6 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Very little modelling time this week; I need to get hold of some brass strip to fabricate the various DMU footsteps required.

So I decided to build the second Dapol Presflo wagon for "Dunnington", which has had the same treatment as the first which was started some time back. Just the ladders and roof catwalks to add now. I was hoping to find an etched kit for the latter but nothing has come to light thus far so I may have to use the Dapol parts in order to get them finished and painted.

20200117_220745.jpg.2339e95f0307dc02154201142c7cc65f.jpg

The first wagon had the kit buffers tweaked while the second has LMS early Presflo buffers fitted.

20200117_220620.jpg.acb984bfde0451440c4591089c22ca87.jpg

Peco NEM coupler pocket adapter plates were fitted to both. I also added the kit Vacuum Pipes and coupling hooks, adapted slightly.

20200117_220832.jpg.c968925e19d5375df521031fad55cf6d.jpg20200117_150125.jpg.3c2a5dad26de93c1e6dd2911215595fd.jpg

As can be seen, the bodies and chassis were built as separate sub assemblies for ease of spraying, which caused a couple of headaches around fitting the end support plates (due to all the angled surfaces) during assembly.

I hope to get them painted this weekend.

Hi Martin,

I do like a Presflo or 29 !

DSCF0421.JPG.90bbc5121d9b43d653fabc5d35897e87.JPG

A selection of 24 that I built shewing the six livery variants I chose to model.

DSCF0680.JPG.00395892ee05e94122d9f0a803ad13c5.JPG

Twin silo ICI bulk salt Presflos tanks.

DSCF0683.JPG.52d5dc51cf789f73dc4ae35b1a247db4.JPG

Cut and shut Fly Ash CSV / CSA build for a possible 3d print.

I note that this is the one thousandth post !

Gibbo.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martin,

I do like a Presflo or 29 !

DSCF0421.JPG.90bbc5121d9b43d653fabc5d35897e87.JPG

A selection of 24 that I built shewing the six livery variants I chose to model.

DSCF0680.JPG.00395892ee05e94122d9f0a803ad13c5.JPG

Twin silo ICI bulk salt Presflos tanks.

DSCF0683.JPG.52d5dc51cf789f73dc4ae35b1a247db4.JPG

Cut and shut Fly Ash CSV / CSA build for a possible 3d print.

I note that this is the one thousandth post !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

they look really good, think I'd go mad building that many! Which transfers did you use? Now I think about it I'm not sure I have enough left to do 2 wagons in standard Bauxite colours......

I hadn't realised this little thread had got to one thousand posts, thanks for pointing it out!

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
Amend text.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Gibbo,

they look really good, think I'd go mad building that many! Which transfers did you use? Now I think about it I'm not sure I have enough left to do 2 wagons in standard Bauxite colours......

I hadn't realised this little thread had got to one thousand posts, thanks for pointing it out!

Martyn.

Hi Martin,

For the Bauxite Presflos I used Railtec Sheet 6531:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1862

For the ICI Bulk Salt Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL 109:

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Cambridge Custom Transfers also do alternative markings for Bauxite Presflos with sheets, BL152 and BL155. I didn't find these until after I had painted and applied transfers to all of mine or I may well have used some for extra variation.

With the Railtec transfers I did a bit of cut and shut to alter the arrangement of the way the letters were placed with regard the ribs of the body sides for a bit of variation. There are plenty of options to muse over on Paul Barlett's Presflo wagon gallery.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martin,

For the Bauxite Presflos I used Railtec Sheet 6531:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1862

For the ICI Bulk Salt Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL 109:

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Cambridge Custom Transfers also do alternative markings for Bauxite Presflos with sheets, BL152 and BL155. I didn't find these until after I had painted and applied transfers to all of mine or I may well have used some for extra variation.

With the Railtec transfers I did a bit of cut and shut to alter the arrangement of the way the letters were placed with regard the ribs of the body sides for a bit of variation. There are plenty of options to muse over on Paul Barlett's Presflo wagon gallery.

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo, I will check what I have and if need be, will order one of those sheets. 

Martyn. 

One for fellow DMU fans. Couldn't resist this 3 car class 100/105/101 DMU lash up (linked from ebay). Prototype for everything dept....

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/h2YAAOxycD9TVWZ2/s-l1600.jpg

Which shows well the flat "slab sided with turn-under" profile of the class 100 which has, so far, put me off modelling one. I'm thinking etched sides, but for the thought of forming that turn-under.....yuck! More thought required I think.....

Edited by Signaller69
Add link info.
  • Like 6

The picture is fun and there appears to be some yellow at the end of the middle car, making it a Driving Trailer, somewhat wierd!

Worsley Works will do you a set of etches for the Gloucester 100 unit, being sides and ends. Correspondence I had some while ago suggested the turnunder simply required the side etch to be put in a vice and then pressed against a small radius  rod, sounds easier said than done.

John.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

The picture is fun and there appears to be some yellow at the end of the middle car, making it a Driving Trailer, somewhat wierd!

Worsley Works will do you a set of etches for the Gloucester 100 unit, being sides and ends. Correspondence I had some while ago suggested the turnunder simply required the side etch to be put in a vice and then pressed against a small radius  rod, sounds easier said than done.

John.

Hi John,

Yes the Worseley Works set was what I had in mind. It is the folding of the lower edge being the concern, and getting it consistent along 4 sides, exactly as you suggest, that is the concern. It would presumably need a vice with 10" long jaws too.....

The other option would be to cut n' shut my Hornby 110 sides, reprofile them to a flatter profile and add 1/4 round plastic Evergreen section along the bottom edge to represent the turnunder.

I'm not sure which method is more daunting!

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi John,

Yes the Worseley Works set was what I had in mind. It is the folding of the lower edge being the concern, and getting it consistent along 4 sides, exactly as you suggest, that is the concern. It would presumably need a vice with 10" long jaws too.....

The other option would be to cut n' shut my Hornby 110 sides, reprofile them to a flatter profile and add 1/4 round plastic Evergreen section along the bottom edge to represent the turnunder.

I'm not sure which method is more daunting!

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

No need to buy a long folding bar or vice.....

For long folds/bends I use 2 long steel rules - 18" ones

If they have holes at one end - fasten them together with a nut and bolt.

At the other end drill both rules and do the same.

Clam the metal to be bent between the steel rules and then clamp in a vice at the centre.

This will make straight folds simple to do.

For rounded bends I clamp the thing in the vice and then clamp a length of hardened steel on the inside of where you want the bend.

It's easier to do than write!

Thanks

Phil H

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi Martyn,

No need to buy a long folding bar or vice.....

For long folds/bends I use 2 long steel rules - 18" ones

If they have holes at one end - fasten them together with a nut and bolt.

At the other end drill both rules and do the same.

Clam the metal to be bent between the steel rules and then clamp in a vice at the centre.

This will make straight folds simple to do.

For rounded bends I clamp the thing in the vice and then clamp a length of hardened steel on the inside of where you want the bend.

It's easier to do than write!

Thanks

Phil H

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the idea, I do at least have 2 steel rules so this method may be the way forward.

I put in an order to Railtec Transfers yesterday morning for the Presflos, plus a few other bits; they arrived this morning, very impressive service!

20200121_134412.jpg.e2f9f7a2cb2401ae0a0685b2d56f2355.jpg

The Presflos have had the basic body colours applied, need to spray a coat of gloss varnish on the bodies ready for transfer application next. 

20200121_135537.jpg.971236d8cb9f3033ffb08036cc7c9b76.jpg

In the end I used the Dapol walkways on top, but filed away much of each edge to give a more open impression. Etched ladders and wire grabs were added.

20200121_140240.jpg.e8e9a06ddc86a1edb2d55412e4bed2a3.jpg

Still some touching in of details required (handwheels, handrails etc).

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

I put in an order to Railtec Transfers yesterday morning for the Presflos, plus a few other bits; they arrived this morning, very impressive service!

20200121_134412.jpg.e2f9f7a2cb2401ae0a0685b2d56f2355.jpg

The Presflos have had the basic body colours applied, need to spray a coat of gloss varnish on the bodies ready for transfer application next. 

20200121_135537.jpg.971236d8cb9f3033ffb08036cc7c9b76.jpg

In the end I used the Dapol walkways on top, but filed away much of each edge to give a more open impression. Etched ladders and wire grabs were added.

20200121_140240.jpg.e8e9a06ddc86a1edb2d55412e4bed2a3.jpg

Still some touching in of details required (handwheels, handrails etc).

Looking very smart them Martyn, have a couple in the to do pile so watching closely, like the little truck of filing the edges of the plastic walkways. Nice little tip.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

Transfers applied now, I really like these Railtec ones having not used them before, as there is no fiddly backing to cut to size unlike some waterslide transfers, which is a particular bonus on these wagons with all the framing.

20200122_064127.jpg.7a2797ac16cbcd46e33d1d4858b72026.jpg

Once fully dry they will get a coat of spray acrylic matt varnish as per the instructions, then the 2 halves of each wagon can be finally fixed together.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Looking very smart them Martyn, have a couple in the to do pile so watching closely, like the little truck of filing the edges of the plastic walkways. Nice little tip.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

I should have done that with my ones except that I had built sixteen before I thought it might be a good idea.

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Transfers applied now, I really like these Railtec ones having not used them before, as there is no fiddly backing to cut to size unlike some waterslide transfers, which is a particular bonus on these wagons with all the framing.

20200122_064127.jpg.7a2797ac16cbcd46e33d1d4858b72026.jpg

Once fully dry they will get a coat of spray acrylic matt varnish as per the instructions, then the 2 halves of each wagon can be finally fixed together.

Hi Martyn,

Make sure your varnish is water based or the solvent might dissolve your transfers, been there done that !  I use B&Q satin varnish which is water based to first seal in my transfers although I do brush paint Railmatch matt varnish on my wagons.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I should have done that with my ones except that I had built sixteen before I thought it might be a good idea.

Hi Martyn,

Make sure your varnish is water based or the solvent might dissolve your transfers, been there done that !  I use B&Q satin varnish which is water based to first seal in my transfers although I do brush paint Railmatch matt varnish on my wagons.

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo, thanks for the warning; I did note the Railtec information on spraying varnish which makes me wary, after having an issue with another modern transfer producer's products. A gentle misting is called for so I will try acrylic varnish on one side from a distance and see how it goes. Any problems and I will go for water based acrylic brushed on gently to seal them, then spray over.

Cheers,

Martyn.

3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Hello Martyn,

What is the source of the (rather fine - in both senses) etched ladders please?

Thanks

Hi Andy,

They are from an RT Models Dapol Type B Tank wagon etched detail fret, suitably cut down. They are rather fragile but are able to be manipulated to the right shape at the top where they turn 90° onto the top of the "roof". I was hoping to use the walkways from the same fret but they are too narrow unfortunately. 

Thanks,

Martyn. 

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Cheers

James

Thanks James, the centre walkway was done first, filing away either side of the moulding pips. Once fixed in place the end walkways had the centre portion With the pips removed. The holes in the roof at each end had filler applied and sanded before using Mek Pak to fit them in place. It is quite fiddly holding the parts whilst filing them but worthwhile for the effect I feel.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks Gibbo, thanks for the warning; I did note the Railtec information on spraying varnish which makes me wary, after having an issue with another modern transfer producer's products. A gentle misting is called for so I will try acrylic varnish on one side from a distance and see how it goes. Any problems and I will go for water based acrylic brushed on gently to seal them, then spray over.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi

I've had no problem with either brushing Johnsons Klear or spraying Vallejo Matt varnish over the Railtec Transfers.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

I've had no problem with either brushing Johnsons Klear or spraying Vallejo Matt varnish over the Railtec Transfers.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul, I'm happy to report that MoTip Matt Clear acrylic varnish (my recent aerosol varnish of choice) worked fine with no issues. (I will put some photos up shortly.) When I get around to airbrushing I will bare your recommendations in mind.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Both wagons have had the bodies fixed to the chassis, the air pipes running from chassis to the top of the roof attached and another gentle blast of varnish to seal everything. No issues with the transfers as I used light passes of varnish. Wheels have just been refitted too.

20200122_162250.jpg.27fda8be74cbbfeb43025ddad23834b3.jpg20200122_162052.jpg.d50984d114d8d6faa6880671c56cfb0c.jpg20200122_162208.jpg.2eef41aa244fe009546c87fad49a1618.jpg

Just some weathering needed now, slot the NEM pockets in, and good to go.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Both wagons have had the bodies fixed to the chassis, the air pipes running from chassis to the top of the roof attached and another gentle blast of varnish to seal everything. No issues with the transfers as I used light passes of varnish. Wheels have just been refitted too.

20200122_162250.jpg.27fda8be74cbbfeb43025ddad23834b3.jpg20200122_162052.jpg.d50984d114d8d6faa6880671c56cfb0c.jpg20200122_162208.jpg.2eef41aa244fe009546c87fad49a1618.jpg

Just some weathering needed now, slot the NEM pockets in, and good to go.

Hi Martyn,

Having viewed your Presflo tanks I now have a question and that is to the colour of paint on the platforms at the ends of the frames over the buffers.

I painted all of my Presflos with a bauxite platform as do Bachmann, I did this partly because Bachmann do and also that after looking at various photos on Paul Bartlett's site there are some colour photographs of newly painted ones and there is a bauxite strip over the sole bars which I took to mean that the entire platform is bauxite and not just the edge with the top painted black.

There is one photograph that definitely shews bauxite platforms along with bauxite buffer beams and buffers, that said other photos do look as though they are black and have black buffers and buffer beams also. Most look as though they are varying shades of general grot colour along with the rest of the tank and frame set.

It may well be that there are different paint styles as to what is black and what is bauxite as the buffers and buffer beams shew.

I'm perplexed, perhaps once weathered no one will notice !

Gibbo.

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

Having viewed your Presflo tanks I now have a question and that is to the colour of paint on the platforms at the ends of the frames over the buffers.

I painted all of my Presflos with a bauxite platform as do Bachmann, I did this partly because Bachmann do and also that after looking at various photos on Paul Bartlett's site there are some colour photographs of newly painted ones and there is a bauxite strip over the sole bars which I took to mean that the entire platform is bauxite and not just the edge with the top painted black.

There is one photograph that definitely shews bauxite platforms along with bauxite buffer beams and buffers, that said other photos do look as though they are black and have black buffers and buffer beams also. Most look as though they are varying shades of general grot colour along with the rest of the tank and frame set.

It may well be that there are different paint styles as to what is black and what is bauxite as the buffers and buffer beams shew.

I'm perplexed, perhaps once weathered no one will notice !

Gibbo.

I have no idea I'm afraid Gibbo. I must admit when I did a couple of Presflos many years ago, I did the platforms in bauxite but photos are usually inconclusive, this one from Paul Bartlett's site being a fairly typical appearance:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpresflo/h1f0b268a

I'm aware some certainly had bauxite bufferbeams too. But then the lettering layouts varied tremendously, also some had white ladders, some didn't, and some don't seem to have had handrails around the top of the ladder. 

In my case, a conclusive photo of a freshly painted bauxite one (or more) c.1968-71 would be useful.

I was of a mind that weathering would hide the true colour, but I might do one wagon with bauxite platforms and/or bufferbeams, the jury is still out.....

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
Add to text.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Today I bit the bullet and painted the Presflo end platforms bauxite. Much weathering to follow I suspect.

As may be seen I am also finally getting around to completing the Triang cut and shut Mk.1 SK which was started months ago, now that the white lining has been applied. The ruling pens will be used again when it comes to fitting the windows (either Replica or Kitmaster).

20200123_223850.jpg.a31288ee0db459baebbb76a0c3a37814.jpg

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Today I bit the bullet and painted the Presflo end platforms bauxite. Much weathering to follow I suspect.

As may be seen I am also finally getting around to completing the Triang cut and shut Mk.1 SK which was started months ago, now that the white lining has been applied. The ruling pens will be used again when it comes to fitting the windows (either Replica or Kitmaster).

20200123_223850.jpg.a31288ee0db459baebbb76a0c3a37814.jpg

Hi Martyn,

It seems that we have both managed quite successfully to plant doubt into each others minds as to the colours of painting schemes of Presflo tanks !

I have to say I don't know one way or another definitively, does anyone ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

It seems that we have both managed quite successfully to plant doubt into each others minds as to the colours of painting schemes of Presflo tanks !

I have to say I don't know one way or another definitively, does anyone ?

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

It is one of those thorny modelling questions, I agree.:good:

I went with black for ease of painting (read "being lazy"), but on reflection, I think Bauxite probably is more likely for the end platforms as we know photos show some wagons definitely had this colour, whereas I have not seen a definitive photo showing any to be black. However I do think bauxite bufferbeams might have been a later addition, but as you say, who knows for sure? Safest bet is weathering to a known state of filth I think!

I had a look in Don Rowland's book "British Railways Wagons - The First Half Million", which has a photo of an almost new Presflo being discharged in 1954; the platforms -or certainly the edges- look to be bauxite (though it is a b&w photo). Interestingly, the wagon lettering is just "BULK CEMENT" squeezed into 2 rows along the middle band of the wagon. It also shows the use of a portable compressor with the air hose connected on the (near) non-handwheel side, the discharge pipe being from the (far) handwheel side, pretty much at full stretch around the wagon and up to the top hatch of the road vehicle it is discharging into.

The book also refers to the salt wagon development of the Presflo (lot 3029, 30 wagons, plus lot 3134, 15 wagons with side discharge) but no photos unfortunately. 

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Agree 1