A couple of photos highlighting the use of Trix v Triang parts, just to add to earlier comments above. As many are aware, the Trix Mk.1 coaches are nominally to 1/80 scale for some strange reason, so producing a 1/76 scale Mk.1 from them would be a formidable challenge, as the windows are thus also slightly undersized. However this is to our advantage when it comes to the Class 126, which had slightly smaller windows and different spacings than a Mk.1. The bodysides are also about 1.5mm too shallow for 4mm Scale, which is corrected by adding the aforementioned strip along the base, which in turn lifts the window line to the correct height. Triang coach to the right here:

20200601_081307.jpg.a2b33c449592f3fbf96beae313f09286.jpg

The Trix roof (and thus body width) is about 0.5 - 0.75mm narrower than the Triang one; when the ride height of both are the same, this discrepancy is barely noticable when coupled together; when side by side it is not noticable at all. In this case of course, the 2 types would not be coupled together so the slight discrepancy doesn't worry me. Use of a Triang shell/roof would alleviate this, but as is usually my case I wanted to use as much as possible of the donor models and in any case the bodyside profile is not strictly correct for a 126 anyway.

20200601_081204.jpg.12d44e8ba014eaa0e26bba301c54f410.jpg

Spot the width difference!

20200601_090017.jpg.e44ece9528da47135e9089adfefab8fe.jpg

• Like 5

The "here's one I did earlier with the current model" photo.

20200601_093520.jpg.d32ce93d13146c92629ccfee44074b7e.jpg

In terms of the body, the small windows either side of the centre door are the main area needing attention, by removal of the horizontal bar and slight opening out towards the door, with a plasticard infill at the opposite end. Then apply filler across all joints prior to sanding down.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

OK that’s me hooked . Just sourced 3 Trix coaches for a dam reasonable price on that famous website . On the lookout for more .  Next step is to re read this thread from start for tips on the build . Already have a Lima 117 , so that’s probably going to be the basis of a RTR chassis .  I blame Signaller69 and Clive for this . No seriously ,thanks for the inspiration on this ! I really doubt a 126 will ever make it to RTR so the only way to get one of these units will be to take the initiative !  BR Blue to keep it simple I think , maybe blue/grey . 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Legend said:

OK that’s me hooked . Just sourced 3 Trix coaches for a dam reasonable price on that famous website . On the lookout for more .  Next step is to re read this thread from start for tips on the build . Already have a Lima 117 , so that’s probably going to be the basis of a RTR chassis .  I blame Signaller69 and Clive for this . No seriously ,thanks for the inspiration on this ! I really doubt a 126 will ever make it to RTR so the only way to get one of these units will be to take the initiative !  BR Blue to keep it simple I think , maybe blue/grey . 

Great stuff, excellent news! 

I imagine if a certain company with blue boxes did actually get around to doing a RTR one it would be around £300 at today's prices....

I have put an index in post #1 of this thread to help find stuff again, the 126 project starts from around Page 5. As remarked, an unpowered DMSLi is probably the easiest place to start, particularly if a Trix RMB is the main donor. I suggest using the DMU diagram book plans on the Barrowmore site for reference too.

For me the worst part is all the time consuming filling and sanding which gets a bit messy. But it's great once you start to see progress!

Ask away if you need any info.

Good luck!

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 2 sides have been sanded and primed, as usual a few small blemishes needed remedial filling as can be seen. Once these are sorted and re-primed, they will be glued to the ends, which in turn are screwed to the chassis, so that the complete sides & ends assembly can be sprayed blue away from the roof and chassis.

20200602_234330.jpg.ba04bbab3426985be4c14d9e3799bf5f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Today, all roof detail was removed and replaced with cast vents in correct locations, before this was primed along with the sides (again).

Whilst these were drying I moved onto the underframe details; I had the dilemma of whether to copy the Lima chassis arrangement of the first build, in order that they both look the same(ish), or try for a better approximation based on photos; I chose the latter. I had next to no underframe details available other than the Hornby 101 trailer chassis which I was going to use for this project anyway, so the parts were carefully removed with a razor saw and fixed to the Replica chassis using photos as a guide. A couple of Lima 117 air tanks and some small details from a Replica MLV underframe detail set completed this aspect. Buffers still need sorting.

20200603_204307.jpg.d96f98f86a9266b0fe9cd589a7c42175.jpg

The original Trix fixing screw has been re-used through the Replica chassis to hold it all together.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I am going to have to suggest this on your DMUs, could save money if a lot to be done.

They appear to have a set of standard parts, I have noticed that Lima are more or less accurate (but crude) for many but not all.

But for ones not like the Lima I would suggest obtaining and making patterns of common underframe bits and making moulds from them and casting your own resin.

They will also help to achieve uniformity.

May be worth doing on the Replica based ones, or even allow you to use any underframe or just use plastic card.

I did for my catering coaches and Derby DMU roof domes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2020 at 14:34, Signaller69 said:

Great stuff, excellent news! 

I imagine if a certain company with blue boxes did actually get around to doing a RTR one it would be around £300 at today's prices....

I have put an index in post #1 of this thread to help find stuff again, the 126 project starts from around Page 5. As remarked, an unpowered DMSLi is probably the easiest place to start, particularly if a Trix RMB is the main donor. I suggest using the DMU diagram book plans on the Barrowmore site for reference too.

For me the worst part is all the time consuming filling and sanding which gets a bit messy. But it's great once you start to see progress!

Ask away if you need any info.

Good luck!

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

Not the class 126 or the earlier ScR 79xxx series, for some reason I had separated them from the other diagrams, before I lent my DMU diagrams to the Barrowmore group so were not scanned. They are in one the coaching stock diagram books but are much easier to find on the Railcar Association website. https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-126/diagrams-and-design-codes

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martyn

Not the class 126 or the earlier ScR 79xxx series, for some reason I had separated them from the other diagrams, before I lent my DMU diagrams to the Barrowmore group so were not scanned. They are in one the coaching stock diagram books but are much easier to find on the Railcar Association website. https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-126/diagrams-and-design-codes

Hi Clive,

Thanks I'd forgotten they are on the Railcar site, your link does make finding them easier thanks.

The 126 Drawings are in book 220 on the Barrowmore site however, albeit they take a lot of scrolling to find (Type as annotated on plans):

DMS                          (DP208)  P19

DMBS (E&G)            (DQ225)  P175

DMBS  (Ayrshire)    (DQ226)  P177

TS                              (DT223)   P293

TS                              (DT224)   P295

Perhaps they were added later?

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, MJI said:

I am going to have to suggest this on your DMUs, could save money if a lot to be done.

They appear to have a set of standard parts, I have noticed that Lima are more or less accurate (but crude) for many but not all.

But for ones not like the Lima I would suggest obtaining and making patterns of common underframe bits and making moulds from them and casting your own resin.

They will also help to achieve uniformity.

May be worth doing on the Replica based ones, or even allow you to use any underframe or just use plastic card.

I did for my catering coaches and Derby DMU roof domes.

An undoubtedly good idea. My problem is when I do such a conversion I think "well I won't be doing another one of those". Then a few months later the inevitable happens! However I do intend to invest in a resin casting set as I have a few other bits I want to do, so I might knock up a set of underframe parts.

9 hours ago, MJI said:

Your bodyside joins are going well. I am currently having fun with an uneven one myself.

They are better than they were, but mine are not perfect I have to say. There are a couple of areas I will probably revisit. Worst parts I find are where a thin sliver of side is inserted between 2 panels; inevitably it either stands proud or recessed. Filler and a small flat piece of wood with sandpaper over it is about the only way that seems to deal with this issue, but even then some slight uneven-ness usually remains. BR Blue being a fairly dark colour helps hide this thankfully.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martyn

Oooh

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/swindon-79xxx/diagrams

I KNOW I should not but they did run on a railway which is now a preserved line.

If I did mine would be W.

But I would want to use brass sides.

• Like 1

After more filling, sanding and priming, the body sides and ends (still separate parts at the moment) were given a final coat of dark grey as a better base for the BR Blue top coat (the same grey car bumper colour aerosol I use for the roof, which was done at the same time). When dry, the blue was applied and this is where we are now.

20200608_164718.jpg.0d4db7cf364e4b2a891ac39dc3267f24.jpg

The glossy blue finish will be matt varnished to hide the slight undulations once transfers have been applied. 

The Worseley Works Gloucester Class 100 sides & ends arrived this morning, I need to work out how to achieve the lower body turn-under and how it will work best with the Hornby 110 donor before proceeding though.

20200608_162624.jpg.40848dd7e37e638393511d6a5dc9bd10.jpg

• Like 9

The Bo’ness TMD Facebook page has put up an album of their Class 126 today, it was supposed to get a few runs this weekend as part of their Cancelled Diesel Gala. Some good detail pictures of the unit in the album.

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, turbos said:

The Bo’ness TMD Facebook page has put up an album of their Class 126 today, it was supposed to get a few runs this weekend as part of their Cancelled Diesel Gala. Some good detail pictures of the unit in the album.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, must have missed that feed, will have a look.

Martyn.

Off the current topics but talking of Facebook links, this "Trotskeetravel" Ebay image popped up the other day in a group I follow:

s-l400.jpg

Glasgow Central c.1971. The crane is of particular interest in the earlier livery, with BR arrows, if anyone can point to similar photos, number, plans (or even known length) etc?

I found this on Paul Bartlett's site which looks the same type:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtwinjibcrane/h1da1edfc

I can see it being added to the to do list.....failing which, one of the Warwell based versions may be tackled.:yes:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Off the current topics but talking of Facebook links, this "Trotskeetravel" Ebay image popped up the other day in a group I follow:

s-l400.jpg

Glasgow Central c.1971. The crane is of particular interest in the earlier livery, with BR arrows, if anyone can point to similar photos, number, plans (or even known length) etc?

I found this on Paul Bartlett's site which looks the same type:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtwinjibcrane/h1da1edfc

I can see it being added to the to do list.....failing which, one of the Warwell based versions may be tackled.:yes:

What a great contraption that crane looks, love the bay window in the control 'shed' cant say iv ever noticed one of these before. Hope you find some plans and have a go at one.

Top work on the mk1 bashing as well, im getting more tempted into bashing some DMUs, will be watching the 100 build with interest.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

What a great contraption that crane looks, love the bay window in the control 'shed' cant say iv ever noticed one of these before. Hope you find some plans and have a go at one.

Top work on the mk1 bashing as well, im getting more tempted into bashing some DMUs, will be watching the 100 build with interest.

Cheers

James

Thanks James, the 100 may be a while coming yet, though I do have an idea for sorting the turn-under.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turbos said:

Brian.

Just had a look through, nice photos, cab interior views are useful too. Thanks again for the heads up.

• Like 1