators and battery boxes were removed and 2 of my cast resin battery boxes fitted just off-centre next to the oil heater units, plus a couple of resited Bachmann details, and a Vac Brake cylinder behind the front bogie (after my saying I'd never noticed these on any DMU, I now find they are quite visible on Cravens Driving Trailers!).

The extra work came in the form of removing the end footsteps (as these seemed to be removed in the later 60s as with coaching stock), and filling in the front pair of bodyside fuel fillers (these presumably being for Diesel fuel on Motor fitted cars, as the driving trailers don't appear to have had them). The rear pair of fillers are retained (heating oil presumably?).

20210329_213855.jpg.8c88acf56563966babff40d4ffc92d73.jpg

The exhaust outlet and panel on the roof also needed sanding off.

20210329_224445.jpg.da0136b70d3f0394e9c55cd25849525f.jpg

The new underframe detail has had a coat of black paint and will be weathered to blend in with the rest in due course.

20210329_224401.jpg.705b1ade01d97ffaf20125aaa759ca5d.jpg20210329_224422.jpg.c42b3cbc8016a16efc05a292ac13f4c9.jpg

Bodyside and roof touch ups to complete yet, plus new numbers to do.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

44 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

The Cravens DTCL (or "CO Twin" to give it its early official designation) is progressing. As always, this involved more work than initially planned. The 2 Bachmann engines, radiators and battery boxes were removed and 2 of my cast resin battery boxes fitted just off-centre next to the oil heater units, plus a couple of resited Bachmann details, and a Vac Brake cylinder behind the front bogie (after my saying I'd never noticed these on any DMU, I now find they are quite visible on Cravens Driving Trailers!).

The extra work came in the form of removing the end footsteps (as these seemed to be removed in the later 60s as with coaching stock), and filling in the front pair of bodyside fuel fillers (these presumably being for Diesel fuel on Motor fitted cars, as the driving trailers don't appear to have had them). The rear pair of fillers are retained (heating oil presumably?).

20210329_213855.jpg.8c88acf56563966babff40d4ffc92d73.jpg

The new underframe detail has had a coat of black paint and will be weathered to blend in with the rest in due course.

20210329_224401.jpg.705b1ade01d97ffaf20125aaa759ca5d.jpg20210329_224422.jpg.c42b3cbc8016a16efc05a292ac13f4c9.jpg

Bodyside and roof touch ups to complete yet, plus new numbers to do.

Don't forget to remove the crest on a non powered car.

• Informative/Useful 2

53 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

The Cravens DTCL (or "CO Twin" to give it its early official designation) is progressing.

Hi Martyn,

A phenomenal bit of design work there by Cravens, what on earth were they thinking putting the exhaust pipes so close to an air vent !!!

I've built some DC kits Cravens units and I did wonder about it when placing the pipes and vents.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

A phenomenal bit of design work there by Cravens, what on earth were they thinking putting the exhaust pipes so close to an air vent !!!

I've built some DC kits Cravens units and I did wonder about it when placing the pipes and vents.

Gibbo.

This is true. Mind you I suppose even with end exhausts the rear car of a 2 car set could have a similar issue with vents near the inner end. I guess the aerodynamics tended to lift fumes away from the roof surface, in theory at least?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

This is true. Mind you I suppose even with end exhausts the rear car of a 2 car set could have a similar issue with vents near the inner end. I guess the aerodynamics tended to lift fumes away from the roof surface, in theory at least?

With the Cravens DMC the loo only got used once each journey. No other passenger could use it until the asphyxiated body stuck in there was removed. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 5

Roof vents are there to remove air from the saloon, not admit it, so being close to the exhaust should not be a problem.

Actually, they remove the air from the space between the outer skin roof and the inner skin saloon roof, mainly to make sure no moisture gets trapped there, as well as ensuring air recirculation in the saloon. There are photos of 116 DMU with a single large vent at each end (bit like a mk2 aircon) and non in between.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...

After painting the glazing bars and refitting the windows, the hybrid livery 105 is pretty much done apart from blending in the underframe alterations with some dirt. The partly open Guard's window was a lucky accident when the original window was found to not quite fit the new opening - however due to fitting Hornby gangway connections the former window from the end door was found to be a perfect fit!

20210401_190503.jpg.b52b1a250d6c353144a18f923e3baa1a.jpg20210401_190642.jpg.10a2e54a23252f884d76c39eeddf8610.jpg

I am finding that modelling motivation is at a low ebb again at the moment, even progress on the layout is struggling.

Looking at my box of left over "recyclebles", for a future project I am pondering doing a non motorised DMU DMBS using the Hornby 110 body left over after the chassis went into the class 100 project. 

ScR formed a lot of 3 car sets after about 1970 by splitting 2 car sets (primarily from surplus classes 100 and 105 it seems), storing the Driving Trailers and adding the DMBS to another 2 car power/trailer set, presumably to give improved power to weight ratio for better timekeeping. This occasionally gave rise to the sight of 3 car units formed of vehicles from 3 different classes.

I have a spare chassis for this, but not bogies. DMU bogies generally seem to be like Rocking Horse muck from the usual spares suppliers so I may cast my own in resin at some point.

However the main question is, which class of DMBS to do? Realistically the ScR options for this time are classes 100, 101, 105, 107, 108(?) and 120; pretty much the easiest to convert from a 110 out of these is the 107, though (leaving body shape issues aside) it requires a different cab end which I don't have and in any case I don't think any were split from their 3 car sets at this time, other than for works visits. A class 100 is the only other real possibility via much cutting and shutting.

I'm not aware that any 110s (or the other easy option, 104s) were around Central Scotland in my timeframe.

One to think about if nothing else!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

After painting the glazing bars and refitting the windows, the hybrid livery 105 is pretty much done apart from blending in the underframe alterations with some dirt. The partly open Guard's window was a lucky accident when the original window was found to not quite fit the new opening - however due to fitting Hornby gangway connections the former window from the end door was found to be a perfect fit!

20210401_190503.jpg.b52b1a250d6c353144a18f923e3baa1a.jpg20210401_190642.jpg.10a2e54a23252f884d76c39eeddf8610.jpg

I am finding that modelling motivation is at a low ebb again at the moment, even progress on the layout is struggling.

Looking at my box of left over "recyclebles", for a future project I am pondering doing a non motorised DMU DMBS using the Hornby 110 body left over after the chassis went into the class 100 project. 

ScR formed a lot of 3 car sets after about 1970 by splitting 2 car sets (primarily from surplus classes 100 and 105 it seems), storing the Driving Trailers and adding the DMBS to another 2 car power/trailer set, presumably to give improved power to weight ratio for better timekeeping. This occasionally gave rise to the sight of 3 car units formed of vehicles from 3 different classes.

I have a spare chassis for this, but not bogies. DMU bogies generally seem to be like Rocking Horse muck from the usual spares suppliers so I may cast my own in resin at some point.

However the main question is, which class of DMBS to do? Realistically the ScR options for this time are classes 100, 101, 105, 107, 108(?) and 120; pretty much the easiest to convert from a 110 out of these is the 107, though (leaving body shape issues aside) it requires a different cab end which I don't have and in any case I don't think any were split from their 3 car sets at this time, other than for works visits. A class 100 is the only other real possibility via much cutting and shutting.

I'm not aware that any 110s (or the other easy option, 104s) were around Central Scotland in my timeframe.

One to think about if nothing else!

Sorry if I've missed something obvious earlier in the thread, but what timeframe do you model?

Is June 1978 at Edinburgh Waverley any use to you....

Class 104 DMU @ Edinburgh Waverley, June 1978 [slide 7815]

Paisley 1984

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/14347

There would have been Class 116s allocated to Hamilton DMU depot too if thats any easier

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, GordonC said:

Sorry if I've missed something obvious earlier in the thread, but what timeframe do you model?

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your comments. I model the Glasgow area (& WHL) 1969-1972ish. From what I have read on the Railcar site it seems that the hybrid 3-car sets around this time were generally made up of Edinburgh based vehicles, so although 104's may have reached the area on Specials, I think it unlikely one would have been split and added to a "local" set. But never say never! A 104 would be the easiest to do model wise I have to say.

Thanks,

Martyn.

13 hours ago, MJI said:

This is a half done 120 power car

967267176_2021-04-1114_17_24.jpg.f78dc5d424809fbaab05f6b57fe9f8a1.jpg

13 hours ago, MJI said:

And yes I had to refit a lot of them as they had gone wonky, currently building up the tanks and their above boxes.

Hi Martin,

Looking good, I had similar issues with resin bits not quite sitting correctly. Its surprising how just being a fraction off true shows itself up!

Which reminds me I need to order more casting rubber and resin!

Martyn.

• Like 1

Just looking through the first gen DMU book by Hugh Longworth, there are listings for 67 and 72 for allocations in Scotland. There are class 100, 1010, 105, 107, 108, the IC sets, 120 and 116.

Nothing for any BRCW units up there, so the only way you could use it is as a visitor from south of the border.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Just looking through the first gen DMU book by Hugh Longworth, there are listings for 67 and 72 for allocations in Scotland. There are class 100, 1010, 105, 107, 108, the IC sets, 120 and 116.

Nothing for any BRCW units up there, so the only way you could use it is as a visitor from south of the border.

116 is a new one on me at that period. There was a 121 (or 122) used for Driver Training around then too.

Cheers,

Martyn.

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

116 is a new one on me at that period. There was a 121 (or 122) used for Driver Training around then too.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Check out this thread

First 116 went north to scotland in 66. Don`t know about the 121, but they did have some 122, and 131 parcels conversions of such.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah I remember the 116s .  Quite often used on Kilmalcolm, Barrhead and East Kilbride services .  But in the 70s I think it was mainly 101, 107,116 and 126s in the Glasgow Area .  

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Legend said:

Yeah I remember the 116s .  Quite often used on Kilmalcolm, Barrhead and East Kilbride services .  But in the 70s I think it was mainly 101, 107,116 and 126s in the Glasgow Area .  

Well it's another possibility to put on the to do list I guess!

21 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Check out this thread

First 116 went north to scotland in 66. Don`t know about the 121, but they did have some 122, and 131 parcels conversions of such.

Cheers, an interesting thread.

I checked out the Railcar Class 116 pages too, photos of 116's in Scotland late 60s/early 70s appear very scarce, and I don't recall seeing any in books covering the period which is probably why I'd overlooked them.

• 2 weeks later...