Index of main themes:

Page 1: Vans, Class 29; NCB "Ebbw ".

Page 2: NCB "Ebbw ", NCB "Islwyn", Class 29.

Page 3: Class 29, Class 37 restoration.

Page 4: Class 37, NCB feed van, early Class 26 air brake conversion, fishing boat build.

Page 5: Class 126 RTR bash.

Page 6:   "    "    "    "    "    "

Page 7:   "    "    "    "    "    "

Page 8:   "    "    "    "    "    "   & Crinan lorries.

Page 9:   "    "    "    "    "    "   & Crinan lorries.

Page 10: Crinan lorries, Mk.1 BFK conversion.

Page 11: Mk.1 BFK & RB.

Page 12: Mk.1 BSO conversion.

Page 13: Mk.1 early TSO build.

Page 14: Crinan Buses, Class 29 roof.

Page 15: BRT Grain Hopper "blues".

Page 16: Class 126 TCK.

Page 17: Hornby Class 08 restoration.

Page 18 - 25: Class 303 DC kit build.

Page 26: Dapol "Pug" to Fowler 0-4-0DM "Churchill" conversion.

Page 27: Dapol Class B to Class A tank wagon conversion.

Page 28: Bachmann TTA to TTV conversion & more vans.

Page 29: More vans; resleepering Peco points; BRT Whisky Grain.

Page 30: BRT Whisky Grain discussion.

Page 31: Derwent Valley Projects; DVLR rolling stock & class 04's.

Page 32: Derwent Valley Projects.

Page 33: more Triang Mk.1 Cut n' shuts.

Page 34: Triang Mk.1 Cut n' shuts, Bachmann 04 axle swap, Dapol Presflo.

Page 35: Presflo & BRT Blues, Dapol class 29 preview.

Page 36: Class 29, DMU musings.

Page 37: Class 107 DMU.

Page 38:   "         "        "

Page 39:   "         "        "

Page 40:   "         "        "

Page 41: Presflo completion. 

Page 42: DMU Footsteps.

Page 43: Class 29 to 6123 discs conversion.

Page 44: P&T 06-32 Tamper build.

Page 45:    "        "          "             "

Page 46:    "        "          "             "

Page 47: Completing the 06-32 & Trackside Morris to DVLR BMC van.

Page 48: Class 126 DMBSLi repaint

Page 49: Another Class 126 TCL build

Page 50:      "            "        "      "        "

Page 51: 126 E&G powering

Page 52: New layout! & Class 24/1 redux.

Page 53: Hybrid Highland Class 24/1.

Page 54: Class 46 fettling.

Page 55: Bachy Class 46 & Hornby 25

Page 56:     "      "       "       "     .

Page 57:     "      "       "       "     .

Page 58: Quick Triang Mk.1 CK redux.

Page 59: Bachmann 46 continued. 

Page 60: Bachmann 46 continued. 

Page 61: Parkside BR Tube wagon.

Page 62: Mk1 TPO dia 729.

Page 63: Class 100 DMU build.

Page 64:     "       "       "        "

Page 65:     "       "       "        "

Page 66:     "       "       "        "

Page 67:     "       "       "        "

Page 68:     "       "       "        "

Page 69: rattle-can paint discussion/ Bachy class 24/1 renumber / 105 DMU Brake van alteration.

Page 70: Class 105 DMC to DTC.

Page 71: class 29 6123 yellow end redux/ BRT hopper resin castings.

Page 72: BRT hopper detailing.

Page 73: BRT hopper detailing & recent class 24/25 project resin underframe production. 

Page 74-78: Class 24/25 project.

Page 79: Railroad Class 121 to 122.

Page 80: Class 122.

Page 81/82: Back to 24s/25s!

Page 83: Multiple Working 24 & 25.

Page 84: Flatrol MHH Triang rebuild.

page 85: Thompson Buffet Car build & class 122 becomes a 131!

(Index is so I can hopefully find it again!)

This is a thread for my various loco & rolling stock projects, which can be anything from simple weathering through to heavy RTR- bashing. My philosophy is keep things as cost effective as possible, using RTR, kits and scratchbuilding, and tailor things to my requirements and compromising where needed. I am not a perfectionist or rivet counter so there is no suggestion that my way of doing things is the right way, it is just my way and I aim for a "viewing distance realism" rather than perfection. Comments, questions and discussion are welcome. 

Martyn.

Edit for title change.

Edited by Signaller69
Occasional index / title update.
  • Informative/Useful 1

Latest job involved a little retouching of paintwork and weathering on one of Crinan's class 29's. This is a Bachby hybrid (Hornby body, heavily reworked, on a Bachmann Class 25 chassis for the improved running this chassis offers). Bodywork mods include new and revised bodyside and roof grilles, revised roof exhaust and other detail, opening out the windows and various detail alterations on the cab fronts, fitting of a driver in the donated class 25 cab interior etc, and glazing cut to fit the enlarged windows. The original Hornby underframe was also modified to accept the donor chassis. Some bufferbeam pipework needs to be sourced to complete the look. Also on the bench for the same reason is a 24/1 which is even more of a hybrid (more like Trigger's broom!) in that it started out years ago as a Hornby 25 bought already converted to a 24/0, which then had a Model Power mechanism butchered to fit the Hornby Underframe, followed by the body alterations to make it into a 24/1. I was never overly happy with the finish so having a Bachmann class 25 body spare from the 29 project, I modified that to fit the 24 chassis. So the only original part of the loco is the underframe!

post-28743-0-19630400-1469086024.jpgpost-28743-0-25617600-1469086003.jpgpost-28743-0-94462400-1469085984.jpg

The question now is will I replace these with the Dapol 29 and Bachmann 24/1? In the case of the former I will wait to see the shade of blue used as the 22 looked wrong to me. Also the Bachmann 24/1 doesn't appear to be being released is an Inverness version (with 5 slot grille covers, token apperatus cabside cutouts and twin headlights etc) so I will wait and see if and when they appear.post-28743-0-39296200-1469088172.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Latest wagon to receive work, an old Mainline Bogie Bolster 'C' relegated to the S&T dept (fishkind name "Prawn"), with dismantled signal load. New handbrake levers fitted, along with modern Hornby wheels and Kadee no.5 couplers, otherwise a straight repaint and reletter with a mild dose of weathering, copied from a photo in a Departmental Stock book. It will run with the Sturgeons pictured earlier.

post-28743-0-36678200-1469979822.jpgpost-28743-0-49824800-1469979760.jpgpost-28743-0-44563500-1469979745.jpgpost-28743-0-50791600-1469979712.jpg

• Like 6

Finally got hold of Hornby's only BR Blue/Grey Mk.1 coach from the current range, the R4646 "Express Parcels" Full Brake (BG), which I only became aware of through a Hattons advert a few months back. They and just about all other suppliers sold out pretty quickly it seems and Hornby themselves have sold out too. Found this one on Amazon, full RRP £24.99 but free postage which sealed the deal. Finish is up to Hornby's usual standards, I have yet to check how the colours compare with Bachmann's blue/grey Mk.1's. Hopefully Hornby will do the rest of their Mk.1 range in this scheme as this coach has evidently sold well.

This will be added to the list of projects awaiting detailing/weathering. As will be noted Kadee no.19 Long NEM couplers have been fitted already (Hornby's bogie mounted NEM pockets are much more suited to these couplings than the Bachmann cam mounted versions in my experience).

post-28743-0-33205000-1470347993.jpgpost-28743-0-37838100-1470348047.jpg

Finally ready for "Crinan" are the 3 Hornby "Insul-fish" vans shown earlier, weathered as per various photos c.1970 representing the then rapidly reducing pool of vans still in use for fish, though I left the Hornby numbering intact.

post-28743-0-47919100-1470348686.jpgpost-28743-0-57152500-1470348703.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

A quickie project I've been wanting to do for a while, a rare BR S&T unfitted open wagon, Lot 2608, Diagram BR1/619 built Wolverton 1955. Only 6 were built (DB997300-997305) with wooden planked drop sides and steel ends, strangely no known code name. But they seem to have ended up on spoil duties in Scotland (based Rutherglen), lasting into the 1970s.

An unemployed Airfix 21T hopper wagon supplied the chassis which appears to be very close, if not spot on for this wagon judging by the main photo I was working from ( p58 of BR Departmental Rolling Stock, A Pictorial Survey - D. Larkin/Bradford Barton). 2mm planked and plain Plasticard of varying thicknesses make up the bodywork. The ends should feature lots of rivets so I may get hold of some 3D rivet decals, though I may just paint it as is and go heavy on the rust during weathering! Not perfect maybe but fun to do. Progress so far:

post-28743-0-08347900-1471222439.jpgpost-28743-0-47768800-1471222468.jpgpost-28743-0-46184000-1471222487.jpg

• Like 3

Another budget project.

Reworked Dapol Steel Open (Sand) wagon converted to Dia. 1/049 "Hybar".

The Dapol wagon mates the old Hornby Dublo Steel Open wagon body with their standard basic unfitted chassis. I picked the dia 1/049 as it uses standard Vacuum fitted Morton brake gear, (link here: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bropencoilkyv/h12a452b6 ) meaning the original chassis could be retained, with modifications, which do lift it over the original a little. Most of these LNER designed Steel Open wagons use the 8 shoe LNER Brakegear, hence choosing this particular diagram to model.

Chassis work involved fitting an ABS vac cylinder and actuating rod, axle guard tie bars and door springs.

Body work required scratchbuilding the tarpaulin bar (piano wire and plasticard) and associated fittings on the wagon ends (from Evergreen plastic section & tube), plus the fitting of lower body strengthening gussets (Evergreen half round rod) and scoring the exposed floor plank ends below them (these features of the real wagons, together with the crude plates welded to the bottom of the body to secure it to the chassis, gave them a particularly untidy appearance!).

post-28743-0-47527600-1471705893.jpg

My ancient trusty Woodhead Transfers sheet provided lettering etc, copied from my chosen photo on P.44 in "British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour" (Hendry/Midland Publishing), with weathering/rusting applied using Acrylics as per previous posts.

• Like 8

Work has started on "Big Arch Shed" J94 "Ebbw". Old Dapol "Warrington" bought cheaply for the project has been dismantled for paint stripping. The paint on these models has always been susceptible to damage through grease and oil and had already peeled in places; this is the result after the first course of "Modelstrip" application.

Photo also explains the join in the lower saddle tank sides due to the fairly substantial mechanism. Some nice detail on this 80s loco, the wheels being the worst aspect of the model in my view, but for the price I can live with it, I didn't fancy doing the complex paint finish of the real loco on a brand new DJ Models loco to be honest! Shopping with RT Models for chimney, buffers etc next.

post-28743-0-34870900-1471960743.jpgpost-28743-0-50490400-1471960763.jpgpost-28743-0-05906100-1471960786.jpg

• Like 1

After second application of Modelstrip to the cab and saddle tank, the J94 is loosely reassembled pending arrival of RT models etched bufferbeams, chimney and injector pipes from their range here:http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_023.htm.

Link to good photo of the prototype at Big Arch Shed here:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5184/5686629264_e4e7408e7f_b.jpg .

The diagonal handrails and centre running plate steps will need removing along with other detail changes too, although to save time I have not bothered stripping the paint from the running plate, and I will probably retain the remaining original handrails.

post-28743-0-05280100-1472050676.jpg

Study of the prototype shows little of the green paint left (top of the saddle tank shows original colour best), most having worn off to leave a black/rust patina, I may emulate this by painting the loco black and then brushing green paint on to match the photo as best I can. The yellow/red and yellow/black chevrons, as well as name transfers will be produced as simple transfers on my PC and applied during, or even before the painting stage, in order to blend them in.

• Like 1

Work in progress on the J94/"Ebbw".

post-28743-0-91979800-1472386511.jpg

The Saddle Tank has had the diagonal handrail and associated footsteps removed (resulting holes and the gap in the lower part of the saddle tank filled with Humbrol Model Filler); a replacement step in a slightly different position has been fashioned from an old Airfix "Schools" kit part with further fettling to come. The centre running plate footsteps have also been removed. A new chimney is on order from RT Models. The mould line along the top of the tank has been sanded off too.

post-28743-0-19680400-1472386527.jpg

The Smokebox door has had the moulded numberplate and dart removed, latter replaced with an RT Models lost wax casting. Curved ends of the handrail removed (otherwise handrails left as original). New lamp iron added above Smokebox Door. On the Running Plate the right hand lamp iron is removed as per this particular prototype (which is mirrored on the Bunker), the remaining lamp irons have been narrowed down. Sandbox fillers added from plastic rod with etched "lids".

post-28743-0-11383100-1472386540.jpg

The Bunker has had the chunky moulded lamp irons removed, along with the moulded sliding hatch at the bottom. Holes drilled for new etched lamp irons in the correct positions. The small hatch between the spectacle plates, as well as the roof hatch, may receive some attention too.

The bufferbeams will be replaced with etched ones (RT again), though I need to source some suitable buffers which look not unlike BR heavy duty wagon buffers without the footstep (and which I have in my spares box, but any suggestions welcome).

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

post-28743-0-78209000-1472820697.jpg

"EBBW" has had a black base layer applied and the RT Models bufferbeams, under-cab pipework and chimney (latter just fitted) have arrived. A sheet of transfers have been run off the PC for the names (with various background colours to allow for the final shade of green I use for patch painting). Next job is to paint the bufferbeams, bunker rear and tank front white in readyness for the chevron transfers (as I don't have any white transfer film to hand. . . ).

• Like 1

That Dapol J94 has come up rather nicely. I have an old (I think) Hornby one to deal with at some stage (and convert to P4).

Thanks Kelly, the joyful stage of heavy weathering next! One of the pleasures of the J94 is the ease of working on the chassis so hope your re-wheeling exercise turns out well, at least there are no splasher clearances etc to worry about!

Thanks Kelly, the joyful stage of heavy weathering next! One of the pleasures of the J94 is the ease of working on the chassis so hope your re-wheeling exercise turns out well, at least there are no splasher clearances etc to worry about!

If it proves too difficult, IIRC RT do a replacement chassis which would probably be easier to convert to P4 (but obviously more expensive).

If it proves too difficult, IIRC RT do a replacement chassis which would probably be easier to convert to P4 (but obviously more expensive).

I guess the drive gear would be the most difficult issue? I seem to recall Ultrascale (many years ago) did a J94 replacement wheelset in P4 with a new gear, could be mistaken though. Although if using the original chassis some form of chassis overlay (plasticard?) would improve the appearance no end with a P4 conversion. Will you be posting a thread when you do it?

Thanks,

Martyn.

I guess the drive gear would be the most difficult issue? I seem to recall Ultrascale (many years ago) did a J94 replacement wheelset in P4 with a new gear, could be mistaken though. Although if using the original chassis some form of chassis overlay (plasticard?) would improve the appearance no end with a P4 conversion. Will you be posting a thread when you do it?

Thanks,

Martyn.

Getting hold of Ultrascale conversions/wheels is lengthy and expensive these days so I'd likely have to go with Alan Gibson wheels and figure it out as I went. IIRC the EMGS had a manual on doing it, which could be adapted for P4, might also be something on the s4society forum, but I've yet to look.

I will post a thread when I get around to it, but quite when it might be is another matter entirely as I have a fair few others ahead of it, and sadly my health hasn't been good enough (and not found time either) to do any modelling for a few months.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Getting hold of Ultrascale conversions/wheels is lengthy and expensive these days so I'd likely have to go with Alan Gibson wheels and figure it out as I went. IIRC the EMGS had a manual on doing it, which could be adapted for P4, might also be something on the s4society forum, but I've yet to look.

I will post a thread when I get around to it, but quite when it might be is another matter entirely as I have a fair few others ahead of it, and sadly my health hasn't been good enough (and not found time either) to do any modelling for a few months.

Sorry to hear that, hope you get well soon. Quite tempted to rewheel my effort as the Dapol wheels are a bit chunky to say the least, although sticking with OO. They do look a little better painted in fairness so will see how it goes.