16 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

5127 has had the open battery isolation switch hatch added and my small Railtech order has arrived. The 3d loco builders plates transfers are exquisite, far better than my attempts to photograph them!

20200714_211817.jpg.64c7fde1ac91030f84bf3d4f73370766.jpg20200714_212301.jpg.5d93369bc9809724634b1745600e9bd5.jpg20200714_213023.jpg.9b4646a58d1d0d14066a54eb4e20200c.jpg20200714_213132.jpg.47d3f26fdeaeb28eeeeaf5c3d8db5b9e.jpg20200714_213417.jpg.bf6973b1f2e061bb214dbd4957f59523.jpg20200714_213622.jpg.f9925a1bb489ab35b4a95b97da543325.jpg

They look brilliant, have seen the 34 name plates but not the builders ones, may have to invest in some for my 2 Deltics in bits.. hmm

Top job on 5127, the plates will set it off nicely.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

They look brilliant, have seen the 34 name plates but not the builders ones, may have to invest in some for my 2 Deltics in bits.. hmm

Top job on 5127, the plates will set it off nicely.

Cheers

James

Hi James, thanks, they really are good, the photos don't really show it but some of the larger plates are BR blue as well as the black ones. Railtech do a couple of different sets. I'm now going to have to fit them to the rest of my fleet by the looks of it!

Martyn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James, thanks, they really are good, the photos don't really show it but some of the larger plates are BR blue as well as the black ones. Railtech do a couple of different sets. I'm now going to have to fit them to the rest of my fleet by the looks of it!

Martyn.

I can feel the same coming on!

• Like 1

Photos can be very cruel, making the tiniest blemish look ten times worse than it. This loco has several such blemishes due to past work, but thankfully they barely show from 12" away, let alone normal viewing distance. I was pleased how the headlights and works plates came out. Just need to tone down the headcode box glazing and weather the fuel tanks again now that the gauges have been removed (not present on 5127).

20200717_110114.jpg.915b7c4aee5602157b5f7f915df9578f.jpg20200717_110310.jpg.5046c4700c975d800f6d573a2f4ad585.jpg20200717_110150.jpg.7fefbe912df318e380aabb391b78d34d.jpg20200717_110806.jpg.10d30d48fa3c39475f8f84e02e0da47b.jpg

I have another bargain impulse buy to muse over now; a Bachmann class 46, justified on the grounds that they got to Glasgow fairly regularly in the 60s/70s, not sure what direction this is going to take yet though.

20200717_113426.jpg.863505be9b75843ac1c3f8a5e620ca84.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Martyn,

I quite enjoyed chopping about some Hornby 25's into class 24's, just for the fun of it I modelled 24 021 as it was painted blue with old style crests instead of the Arrows of Indecision. I have two 24's and a 25, I might have to get another 25 or perhaps two.

One thing I did do was to fit my locomotives with the wheels from class 86's as they are the correct size.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

I quite enjoyed chopping about some Hornby 25's into class 24's, just for the fun of it I modelled 24 021 as it was painted blue with old style crests instead of the Arrows of Indecision. I have two 24's and a 25, I might have to get another 25 or perhaps two.

One thing I did do was to fit my locomotives with the wheels from class 86's as they are the correct size.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo, 

I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Hornby 25, to my eye they got the cab shape much better than the Bachmann version, and the bodyside grilles are a little more subtle, I'm surprised they haven't kept it a staple in the Railroad range really (I assume due to ditching the Ringfield motor bogies, which would mean re-designing the chassis and bogies). Just my opinion of course.

I did eye up a couple yesterday but came away with the 46 instead, but I may tackle another 25 or 2 at some point.

Martyn.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Over the S&C via Leeds City North as 1M86 (up T-CE to St. Pancras) ? :mosking:

That would be the logical answer! :mocking_mini: Though I have an early 60s photo of one at Balornock on what looks like a trip freight of about half a dozen ancient unfitted wagons, which seems a little less obvious, if not looking faintly ridiculous!:yes:

• Like 2

Having now looked at lots of online photos, I think the 46 may gain full yellow ends as D138 or 155, or 144 which had larger non-standard yellow panels, as the model is basically mint (apart from a number change), so otherwise doesn't require a full repaint. The FYE's would limit the loco to a short time span but would fit well with the rest of my fleet.

20200718_113503.jpg.2cbb1be8d43352aa0bdaaab466afce46.jpg

I have never looked into the Peaks from a modelling perspective and hadn't realised the errors in the early Bachmann Peak nose, which was presumably based more or less off the Mainline version. Namely, from studying photos it looks a good few inches too low, the error appearing to be above the line running round the nose, being particularly noticable around the corners and above the nose side vents. Possibly the cab windows are a fraction too deep as a result. Rectifying it would be a major undertaking I feel, and would of course then require paintwork and flush glazing. Has anyone attempted such a modification?

The other noticable issue is the boiler filler hatches are plated over on this model, along with the boiler vent being on the wrong side it seems, though those aren't so hard to rectify using photos as a guide, along with removing the superfluous underframe air tanks, and of course moving the bufferbeams onto the bogies.

It is safe to say it is also the heaviest loco I own by some margin!

I seem to remember the issue of the Mainline Peak nose was the subject of various articles in the days when this was the only RTR show in town, so before the re-tooled Bachmann models. These re-tooled models in the first run also had an error in omitting the horizontal seam at the top, something not difficult to remedy however.

The answer to yours would be to cut horizontally at the point of the top seam, and above the side grilles on the nose, and then put some packing underneath. From memory part of the problem is the forward slope on the top of the Mainline nose, so the packing would be more of a wedge shape, greater at the front. I should add that I've never done this, as by the time I came back into modelling the re-tooled Bachmann examples appeared, and I went for these. I was particularly delighted that they did D1 - D8 with the slightly different sized body grilles to the later ones, and I have one of these bodies now fitted with the different grilles again for D10 waiting for spraying.

I suspect there are a set of small discrepancies in the dimensions on the Mainline nose, and even if you did the packing it might still not look quite right. You say that the chassis is the modern heavy centre motor type, and one option might be to look for a re-tooled Bachmann body sold as a spare that you could use instead.

John.

• Informative/Useful 1

Yes, I think you're right about the "Peak" nose being too low: so far on one of mine (Mainline body on Bachmann flywheel drive chassis) I sawed off the top of the nose round the line you mentioned and inserted some packing (40 or 60thou, can't recall).  I haven't done anything about the cab windows yet - I keep hoping one of the after-market suppliers will produce etched ones, like the ones you can get for 37s/40s.

The other major improvement is to saw the bufferbeams off the body and fabricate new deeper ones fitted to the bogies - I got some castings for this but haven't fitted them yet.

The most recent Bachmann Peaks are greatly improved in these areas, but I'll stick with improving my two rather than upgrading by complete replacement.

Alasdair

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 14:34, Signaller69 said:

I suggest using the DMU diagram book plans on the Barrowmore site for reference too.

Hi.

from visiting this site I have found the EMU, & loco hauled plans but no direct link & above the first mention of the DMU's

I dis look in their site for links but unable to see any reference to the diagram books.

Thus a direct link please would be nice.

Peter.this cut & shut does look nice.

I did years ago turn a Lima class 117 brake into a trailer car & make a single car unit.

Then ran out of ideas!

I need to read through now the class 123 with the ''Trix'' ? coaches

thanks

Peter

21 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

20200717_110310.jpg.5046c4700c975d800f6d573a2f4ad585.jpg

Something else you might like to consider: the driver's side windows need to be horizontally-sliding because the space for the vertical droplight mechanism is taken by the tablet-catcher recess.  This means that the side windows were different at each end - see this panned pic I took of 5132 at Inverness in 1972:

425915060_BF-14Jan72D5132Invss(2).jpg.b73f673dfc0da72b90acce2a1231419a.jpg

HTH !

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, AJCT said:

Yes, I think you're right about the "Peak" nose being too low: so far on one of mine (Mainline body on Bachmann flywheel drive chassis) I sawed off the top of the nose round the line you mentioned and inserted some packing (40 or 60thou, can't recall).  I haven't done anything about the cab windows yet - I keep hoping one of the after-market suppliers will produce etched ones, like the ones you can get for 37s/40s.

The other major improvement is to saw the bufferbeams off the body and fabricate new deeper ones fitted to the bogies - I got some castings for this but haven't fitted them yet.

The most recent Bachmann Peaks are greatly improved in these areas, but I'll stick with improving my two rather than upgrading by complete replacement.

Alasdair

Here's a pic of my two: D20 on the right (Mainline body) has the modified nose and the bogie-mounted buffer-beams (temporarily borrowed from a Lima Class 40... don't ask...), compared with unmodified D167.  D20 also has split headcode boxes - a set of etched ones I got many years ago so can't recall who made them.

121955446_Peaknoses.jpg.4a5dbecdcc7f876b7b3eb3ad12cef9b7.jpg

HTH -

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

The answer to yours would be to cut horizontally at the point of the top seam, and above the side grilles on the nose, and then put some packing underneath. From memory part of the problem is the forward slope on the top of the Mainline nose, so the packing would be more of a wedge shape, greater at the front.

5 hours ago, AJCT said:

Thanks both,

yes I think I am going to follow suit, although I had wondered about adding a plasticard blank over the top of the bonnet, filled around the edges, instead of the "cut and lift" method you have both employed, but I think your approach is probably a safer idea.

Thanks,

Martyn.

4 hours ago, Peter Eaton said:

Hi.

from visiting this site I have found the EMU, & loco hauled plans but no direct link & above the first mention of the DMU's

I dis look in their site for links but unable to see any reference to the diagram books.

Thus a direct link please would be nice.

Peter.this cut & shut does look nice.

I did years ago turn a Lima class 117 brake into a trailer car & make a single car unit.

Then ran out of ideas!

I need to read through now the class 123 with the ''Trix'' ? coaches

thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

Due to the way the Barrowmore site works I am unable do give direct links to individual pages, but the Class 126 drawings pages are given below, found in Book 220.

On 04/06/2020 at 08:23, Signaller69 said:

The 126 Drawings are in book 220 on the Barrowmore site however, albeit they take a lot of scrolling to find (Type as annotated on plans):

DMS                       (DP208)  P19

DMBS (E&G)         (DQ225)  P175

DMBS  (Ayrshire) (DQ226)  P177

TS                           (DT223)   P293

TS                           (DT224)   P295

If it is the class 123 you are interested in, they are in the same book, just a matter of scrolling through I'm afraid!

Hope this helps.

Martyn.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, AJCT said:

Something else you might like to consider: the driver's side windows need to be horizontally-sliding because the space for the vertical droplight mechanism is taken by the tablet-catcher recess.  This means that the side windows were different at each end - see this panned pic I took of 5132 at Inverness in 1972:

425915060_BF-14Jan72D5132Invss(2).jpg.b73f673dfc0da72b90acce2a1231419a.jpg

HTH !

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair,

I knew I'd forget something! Not a problem as I had fitted my own glazing in place of the Hornby side windows originally so just need to replace the one either side with the sliding type.:yes:

33 minutes ago, AJCT said:

Here's a pic of my two: D20 on the right (Mainline body) has the modified nose and the bogie-mounted buffer-beams (temporarily borrowed from a Lima Class 40... don't ask...), compared with unmodified D167.  D20 also has split headcode boxes - a set of etched ones I got many years ago so can't recall who made them.

HTH -

Alasdair

That does look a big improvement I have to say. How did you marry up the bonnet to the bottom of the windscreen? Was there a gap that required filling due to the backward rake of the windscreen?

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn -

You're welcome. 

It's quite a long time ago now and I can't recall my MO with D20's noses - probably just my usual "bodgit and fudgit" approach - but I've just had a look inside the noses and it looks like the packing to increase the height was 40thou.  I can't see any packing under the windscreen (ie to take up the width of the saw-cut) so maybe I just used a lot of plastic cement like Britfix and filed it all smooth when it had set hard !  Sorry if that's not very helpful....

Cheers -

Alasdair

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, AJCT said:

Hi Martyn -

You're welcome. 

It's quite a long time ago now and I can't recall my MO with D20's noses - probably just my usual "bodgit and fudgit" approach - but I've just had a look inside the noses and it looks like the packing to increase the height was 40thou.  I can't see any packing under the windscreen (ie to take up the width of the saw-cut) so maybe I just used a lot of plastic cement like Britfix and filed it all smooth when it had set hard !  Sorry if that's not very helpful....

Cheers -

Alasdair

Thanks Alasdair, it is most helpful. "Bodgit and fudgit" is a technique I am happily familiar with! I was guessing the nose height discrepancy is about 3-4" so 40thou/ 1mm plasticard sounds about right to me.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AJCT said:

HTH -

Alasdair

That's tremendous, makes all the difference!

Craftsman did some cast white metal split headcode boxes once upon a time, these look much finer however.

John.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Peaks, got a few.

Most the front end mods were done with a craft knife, filler and plastic card. The ones with the buffer beams in the right place were done by me with plastic card and round sprue for the pony truck swing link housings. 551715268_contentsofbox3.jpg.2054cea1aa2f727bd4fca9616d17b0e2.jpg

The MTK body on the Mainline chassis goes like bu88ery.

A pair of Mainline Peaks hurtling around my train set. 

Some Hornby class 25 conversions, and I still use them alongside the wonderful Sutton class 24s.

100_5072a.jpg.6c418bf0a36414bf117a8f8d5761ba81.jpg

100_5074a.jpg.5418a4410eb3d88f3a9e0d9abbc8b40a.jpg

100_5164a.jpg.4fb6052abe2e2ba04c15689f3fcd823d.jpg

This loco with become a class 25/0, it is in a more advanced stage but not finished.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Peaks, got a few.

Most the front end mods were done with a craft knife, filler and plastic card. The ones with the buffer beams in the right place were done by me with plastic card and round sprue for the pony truck swing link housings. 551715268_contentsofbox3.jpg.2054cea1aa2f727bd4fca9616d17b0e2.jpg

The MTK body on the Mainline chassis goes like bu88ery.

A pair of Mainline Peaks hurtling around my train set. 

Some Hornby class 25 conversions, and I still use them alongside the wonderful Sutton class 24s.

100_5072a.jpg.6c418bf0a36414bf117a8f8d5761ba81.jpg

100_5074a.jpg.5418a4410eb3d88f3a9e0d9abbc8b40a.jpg

100_5164a.jpg.4fb6052abe2e2ba04c15689f3fcd823d.jpg

This loco with become a class 25/0, it is in a more advanced stage but not finished.

Hi Clive,

lovely stuff as always, nice selection of type 2s & 4s there. Your episode of Twin Peaks is far more enjoyable than the original series of that name...! :mocking_mini:

I think you may have convinced me I need to pick up the Hornby 25 I saw in my local Model Shop too!

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

12 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Book 220.

Martyn

Thanks.

By chance or Sods Law I found in an earlier message the

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html

page, previously there had been links to just individual books.

This page seems to have an major interesting library available there

The books I had previously looked at do seem difficult to relate to as the BR diagrams have no reference to the basic class we all know the units, as.

again thanks.

From just above did a Craftsman detailing kit onto a Peak to obviously get the buffer beam correct many years ago.

How times have changed regarding ready to run models!

Peter

• Like 1