On 15/09/2021 at 20:55, Signaller69 said:

The pop up stupid "help our advertiser" ads every time I visit this site are really annoying. No wonder FB groups are taking over. Just saying.

Martyn,

I use the 'Brave' browser, instead of Chrome or Edge, on both my PC and phone. No pop ups anywhere as it automatically blocks such things. Much better browsing experience. :offtopic: As an aside, it also blocks adverts in YouTube.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Nope, back again when I opened the page today.....

I thought it was me picking up somthing I shouldn't of from a page I shouldn't of been on!:read:

each time I click on notifications either on PC or phone....boom...there it is again! ....didnt think I needed anti ageing cream and a new bike! But apparently the add says I do!....come on sort it out life's to short to find the x to close the add box

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

If unsure the same site I linked also has the allocations history and hundreds of photos in date order. I wasn't aware Bachmann had done both body styles (the one I picked up had some damage so was at a price I couldn't refuse!).

Cheers,

Martyn.

Every image I pull up is of the batch 2/3 design with two windows in the brake compartment. The batch 1&4 had only one window and the doors more towards the rear. Also batch 1 originally came with 4 marker lights and no two digit display on the cab front. Later batch 1 had the 2 digit display but still had the roof mount for the marker light, even if it was just blank.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

I thought it was me picking up somthing I shouldn't of from a page I shouldn't of been on!:read:

each time I click on notifications either on PC or phone....boom...there it is again! ....didnt think I needed anti ageing cream and a new bike! But apparently the add says I do!....come on sort it out life's to short to find the x to close the add box

I had one for used Bentleys pop up, here's me modding £20 Hornby class 25s, not sure why they think a Bentley is going to appeal (I'd rather have the aforementioned Hornby 25s if I'm honest)!

It is something particular to RMweb, I don't get pop ups on ANY other site, thought it was a thing of the past. Glad I'm not the only one who has to put up with it, it makes browsing on here unappealing though I have to say.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Every image I pull up is of the batch 2/3 design with two windows in the brake compartment. The batch 1&4 had only one window and the doors more towards the rear. Also batch 1 originally came with 4 marker lights and no two digit display on the cab front. Later batch 1 had the 2 digit display but still had the roof mount for the marker light, even if it was just blank.

I must admit photos of the Scottish batch 4 variants seem on the thin side!

Nice work on the rats. I realised I missed some wording out of my reply. It needs to say the Bachmann model is of version two or three of the class 105. Scotland was allocated ones from batch four. The only time the version Bachmann modelled would be seen north of the border would be in the 80s or short term loan. The 105 doesn't appear too popular being power trailer pairs as Scotland went of 3 car units with unpowered centre cars.

Or you could model one of the few mixed sets that ran, using two DMB with a DTC in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Nice work on the rats. I realised I missed some wording out of my reply. It needs to say the Bachmann model is of version two or three of the class 105. Scotland was allocated ones from batch four. The only time the version Bachmann modelled would be seen north of the border would be in the 80s or short term loan. The 105 doesn't appear too popular being power trailer pairs as Scotland went of 3 car units with unpowered centre cars.

Or you could model one of the few mixed sets that ran, using two DMB with a DTC in the middle.

Hi Dave, 

Yes some interesting combinations could be seen in the early 70s especially. When researching the class 100 a while ago I found this image of a DMBS inserted into a class 105 on the Railcar site (click for photo):

https://railcar.co.uk/images/5338

(There is one of a 100/101/105 combo somewhere iirc too.)

Done as much for increased power to weight ratio as increased capacity it seems. Many DTC/DTS vehicles especially of class 100 and 105 appear to have been stored or withdrawn around this period.

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Underframe for rat no.4 has had the same lowering technique applied as previously and resin tanks fitted. Another Class 24 in this case.

20210920_234907.jpg.3e6b0e13c58b4f796f280e502ec1b81c.jpg

Then some soldering has been undertaken this evening, not my favourite part of the hobby. All parts need a coat of etch primer before their top coats and fitting into place.

An Extreme Etchings fan grille (3 parts, laminated):

20210920_234632.jpg.86616650142ee22f964d1ab297accf58.jpg

A couple of roof fans from the same source (each a 6 part laminate around a piece of brass rod I had to hand):

20210920_234436.jpg.0774f1f1cd8a81eb363aed12c08ca602.jpg

And some Brassmasters cab door handrails, a rather fiddly case of bending the thinner end bits behind the handrail into an L shape to form the mounting spigots, and soldering to add strength - 2 are seen at left. Doing 8 finished me off for the night, time for a whisky!

20210920_222041.jpg.7110ba66fb64b2da0401c1f4025c5fc9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Also undertaken during the soldering session were the headcode discs, which had short L shaped pieces of brass wire attached to the rear.

Once all the parts were sprayed with etch primer (apart from the cab door handrails), the green 24 received its roof fan grille, cab roof vents, cab front handrails and headcode discs. Seen here (rather cruelly) with an SLW version:20210921_225937.jpg.6e3121ea51f74073ea0d3aa7cff69e61.jpg

And a comparison of front ends:

20210921_225811.jpg.5083f1c1d5823e137b8be98f3c6dd36e.jpg

The batch of cab door handrails went on to the 25/0 as it is technically first in the queue:

20210921_230011.jpg.6131845091d4fb6f7447afade09d23ae.jpg

Compared to the SLW 24 the Brassmasters cab handrails are a little oversized but no more so than the latest Bachmann class 24s in fairness.

20210921_225909.jpg.c2017fe49d4a094964129f8d0184023d.jpg

(:offtopic:I'm not totally enamoured by the SLW BR blue or WP yellow shades; they don't match anything else from any other manufacturer or my repaints - I'm not suggesting for a moment they are wrong but it grates when the loco is next to anything else! On the left here:)

20210921_225831.jpg.7c760f4c74d9d5dcbdef3f8896f6fa1f.jpg

Anyway, the current state of play among the Hornby re-workings (or the 4 currently being worked on at any rate) is that the blue 25/0 needs the roof fan and glazing fitting, the first 24 (lower right) needs cab door handrails, roof fan and glazing, while the second 24 behind has had the chassis mods and headcode boxes removed and the space filled.

The 25/1 (lower left) needs the triangular bodyside panels scoring and is then ready for the paintshop:

20210921_225736.jpg.d0a9e832dad9789b673118defd80ba5b.jpg

I feel things are progressing now!

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

8 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Have to say your mods are worth it. Hen you can sit yours next to the SLW on and it doesn't look out of place or the poor relation. Well done.

Many thanks Dave, your comments are much appreciated - it is my hope that they won't "stand out in a crowd" too noticeably; if the eye can be temporarily deceived from drawing a conclusion of "old Hornby 25", then I feel it is all worthwhile.

I hope to do something about the cab interiors too (they are still the most obvious give away above solebar level) at some point.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 2

Having scribed the triangular bodyside panels on the production 25, I remembered thinking the cabside doors needed the moulded handrails removing and then thoughts turned to trying to correct the cabside door windows, which need opening out quite a bit. The doors themselves also seem recessed a bit too far on the Hornby loco, whereas on the prototype the recess is only about 3-4 inches judging from photos.

So I'm trying some of the resin 24 & 25/0 doors combined with scraping as much plastic as possible away from the Hornby doors and I think it should work to give a better appearance.

20210922_223127.jpg.edc9a8341bf25c04a482cca409f2b41f.jpg

Given that the 25 needs a LOT less work otherwise than a 24 or 25/0 it has to be worth a shot.....

• Like 11

No further work on the locos as such but I have done a V2 revamp of the class 25 battery boxes / fuel tank master as the first version felt a little "skinny/shallow". Just need to add a few more details and I'm waiting on a delivery of more silicone rubber to make a new mould.

20210925_231023.jpg.2486fcffd793a989f26b81ba79289b60.jpg

As before the top is profiled to fit within the cutout left once the Hornby originals are cut away.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

:offtopic:Further to the pop up adds mystery, it is confirmed as purely an RMweb thing:

"Non-Gold users will see a video pop-up ad on most screens. This is a test. It should not appear on mobiles etc."

They appear random (so far) rather than targeted - as I often get the Bentley and pipe welding equipment ones, but saying it is a test does suggest this method of advertising roll out is under consideration. 

And as I only use RMweb on my mobile, I can only say I do still get them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The latest I am getting is a pop video. Andy Y is on the case. If getting rid of the ads means becoming a gold member then I am off to pastures green.

My pop ups appear to have stopped.
They are annoying.
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I seem to have got rid of them by downloading a pop up blocker Samsung recommended on my phone, adblock fast. They were very annoying, had one covering the top of the screen so couldn't read notifications, I do hope they have sorted this as it was ruining my RMweb experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

I seem to have got rid of them by downloading a pop up blocker Samsung recommended on my phone, adblock fast. They were very annoying, had one covering the top of the screen so couldn't read notifications, I do hope they have sorted this as it was ruining my RMweb experience.

Hi James,

I had the same issue with the bar dropping over the notifications, seemingly without any way of removing it unless you left the page and went back in, and if I was quick I could hit the notifications before it crept back down over them!

I don't really want to download an add blocking app if its avoidable, as it's only RMweb I have this issue with?

The whole ads issue is spoiling it somewhat I agree.

Thanks all for your comments too, glad I'm not the only one it is annoying!

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In between Class 25 jobs I have been sourcing images of the class 122 (& parcels class 131 conversions) which worked in Scotland in the late 60s/ early 70s, for another project, when I found this image on the Railcar site:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/3641

Allegedly c.1969 at Kilmarnock according to the caption, with 3 different liveries (Sc55011 blue with full yellow ends, Sc55013 in green with small yellow panel and Sc55000 in blue with small yellow panel) but what surprised me at this date was the Mk.1 Suburban stock in lined Maroon also in the Bay platform, which I had been led to believe was all long gone from Scotland by this point in time? Could they have been withdrawn or in process of being transferred?

In any case it is fitting these single units at the time were working the Kilmarnock to Ayr route where they had seen off the earlier 4w Railbuses.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2019 at 18:20, turbos said:

I too have a box of Whisky Blues which I have made a start on fettling to improve, 50/50 mix of Lima and Hornby. I chose the Hornby over the Trix/Lilliput/Bachmann version mainly as they were cheaper and more numerous, it wouldn't surprise me if Hornby have made over 10000 of them and they've certainly made well over 20000 underframes, so no worries if you destroy an underframe as there's plenty to be had for a couple of quid each. Both versions have different issues on length and height but they also have the same issues of vertical stanchion positioning (the Peco N gauge has the same issue) and poorly detailed underframe. Both versions can be made look OK alongside the Lima type but alongside each other just doesn't work. I've also used the Cambrian pedestal suspension kit under a Hornby grain hopper as the wagons on the East Anglia to North of Scotland route all appeared to have been modified by the early 70s, probably a reaction to the Thirsk accident. The Lima version still had examples carrying the advertising hoarding in the early 70s but had all lost them by the mid 70s, the Hornby and Bachmann version appeared to lose their hoardings around the same time as their suspension was changed.

Here's some pic's I took earlier today showing Lima, Trix and Hornby wagons together and a couple of the Hornby wagon I've been working on.

Slainte mhath,

Brian.

brians phone pics mar-apr2019 191.JPG

brians phone pics mar-apr2019 197.JPG

brians phone pics mar-apr2019 199.JPG

i know this post is from a while back, but collecting info on these wagons, couldn’t help notice the extra details on the brake linkage above the solebar. Can I ask what you’ve done there?

thank

mark

The 25/1 is now up the same stage as the 24 and 25/0 and all 3 have had some weathering applied based on their respective photos, prior to some further work with powders and a further coat of varnish.20211015_131757.jpg.4b9030f852cad864c06da1e2d7805f48.jpg

20211015_131728.jpg.e9dc2ba74700dd2e5eefacf65912853c.jpg

20211015_131657.jpg.9e4c5c4d363c7c0e5c40f59333f9f210.jpg

(Yes, the 24 still needs its cab door handrails adding!)

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Martyn,

No offence to your superb modelling, but your photos do remind me of a line up of scrap locos at the back of Derby Works in the late 1970s, especially with the windows missing.

ScanImage-2956a.jpg.1d04a597daf9ac4c5c32941212776808.jpg

Ian

• Like 6